kopylov

[WIP] Turning 42096 Porsche 911 RSR into muscle car

Hello, everyone!

Right now I'm finishing bodywork of my muscle car. Since I have some photos of the building process, I've decided to start uploading them here gradually.

It's not a B model of this set bacause I am using not only 42096's parts, but since Porsche details are more than a half of all my Technic parts, I assume that car will consist mostly of 42096's parts.

Here you can see the first photo of the building process. The first goal was to move engine (in V-shape) to the front as low as possible. And in such a way that engine center of mass should be between front and rear axle (I just feel that it's right). In addition, I've removed rack's limiters to increase turning angles. 

51689460295_05a9f88ff6_z.jpg

I know that iconic engine would be V8, but I work with what I have.

Hi, it is nice to see more Porsches here!  I finished a Porsche project half a year ago and there is more of such projects here! But an idea of moving the engine is something new for me!

Are you planning to make an RC car or not? We wait for the updates on your project ;-) 

14 minutes ago, Daniel-99 said:

Hi, it is nice to see more Porsches here!  I finished a Porsche project half a year ago and there is more of such projects here! But an idea of moving the engine is something new for me!

Are you planning to make an RC car or not? We wait for the updates on your project ;-) 

Perhaps this was an inspiration for this build... front-engined-porsche-911s-redefine-the-

Hi there!

First of all, answers to the comments.

1. Thank you for your interest, Daniel. No, it's not an RC project. In fact, the model right now is so heavy that thoughts about the number of presumably required motors scares me.

2. An inspiration for this build are just American muscle cars. It wouldn't resemle Porsche at all

Now let's see what changes had been made. Here you can see the first version of the engine. 

51692476611_31d7dc785b_z.jpg

These two gears serve for steering.

51692476656_846031b804_z.jpg

Also I had to rebuild front suspension and now it feels very soft.

51692476666_dbe80ae097_z.jpg

In addition I changed the steering wheel incline. It seems strange to me to have horizontal steernig wheel axle.

51691680362_a09c02bca1_z.jpg

Axle that would be connected with rear wheels is connected with engine via rubber band.

As I said, it's the first version of the engine. Plethora of gears in the steering mechanism produce too much friction for the steering (some gears are not presented in the photo). Also, I don't like this rubber band linkage. I've already rebuild it and you will see it next time

Hi, everybody!

There is an another update on this project. As I said last time, I wasn't satisfied with that engine. So, I've rebuilt it in more proper way. Now, this two gears connect engine with the drive shaft.

51697893704_ec352a85fc_z.jpg

Also, I've remade the steering mechanism. Now it is very simple and smooth. In addition, I've added 1 stud to the wheelbase. I would prefer it even longer, but I assume that I can't afford further extension because of shortage of lego parts.

51697216041_ef85d0006f_z.jpg

At last, I've added fenders and doors. I've mounted fenders at some angle and it looks very cool. Also, I've made curved doors that suits these fenders very much.51697909344_7fee665f81_z.jpg

I know that classic muscle car should have live rear axle, but I've decided to keep the rear suspension as it is, since I haven't yet came to an understanding of how I can make live axle properly. Next time I'm going to show you the front of the car and a prototype of the trunk.

Very nice fenders! Perfect! Really like how they cover the wheels - most of the Lego official models do not have such a feature! And a wheel base is better now as well! - see my previous comment on another project, where i was complaining about the short wheel base! Also you have a realistic angle of a steering wheel.

One thing im not really pleased with is the rims!, i know that the Porsche set has a standard symmetric rims, but that is unacceptable for a sportcar! Just look how the rims from the Land Rover set looks! These are two of my RC projects in 1:10 scale.

The Porsche 911 RSR was the first one and in order to get a proper steering, i bought a Land Rover set ;-) Scrab radius is important then going fast, and also it looks 100 times better! 

But i will repeat again, your project is very interesting! And the photos are good as well! I wish you a good luck and clever ideas! Keep building!

P.S. The muscle car should really have live rear axle. I suppose there are plenty of examples on the youtube. By the way, a new Lego technic Ford Raptor has a nice live axle and you can modify it for your needs. Also recently i was developing RC 4x4 cars with live axles, so i get some experience in them.. I will make post some time in the nearest future, and this might also helps you! You can keep working on the bodywork, just reserve some space for the live axle at the back ;-) Since you moved the engine to the front it will not be hard to do!

Hello! There is an another update!

51807467568_b0abeb1526_z.jpg

I did a front and some shape of trunk with a bottom (there is some cargo in the trunk)

51807465958_12d141b31b_z.jpg

Front features openable lights. I will show it later since I did not take a picture.

51807713259_a0fae27a42_z.jpg

This gold paper clip in the center of the car represents how should handbrake look like according to my girlfriend's opinion.

What's next:

I don't like the trunk, it would be redone. The vehicle frame is too flimsy and needs some reinforcement. Also I want to make rear lights in Dodge Charger 69-70 style

Hi there!

Now we have a roof!

51809660846_d648768159_z.jpg

Also some reinforcement of the frame was done, now it feels more strong. 

51808703522_549c7b10a4_z.jpg

Front view. Lights are openable.

51810395485_c80608eb5e_z.jpg

From above. New trunk and rear lights installed

What's next:

Hood and trunk lid

Hi there!

51812188656_e267337983_z.jpg

The first version of the hood. This black triangle is not a design idea - it is a shortage of white parts

51812293973_7fdf591859_z.jpg

The second version of the hood. I had to pull details from the trunk for it

Major update next time.

IMHO second one is better; somehow I don't like stairs like shape between black and white beams...

On 1/10/2022 at 4:23 PM, 1gor said:

IMHO second one is better

It looks like the old dodge charger. I like how the build looks!

This looks very promising. A version of the model that is not restricted to the parts of 42096 could become really awesome, there's lots of potential here.

Hi there!

I have got three new sets since last post, so we have a wider choice of details. I like the shape of the car that I built, but it was designed so badly that it was ready to fall apart in any second. So, I started a new one in this post I am going to present a chassis.

The first idea was to imitate rear springs with steering links. Actually, steering links resemble only a look of rear springs and all the job is done by shock absorbers.

52630486818_ef08bc24ff.jpg52630486813_9af3930e91.jpg

To eliminate transverse play I attached a Watt's linkage to the axle (you can see it behind rear frames).

52630003206_bc5e92f5b4.jpg

Dodge Charger has torsion bar front suspension. To imitate this type of suspenstion I decided to use pull back motors.

52630267489_ecf902da09.jpg

Front suspenstion has nonzero kingpin and castor angles. 

52630030006_37005c6a78.jpg

Also I have got two motors, so it will be powered up. I have decided to put motors in the front and battery block above the rear axis. I can't put it in the trunk because of length of wires. 

52630531288_da8cacac57_c.jpg

52630490040_5959a7c7b0_c.jpg

52630531478_6b9f4ba4bd_c.jpg

52629532657_ae5bccbb8d_c.jpg52630490095_b4f9c09913_c.jpg

Later I will post some pros and cons of this build.

30 minutes ago, kopylov said:

Dodge Charger has torsion bar front suspension. To imitate this type of suspenstion I decided to use pull back motors.

I love this model. But this... Would any TLG designer imagine such a kind of use of pullbacks? It is incredible!

Nice work! I really like the unconventional suspension ideas. The links work nicely to simulate leaf springs; the Watt's linkage is cool to see, and the pullback torsion suspension is pretty awesome! Does it work well?

Thank you for the comments! @2GodBDGlory short answer is: it's too soft but there are ways to improve it.

Now, as I mentioned before, I want to make some comments on the chassis.

I like the chassis. I did a good rear suspension, I don't even want to change anything there. Also I like the transmission tunnel. I have found a good way of connection panels, so it is very stiff. By the way, whole chassis is very stiff. It feels like one solid piece. I almost like the front suspension. I like the design, but it is very soft. 

Some possible problems and solutions:

1. Pullback motors are too soft. I twisted for a crisp each of them before connecting to the wishbones, but they still work without enthusiasm and I think that when I mount bodywork on the chassis they will stop returning to the upper position without help. I have 2 possible solutions here. First solution is to put them more widely to reduce the length of the lever. The second solution is to engage some gears here. 

2. The next possible problem is the height of the motor block. If it reveals that it interferes with the hood, I will have to do something with it. If I place pullback motors wider then I will have more space in the front to mount electric motors. So, the second problem will be solved automatically after solving the first problem.

3. The height of the battery block. If the battery block affects the car's look too much then I possibly will put it to the front. The steering rack eats too much space in the front, but if I manage to put the steering links under the body then I will have enough space in the front to mount the battery block. 

If the pullback suspension is too soft, could you try preloading it by winding it up a bit before inserting the suspension arm?

It's already preloaded to the maximum, but it is still too soft. It works on this stage, but I am afraid that it will not work with the weight of the bodywork 

1 minute ago, kopylov said:

It's already preloaded to the maximum, but it is still too soft. It works on this stage, but I am afraid that it will not work with the weight of the bodywork 

Ah, I see. That's annoying! Sometimes people just make torsion bar suspension by twisting axles, which is something you could try, but that can also be challenging to make hard, and would lose the quirky appeal of your solution!