Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

Tulips ... and sistershipping

Willem Guilder was entranced by his surroundings when he was startled by the knock at the door. After another knock, he came to his senses and loudly said “Come in!”

The courier entered the parlor of the Governor’s mansion and immediately wondered if he had accidentally gone to the greenhouse. “Wow, tulips!” he remarked.

02aide.jpg

“Yes, yes,” Guilder replied, happy that the courier knew what the flowers were. “They’re the latest rage. We’ve discovered fascinating plants and fruit and such from all over the Brick Seas – bananas, pineapples, pumpkins – but these tulips seem the most remarkable, and they’re from Pontelli!”

“Yessir, my missus has been all over me to get her some.”

“Well, please, take some. You must keep the little lady happy. Which do you fancy?”

01full.jpg

“They’re all lovely. She’d be happy with any of them.”

“I’m partial to the Norwegian Blue, myself,” remarked Guilder.

03guilder.jpg

“Er, that’s Royal Blue, sir,” replied the courier. “The Norwegian Blue is a parrot.”

“Ah, yes, quite right,” replied Guilder, “but they’re still my favorite.”

“Where did you get all these?”

“My brother Thomas acquired these for me. He’s quite the insider on the tulip trade. I must seek his advice, as I think the MCTC needs to take advantage of this booming market.”

“Yes, indeed,” agreed the courier.

After a pause, the courier asked, “Why did you send for me, sir?”

“Oh, yes,” said Guilder, again breaking his tulip trance. “Take these orders down to the shipyard. We must get the Oscuridad’s sister ship out of dry dock.”

04close.jpg

“Very good, sir. And thank you for the tulips.”

Guilder’s reply did not come, his attention returned to the tulips.

------

A small vig to sistership the Oscuridad III, and to get in on the tulip craze. All C&C welcome.

Excellent looking scene!

The coat rack is really well done, the brown frogs! Honestly that's a use I couldn't have ever imagined...

And, I wonder how one plays 'chess' with only 4 units per side? I'd like to know the rules of this game ;)

Nice little scene! the coat rack is well done, and the rest of the furniture is excellent as well. I especially love the chess board though, I've never seen that done, and I think it's an excellent little addition. The masonry on the walls is another excellent touch. 

The story is great as well! I love the reference to Monty Python, and the continuing influence of the tulips. They're very.... tribbley... :pir-laugh:

Lovely interior and story. Awesome job. I especially like the chairs and doorway. While the window frames are obviously a little thick, the arched shape and lattice are stellar. The coatrack design is good, though perhaps a shorter bar would look more natural with minifig height (a 4L?) - it's very tall!

Nice bright colors overall, too!

Great story and a very nice room. The chess board is a good idea, I like it.

Cool to see the tulip rage expand even further! :pir-classic:  I love how the other things you mentioned--banana, pumpkin, pineapple--are all in the room too, but kinda tucked into corners.  The chessboard is also really neat, makes me feel like I've lost many opportunities to include a gameboard of some sort in my interior scenes!

:pir_laugh2: The tulip madness is spreading!  Always good to see :pir-laugh:  I do have to say, I was rather expecting this to happen though:

On 11/21/2021 at 9:27 PM, Capt Wolf said:

“Well, please, take some. You must keep the little lady happy. Which do you fancy?”

"They’re all lovely. She’d be happy with any of them."

..."Very good, sir. And thank you for the tulips.”

Guilder snapped out of his tulip trance again for a second. 

"Yes, sure, my pleasure!  That'll be 11 doubloons please." 

:pir-grin: :pir-laugh:

On 11/21/2021 at 6:51 PM, Thomas Waagenaar said:

Excellent looking scene!

The coat rack is really well done, the brown frogs! Honestly that's a use I couldn't have ever imagined...

And, I wonder how one plays 'chess' with only 4 units per side? I'd like to know the rules of this game ;)

Thanks. Yes, the brown frogs are great for fancy furniture. I've used them in other builds as well.

And, obviously, it's "BoBS chess." :pir-grin:   I did initially build a full chessboard, but it was way too big.

On 11/22/2021 at 1:12 AM, Mesabi said:

Nice little scene! the coat rack is well done, and the rest of the furniture is excellent as well. I especially love the chess board though, I've never seen that done, and I think it's an excellent little addition. The masonry on the walls is another excellent touch. 

The story is great as well! I love the reference to Monty Python, and the continuing influence of the tulips. They're very.... tribbley... :pir-laugh:

Thanks. I built the chess board a few months ago and have been looking for a place to use it.

And the Monty Python reference was a must! :pir_laugh2:

On 11/23/2021 at 2:28 AM, NOD said:

Great story and a very nice room. The chess board is a good idea, I like it.

Thank you!

On 11/23/2021 at 8:27 AM, Kai NRG said:

Cool to see the tulip rage expand even further! :pir-classic:  I love how the other things you mentioned--banana, pumpkin, pineapple--are all in the room too, but kinda tucked into corners.  The chessboard is also really neat, makes me feel like I've lost many opportunities to include a gameboard of some sort in my interior scenes!

Thanks. It started with the pineapple, then I figured I needed bananas. The pumpkin hasn't shown up in any other stories, but I had the piece, so it made the scene.

On 11/23/2021 at 10:18 AM, Garmadon said:

:pir_laugh2: The tulip madness is spreading!  Always good to see :pir-laugh:  I do have to say, I was rather expecting this to happen though:

On 11/21/2021 at 6:27 PM, Capt Wolf said:

"They’re all lovely. She’d be happy with any of them."

..."Very good, sir. And thank you for the tulips.”

Guilder snapped out of his tulip trance again for a second. 

"Yes, sure, my pleasure!  That'll be 11 doubloons please." 

Oh, I absolutely should have done that! It just wasn't where my head was when I was composing the story. Absolutely a missed opportunity!

Of course, I would have had to check @Captain Braunsfeld's latest post to find the current prices.

A very fine build. Quite exquisite. And grown men talking about tulips. This is how it has to be! :pir-laugh:

But of course everybody knows that the Norwegian Blue is a parrot. Captain Cookie is happy to have one:

Cookies Cabin 1 (6)

But that is besides the point. 

Thanks for keeping the tulip topic up while I was away on Brickmania Antwerpen. :pir-sweet: