Sign in to follow this  
Mesabi

[COR-PROJECT] The University of Tiberia's new Budget Plan

Type: Royal Project Piece

It was a pleasant day in Arlinsport at the University of Tiberia. Birds were chirping, and students pleasantly milled about beside the administrative office. 

51692248158_17f4136842_z.jpg

When suddenly, the sounds a maddened horse and rider charged towards the building. 

51691179952_affc3fd07d_z.jpg

"MOVE, NERDS!" yelled Countess Agnes Mesabi at the top of her lungs, as she charged her loyal steed, "Buttercup" into the main concourse.

51691976441_a6cbb90304_z.jpg

Students dived to the side as she fired her pistol into the air, and Buttercup reared aggressively. 

51691179577_b525752d57_z.jpg

Countess Mesabi dismounted, and slapped Buttercup on the hindquarters. Buttercup raced towards the nearest body of students as Agnes walked towards the door of the Administrative building. 

51692656399_f0eb6960a0_z.jpg

Meanwhile, An adjunct professor watched in horror as students ran from Buttercups clomping hooves. 

51691179372_eddc7dd607_z.jpg

Countess Mesabi arrived at the board of regents meeting a timely seven minutes late. She dropped a parcel of papers onto the table, and coughed loudly.

"You're late" said the chair of the department of sciences. "And why was there screaming and gunshots outside?" 

"I come here to do business, and all you want to talk about is screaming nerds. I thought you were professionals!" said Agnes crankily. "Also, don't worry, it was a blank." 

"Countess Mesabi, we're a bit... alarmed by your entrance, but let's move past that. You're here on behalf of the WTC to help the university with budgetary matters?"

51692865605_b457a58b9e_z.jpg

"Yes of course," replied Agnes. "The WTC is willing to give a large endowment to the university, provided you name a building or two after me, and help us offload some WTC products that aren't flying off the shelves like they used to. I see it as a win win." 

"Meaning exactly what?" Asked another board member. 

"Well, we have excess Horse meat to get rid of, some of it cut with low quality Giraffe. That of course can be put in the cafeteria. Also, we want to be the exclusive arms dealer to the UoT."

"We Will NOT have our students eating WTC horse slop!" Yelled a board member. 

Wordlessly, Agnes pointed to the endowment proposal on the table.

The Board members looked at it, and glanced at each other. A collective sigh filled the room. 

"Which building do you want named after you?" Asked the chair. 

51692656224_52204a9ed2_z.jpg

"Here Buttercup!" yelled Countess Mesabi, as she walked out of another successful meeting. Namere awaited once more. 

FIN

Thanks for viewing my build! 

I've been wanting to get this royal project done for a while now, and this is a bit of a start on getting back to it. This build took a lot of work to get right, it went through quite a few design phases before I was satisfied. The entryway is the focal point of the build, and is based off of the entrance to The Golden Cat, from Dishonored. I ran out of a lot of bricks towards the end, which is why the top is rather plain, but I think it turned out alright. 

I really tried to improve on some specific things from my last build. The road is definitely more worn, and I think it looks good, although perhaps a tad modern. I also utilized the trick of putting plates behind the windows to darken them, as recommended by Ayrlego and Evancelt.  I'm not sure how well it all comes across though, and I may need to re-photograph some of it. 

I'm hoping I can spark some interest in finishing the royal project. Though, the stories around this project might be a bit zany for other people's characters, and cause some people to not be interested. Either way, it's always fun to write for Agnes at her worst. :pir-grin:

C&C appreciated, per my usual list of sins: 

• I'm sure some bricks aren't fully pushed down, this one used a lot of plates, and so it's kinda fragile. 
  • Fleshies inhabit the same world as yellow figs. :pir-skel:
  • You can see the blanket under my white background in one shot. 
  • I have the same table, and bookshelves prefabs as at least 10 other builds. 
  • I take my photographs with my phone camera, a sun lamp, and a super bright bulb.
Spoiler

Also, @Bregir, what were you talking about Agnes not being a good character for diplomatic relations in pms? :pir_laugh2:

Great story! Countess Mesabi is a pretty, pleasant, modest and friendly woman. :devil_laugh: I especially like the last photo. The entrance to the university looks impressive. :pir-huzzah2:

You got some really nice stuff on your facade here, those doors are great as are the uniquely shaped gold pillars!  I also like how deeply inset the doors are, that's a kind of unusual choice!

Nice work @Mesabi! This build looks more substantial to me than some of your previous ones because of the depth (inset door) and by virtue of not being able to see the background through the windows!

Nice veg in front of the building

I especially like that shot with the horse rearing up.

If you have access to another light, positioning it at another angle to the build from your first light would remove a bunch of the shadows on the deep inset door. There is some editing you can do post-photo too to reduce shadows in Photoshop (check out Camera Raw filter - it's awesome!)

8 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Also, @Bregir, what were you talking about Agnes not being a good character for diplomatic relations in pms? :pir_laugh2:

Dodged a bullet! :pir-grin:

Edited by evancelt

On 11/20/2021 at 1:31 AM, NOD said:

Great story! Countess Mesabi is a pretty, pleasant, modest and friendly woman. :devil_laugh: I especially like the last photo. The entrance to the university looks impressive. :pir-huzzah2:

Thank you! I agree that Agnes's methods, while unorthodox, are often effective. 

On 11/20/2021 at 8:42 AM, Kai NRG said:

You got some really nice stuff on your facade here, those doors are great as are the uniquely shaped gold pillars!  I also like how deeply inset the doors are, that's a kind of unusual choice!

Thank you Kai! I really liked doing the texturing with the gold bricks, I think it helped with the ornate look of the building.

On 11/20/2021 at 9:12 AM, evancelt said:

Nice work @Mesabi! This build looks more substantial to me than some of your previous ones because of the depth (inset door) and by virtue of not being able to see the background through the windows!

If you have access to another light, positioning it at another angle to the build from your first light would remove a bunch of the shadows on the deep inset door. There is some editing you can do post-photo too to reduce shadows in Photoshop (check out Camera Raw filter - it's awesome!)

Thank you Evan! 

I have Photoshop CS6 (a decade old) and I will see what filters I have available there. 

On 11/20/2021 at 10:40 AM, LM71Blackbird said:

Wonderful build @Mesabi! A nice attention to detail throughout and a enjoyable story to accompany it.

Thank you Blackbird!