Sign in to follow this  
Celloguy

Mini Versions of Classic Sets...

I created these miniaturised versions of three Classic sets. Didn't know where to post this as didn't want to spam multiple forums.
- the castle hinges just as the original does, and contains a working drawbridge and portcullis, and a prison at the back
- the Galaxy explorer has hinging engines and a rover vehicle in the back,
- the Blackseas Barracuda has working cannons!

Desk buddies

Desk buddies

I really love these. I would buy multiples of this if Lego were to make a similar set.

I was hoping for something like that Space set for recent gift with purchase sets.

Oh, charming! When I read the topic title I was expecting it to be just scaled-down versions of older sets, along the lines of the 60 Years of the LEGO Brick set — which are super fun, don't get me wrong! But that made it all the more of a pleasant surprise to see that what you'd actually built were more like "chibi"/"superdeformed" versions of the sets that retain all the core features but reduced to a smaller size that takes more liberties with the proportions — sort of like the LEGO Star Wars Microfighters.

The resulting cutesy, cartoonish look is really charming! I can't help but think that if there were a LEGO video game with levels based on classic sets or themes, these sorts of simplified portrayals of the sets' layouts (with humorously oversized figures populating them) would be great "icons"/"thumbnails" for a level select screen, sort of like in Super Mario 3D World. I apologize if that seems like a strange or silly comparison to make, but it's one of the thoughts that popped into my head while looking at these MOCs!

I'm kind of curious if you thought about making one for the Town theme, which stands out to me as one of the classic "play themes" you omitted here, and what sort of set you might choose to represent that theme in this sort of MOC. Naturally, I'd also love to see your take on other classic sets in this style if you decide that's something you'd have any interest in building! Great work overall. :classic:

These are insanely cute. Placing the Black Seas Barracuda on a rowboat hull, yet still having it be fun and recognizable is perfect. Your classic castle could be a real set and it would probably sell like hotcakes.

On 11/16/2021 at 1:16 PM, Aanchir said:

I'm kind of curious if you thought about making one for the Town theme, which stands out to me as one of the classic "play themes" you omitted here

Probably because City/Town has never languished in non-existence.

Those look great, the trio of themes were done as minis in the 60th anniversary sets (both the Gift with Purchase, and the 2018 Classic sets had a Pirate Ship, Castle & Classic Spaceship), but those are just a lot better and could even be sets imo.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 11/20/2021 at 12:13 PM, danth said:

Probably because City/Town has never languished in non-existence. 

Oh, certainly. But with the other three sets chosen from the classic "play themes" of the 70s/80s, the absence of a miniaturized Town set of that era sort of stood out to me. Perhaps that's just because I've been browsing through a lot of old 1980s LEGO ads, catalogs, and magazines online lately, and Town tends to show up about as prominently as the other play themes in those.

I didn't mean it as a criticism of the sets/themes that the builder chose to re-imagine as MOCs, just was curious if it had crossed their mind.