Dyen

Self Loading Log Truck - 42128 B model

Hello everyone, I wanna introduce you my new Self Loading Log Truck which is my alternative build for Lego set 42128 Heavy Duty Tow Truck.
This model contains 1822 parts and has lot of functions like moving pistons in fake 6 cylinder engine, opening hood, opening doors, detailed interior, HOG steering knob on the roof. On the left side of the model, there are two knobs above each other and the ladder for the operator.

51673596957_d00a4efe6c_c.jpg
These knobs are for rotating grapple boom and second one for side outriggers. On the other side there is a pump for pneumatic functions, with which you can operate boom, grabber for logs is operated manually. There are another two knobs on the sides, one for rear axle lift and second one for winch that is basically for tightening the load..
More pics:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/142407982@N08/albums/72157720132453543

51675070569_52f3b1ab86_c.jpg

Let me know what you think about it, here is the video presentation :classic:

If you want to build it, instructions are on my rebrickable:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-92600/Dyens Creations/self-loading-log-truck-42128-alternative-model/#details

This is a solid alternate! Looks great, and I like the repurposing of the available functional elements. Moving the raisable axle to the rear is a nice modification, and the reuse of the hooks and cord is also a smart one :)

I just might have to buy those building instructions as a Christmas present for myself - it looks like a great model!

Cool alternate, looks good and packed with realistic and playable functions.

I spotted one error in the parts list on RB, the differential should be number  62821c instead of 62821b. It could puzzle some people…

Edited by GerritvdG
iPhone typos

I like what you have done here. Each part individually looks pretty good, the cab is really nice. But the setup as a whole looks a bit weird to me. The truck is super long, but the logs it can carry are pretty short.

Maybe a "Euro-style" cab would be have been a better choice here because it isn't that long leaving more room for the logs.

But that's just me, it is still pretty cool!

4 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

I like what you have done here. Each part individually looks pretty good, the cab is really nice. But the setup as a whole looks a bit weird to me. The truck is super long, but the logs it can carry are pretty short.

Maybe a "Euro-style" cab would be have been a better choice here because it isn't that long leaving more room for the logs.

But that's just me, it is still pretty cool!

Normally self loaders with the loader behind the cab drag a single beam trailer and generally carry longs. Where this has been set for what we call shorts.  Call it artistic liscence 

I think it's  neat moc. There is a lot of hints of 9397 there. 

Damn, this is awesome :wub: I know this is a small thing, but I really like the winch to secure the load. I never would've thought of that

Edited by Bartybum

Really cool MOC! :-)

I especially love your design of the gripper, so efficient!

Currently working on a log truck in 1:17 scale and using the same ideal to place the pneumatic switches beside the seat as a working place. 

Totally agree with others. Absolutely wonderful alternate !!

I like the fact that it's feature rich with interestingly implemented functions, matching the spirit of the original Lego set.

Thank you very much guys! 

On 11/24/2021 at 9:39 PM, SamS said:

I just might have to buy those building instructions as a Christmas present for myself - it looks like a great model!

Let me know when you want to buy it, I'll give you Christmas discount :classic: