Sign in to follow this  
MCD

Volvo F16 8x4 & 6x2 in the 1:21 Scale

Well, here we go! My first post on Eurobricks although I've been lurking on here for years and years!

As with many others, Covid afforded me the ability to revisit my childhood with Lego! Firstly building up all my old technic sets, but then dipping my toe in the water with the Mack Anthem and learning the newer elements! I rapidly discovered mocs, building a good handful of technicprojects great trucks! Bravely I then designed my own Ford F-Max Truck transporter and my first moc of the Mack Anthem with my Iveco Stralis. Both now available on rebrickable. Over the past 12 months I've really gotten to grips with Studio, with my understanding of the scale I have managed to develop models of my all time favourite from the 90s, the Volvo F16! Now I've seen F series in larger scales.. but never at 1:21 so hopefully i am the first?

807e6d3e0379919d1db63990214bbf99.jpg

0d155356b23efb84230a1c9b22d44dcd.jpg

Both feature a raising axle utilising a simple small linear actuator, far simpler than on the 42128 tow truck. Doors open and of course Hog Steering. They are otherwise static models. I do have trailers for both although the 6x2 really needs a Freuhauf tipper trailer so that's on the build list.

b2c20323bb999c186fe057b6323bc722.jpg

3efa930be8bf31a7b443a34a8a003e7c.jpg

4745bb8eb20aec07f1bb9d8e905309d3.jpg

7a1c1266563957006435396e623739c2.jpg

The inspiration to build an F16 came from a 1990 spec Volvo 8x4 operated by Heanor Haulage near where I grew up in the UK! I use to spend alot of time drawing this truck, so its great to be finally able to build my own model:

6ff80ec3648cacd4323c1ad89c0d1d62.jpg

This is my own version of a Nooteboom trailer with working removable gooseneck... its been through various guises this trailer but its really solid and looks the part;

cf9aed7ef4a5d0c2122d01c2e2995a38.jpg

ea11f85cf72115988250ebd143dd7d85.jpg

Well, that's about it for now! Thanks for reading my post! Look forward to your feedback and will share pictures of my other trucks soon,

Mike

#mcd_technic

F16 4.jpg

Edited by MCD

Very nice work! The integration of system and technic is seamless, the gaps are all in the right places, and overall the look is clean and tidy. My favorite detail is the trim around the main grille - clever!

P.S. Good job on the photos. Especially for the first post. To me that and video were the hardest parts at the beginning. And they still are... :hmpf:

2 hours ago, Milan said:

Great first post!
Frontpaged.

@Milan Wow!!! Thankyou so much..... (blushing emoji!)

1 hour ago, proran said:

Very nice work! The integration of system and technic is seamless, the gaps are all in the right places, and overall the look is clean and tidy. My favorite detail is the trim around the main grille - clever!

P.S. Good job on the photos. Especially for the first post. To me that and video were the hardest parts at the beginning. And they still are... :hmpf:

@proran Great comment, thankyou so much! Glad you like the integration, I think its the only way to get the detail? plus earlier trucks lend themselves a little more towards system? I'm also particularly pleased with the grill, took a lot of head scratching that one... definitely something Studio helped to solve!

1 hour ago, GerritvdG said:

Thanks for sharing these Volvo's:pir-love:! Nostalgia...

@GerritvdG Nail on the head.. that is the beauty of Lego for me, thankyou.

I like the mix of technic and system elements! Only thing I am really missing is a working drivetrain with a full-sized fake engine under the cabin.

But overall pretty well done!

wow! great creations.
I also had a project to make trucks, but your creations made me want to do it now!
Can't wait to see what happens next!

Very nice trucks... Is there any space for making an RC versions of them? And what is the total weight of each truck?

Hope to see more content like this one from you ;-) Also, are you going to make more types of trailers?

Thankyou all for your positive responses! I feel really overwhelmed, perhaps I should have shared my creations sooner... always been nervous to post?

@drdesignz Thankyou especially for putting me on the Lego Car Blog! That's awesome!

In regards to the other comments, I do have an obsessive eye for detail so save for mechanical functions I haven't really the interest in power functions! For me motors and battery boxes rob the aesthetics'! That said they are the same scale as the Mack Anthem, Concrete Mixer and New Tow truck so no reason why they couldn't be made RC? The 8x4 version of the Volvo is on rebrickable.com and a few have built it... not seen RC yet?

Regarding trailers, I have 4 at current but have plans for more, I also have a few rigids and there is my working model of a European truck transporter by FVG: 

70461e60a40439e51b7e3f2fcd4a560d.jpg

I'm also rather passionate about getting the photos right and have quite an Instagram following... again all started since Covid! My wife thinks I'm bonkers but its a great hobby.

Anyway, thanks again for you great interest and warm welcome everyone! I will certainly start some more posts on other models soon..

Mike

Edited by MCD

Oh, these are oldies! I like them! The grille is particularly effective I'm quite involved with Volvo Trucks and I really appreciate seeing these legends in the brick.

Not so long ago I made a new FH in the same scale, if your interested (link)

Edited by Sebeus I

@Sebeus I Hi, yes I've seen your FH before... its stunning! I have quite the passion for Volvo trucks as you can see from the transporter pic just above!

I will be trying some other Volvo truck variants soon...

These look really great! Espacially love the Ford F-Max!!

Will you try the new 49,5x14 tyres?

Edited by Polarlicht

Thanks for the further kind comments, I'm working on instructions to add to 6x2 version to the already existing 8x4 instructions on Rebrickable.

Regarding the 49,5x14 tyres? The jury is out at this time... I don't have an issue with the current tyres... makes the truck look nice and chunky when doubled up!

Thanks,

Mike