merman

Issue with UCS AT-AT!!!

3 minutes ago, Kage Goomba said:

consider it one

He clearly states that this is an "imposible LEGO".
You can never get that axle out again.

(using sharp knife point, excessive pressure, etc not included)

Edited by JaBaCaDaBra

Where does he state its impossible?

All I see is " See step 131 of the first booklet. There is no way you can get this axle out!!! "

EDIT: ok maybe not.

But I still don't see the problem in it not being removed - let alone why you want it removed later.

Edited by Kage Goomba

Sorry could not post pictures here. I take my models apart after a while and this is a huge building error. 

This most likely is a designer's error which has been missed by the QA team.

There is no way to legally disassemble this. 

Good suggestion! And you can be all lightly about it but this is a €800 set and I don’t think many people will realize you cannot take it apart if you follow the instructions

Edited by merman

Looks like the axles don't do anything (aside from preventing disassembly that is) so I'll just swap them out for a standard black pin on the outside of the rectangle.

75313 fix.jpg

1 minute ago, Kage Goomba said:

Or not use the green pipe saving you the trouble of using other parts?

If you do that, the orange pin could be pushed inside the rectangle when you attach the 1x2 liftarms at steps 171 & 220, which can't happen with a regular black pin on the outside.

Oh yay, an illegal build made it in to a thousand dollar set. This is gold, I can't wait to watch this get blown way out of proportion. People who never intended to buy this set will be using this as their excuse not to buy it and will cause copious amounts of drama just like the perceived lack of minifigures in the gunship.

Very surprising... why didn't this get out sooner? A lot of the people who had review copies definitely would have picked up on that being illegal.

I foresee this causing massive problems. Not only can you not get the axle out, you can't get the frame off of the turntable with the axle in place. People are definitely going to end up attaching the frame to the turntable wrong and will be unable to fix it once they realize their mistake. It's possible this was done on purpose for stability reasons, but I'm guessing this is a massive oversight from quality control and I reckon there's a high chance we'll see a fix akin what happened with the Wall-E ideas set.

Edited by Brikkyy13

7 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

A lot of the people who had review copies definitely would have picked up on that being illegal.

This is the most surprising part. There must have been dozens of review copies sent out, and no-one said anything about it. At least I've now been warned before mine arrives.

9 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

It's possible this was done on purpose for stability reasons

Only reason I can think of is when you lift the model, the axles might be to stop the weight of the legs from pulling down on the 4 black pins connecting the rectangle to the turntable? But the 1x2 liftarms attached on the outside would prevent them from falling off completely, and there's other ways they could have braced it internally which wouldn't prevent disassembly.

1 hour ago, Kage Goomba said:

But I still don't see the problem in it not being removed - let alone why you want it removed later.

Typically, though not for everyone, the problem is that folks don't buy Lego as static entities.  In other words, "Shelf Queens".  They seek to modify, build better, or use the parts to build something completely new at some point.  

I think that is changing.  For these large UCS sets, folks do build once, then leave for the ages.  I consider this less about building, and more like just an assembly set.  If you are that type of buyer... great.  And this is likely not a problem.  But I think still most are not that type, and they want to rebuild, modify, etc. and therefore an inability to disassemble is a big deal.  

The orange pin is used to avoid that the pin is pulled out when you remove the leg from the body, maybe for transport or for other (strange) reasons. The black one would be pulled out and then you would have some kind of trouble to fix the leg again. I would propose to use a 2l liftarm instead of the grey Axle connector next to the green piece. The 2l liftarm 43857 can be attached to the turntable in step number 120, you need to replace the one black pin by famous blue one, 3l long and another black pin. In such way you would fix the orange pin. The green piece and the axle with stop would not be needed anymore.

Maybe they did not find anybody to take it apart and to check feasibility - too much effort....

2 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

A lot of the people who had review copies definitely would have picked up on that being illegal.

I saw it when I built the model but didn't mention it in my review as I considered it was kinda irrelevant for most Lego fans.
I will report it to TLG though. Doubt they will update the product, but well, we never know...

6 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Oh yay, an illegal build made it in to a thousand dollar set. This is gold, I can't wait to watch this get blown way out of proportion. People who never intended to buy this set will be using this as their excuse not to buy it and will cause copious amounts of drama just like the perceived lack of minifigures in the gunship.

Very surprising... why didn't this get out sooner? A lot of the people who had review copies definitely would have picked up on that being illegal.

I foresee this causing massive problems. Not only can you not get the axle out, you can't get the frame off of the turntable with the axle in place. People are definitely going to end up attaching the frame to the turntable wrong and will be unable to fix it once they realize their mistake. It's possible this was done on purpose for stability reasons, but I'm guessing this is a massive oversight from quality control and I reckon there's a high chance we'll see a fix akin what happened with the Wall-E ideas set.

I Get that.....but drama is right.
Even in terms of disassembly its not that bad.

59 minutes ago, Guyinaplaguemask said:

A tiny bit of hot flue on a toothpick might do it, my headphones nonstick in my phone jack and the tip broke off. This strategy worked

Clever - was thinking along the same lines last night - but I was also trying to avoid damage so I was hesitant to bring it up.

I've had to deal with nasty situations as I tend to LED kit my models so I'm quite familiar with the hazards.

Edited by Kage Goomba

I actually built this subassembly. I did manage to take it apart again but it does take some bending and force to get a bit of the axle to stick out so you can grab the stop part of the axle with your fingernail. Not the right way to go, Lego.

Edited by merman

The good news is that the going rate for that 4L axle is less than a cent, so if worst came to worst and you did have to damage it to get it out, it's definitely not a big deal to replace it.

I didn’t even notice that when building. I never plan to take this set apart so don’t really see a massive issue here. Are you really spending this much on a set to take it apart straight away?