Rusty43

Counting the bricks before build commences

Hello

This is my 1st post and also new to Lego.

I purchased 42114 Volvo 6x6 Volvo thru Amazon got to 3/4 way thru of bundle No1 of the pieces when I ran out of the grey gear cogs I found there were 2 missing. I explained this to Amazon chat they said we will replace the WHOLE UNIT & return the original which I have done.

My question is do I count all the pieces  before I start bearing in mind there are 2193 pieces.

Any help would be appreciated

I recommend calling Lego as they will better be able to help you than Amazon since if there are parts missing it is not really something Amazon can fix but Lego will send you the parts.

Also moving your post to the correct area, welcome to Eurobricks. :classic:

Hello

Thank you 

In addition I have just received from Amazon a replacement full kit and when I counted the (4640536) gear cogs I found that the manifest quoted 17 yet only 15 in the bag numbered 1

I am going to contact Lego to try and sort it out 

Thanx for your reply 

You can call Lego, or just go on the website to get replacement bricks. Its completely free and they're quick to get the pieces out to you. This can also help other builders because they may ask you for the letter/number sequence on the tape on the box as that pertains to lots/batches for quality control (its not a requirement to get missing pieces but it can help them to find out if something was widespread and fix the issue).

4 hours ago, Rusty43 said:

This is my 1st post and also new to Lego.....In addition I have just received from Amazon a replacement full kit and when I counted the (4640536) gear cogs I found that the manifest quoted 17 yet only 15 in the bag numbered 1.....

Since you are new to Lego, I will point out that not all of the same pieces included with a set are included in any particular bag.  If you have enough of the cogs to finish all of building steps for bag one then you will likely find the two remaining cogs in subsequent bags when you reach the build step where they are required.  

Otherwise if you are short the same pieces twice after receiving two different sets you might want to make sure you have not confused anything.  Lego can and does have part errors but they are quite uncommon so to have the same error twice in a row would be mind-bogglingly unlikely.

4 hours ago, Rusty43 said:

....In addition I have just received from Amazon a replacement full kit and when I counted the (4640536) gear cogs I found that the manifest quoted 17 yet only 15 in the bag numbered 1....

I just went through the instructions. By my count,  the steps for bag one require 15 of part #4640536 which is what you report having.

It looks like the remaining two of that part are used during bag two so that is where your "missing" two cogs should be found.

Lego divides pieces for sets based on when they are needed and not by type so the same piece will often be distributed throughout multiple bags.

In the future (as others have said) if you should come up short, Lego will replace missing parts via their on line shop even if you did not purchase the set directly from them.

It does sound like this is your error. As already noted, the bags typically contain the parts you need for each section of the manual and so the same part may be in multiple bags.

Although LEGO will replace missing parts, if you can get a return from a retailer like amazon then it will be significantly faster than LEGO's replacement service. You sometimes have to wait weeks to finish a build if you rely on LEGO. And strictly the purchase contract is with the retailer not the producer.

@Rusty43,

@Friscorays and @MAB have already identified the likely source of your confusion.

Before starting building, I often look at videos showing the build process on YouTube. A search for ‘lego’, the set’s number and ‘build’ is usually sufficient to locate them. Ignore any that are only reviews of the set and don’t show its assembly process. Some build videos show the contents of each bag as the contents are used in its construction. Those are the ones I think you will find most helpful.

Edited by AmperZand

3 hours ago, MAB said:

Although LEGO will replace missing parts, if you can get a return from a retailer like amazon then it will be significantly faster than LEGO's replacement service. You sometimes have to wait weeks to finish a build if you rely on LEGO. And strictly the purchase contract is with the retailer not the producer.....

It may be more expedient to return the partially built set and the the returned set may be resold at a discount but it is also possible that a lot of plastic Lego will end up in a dump somewhere so my preference would be to wait for the replacement parts. 

The purchase contract may be with retailer but Lego customer service makes complimentary replacement of missing or damaged parts pretty painless excluding the wait time for delivery.

10 minutes ago, Friscorays said:

It may be more expedient to return the partially built set and the the returned set may be resold at a discount but it is also possible that a lot of plastic Lego will end up in a dump somewhere so my preference would be to wait for the replacement parts. 

The purchase contract may be with retailer but Lego customer service makes complimentary replacement of missing or damaged parts pretty painless excluding the wait time for delivery.

Yes, I know. But that wait, especially if it runs to weeks, can ruin the build. It depends what the buyer wants.

2 minutes ago, MAB said:

Yes, I know. But that wait, especially if it runs to weeks, can ruin the build. It depends what the buyer wants.

Of course, which is why I explicitly stated that waiting for a missing part or two (which in this case probably aren't even actually missing) would be my preference rather than potentially dumping 2000+ pieces of plastic into the ground for the next 100 to 1300 years.

32 minutes ago, Friscorays said:

Of course, which is why I explicitly stated that waiting for a missing part or two (which in this case probably aren't even actually missing) would be my preference rather than potentially dumping 2000+ pieces of plastic into the ground for the next 100 to 1300 years.

The decision of what to do with a returned set is on the seller, not the buyer. If they dump something because it is more cost effective to them, it is their decision. A buyer should not be put off using their consumer rights due to assumptions about what a seller might or might not do with the return.

But I agree in this case, this is more likely builder error than a problem with the set.

On 11/16/2021 at 8:01 AM, Rusty43 said:

Hello

This is my 1st post and also new to Lego.

I purchased 42114 Volvo 6x6 Volvo thru Amazon got to 3/4 way thru of bundle No1 of the pieces when I ran out of the grey gear cogs I found there were 2 missing. I explained this to Amazon chat they said we will replace the WHOLE UNIT & return the original which I have done.

My question is do I count all the pieces  before I start bearing in mind there are 2193 pieces.

Any help would be appreciated

I remember when I first got back into LEGO, almost every set had something missing, lol, so after over 600 sets bought and built, I have only had three issues that required customer service. Those pieces can hide in the darnedest places, sometimes even in plain sight.

The good thing is now I have enough spare parts to cover most any missing pieces, which I use as a stand-in until the replacement arrives.

As others have already said the other two gears are likely in another bag and no I don't think it's necessary to count out all the parts before you start building. Unless maybe it is a used set and you don't plan on building it for some time.

Edited by Johnny1360

I have never been missing a piece after hundreds of sets. I have had a few replacements (mainly bent or creased stickers or scratched transparent pieces) which Lego have replaced no issues.

I have had plenty of little pieces missing when I get to a step but It is always amazing where I find them. Stuck inside tyres, in the back of other pieces, right in front of my face.

I do occasionally skip a step as I tend to build based on the picture now and sometimes miss a change, but at the end of a bag you can always tell if this has happened based on the left over pieces. The extras are that consistent in the bags for me.

When I first started I would first colour sort the bag and then get all the pieces for a step aside and then place them. I didn't make any mistakes when I did that. I no longer do that as I have become more advanced a builder, and can more easily recognise the parts in a big pile, but I would recommend it for new people. That and always keep your pieces on a table or a tray with a lip to avoid knocking them off.

Lol, yeah I still arrange and organize the elements, prior to building. Not necessary but it gives me a chance to look at and handle parts before knowing exactly what they are for.

Gives me ideas of my own.

This is my 1st time @ Lego I am still on bag 1 of the Volvo 6x6 

I placed all the items into separate IKEA small sealable bags and worked from there using the instructions I downloaded on to my Apple Mac that way I can drag the pics to a full size screen