Jim

[TC21] Technic Transforming Vehicle Contest - Information Topic (Extended to 31st)

22 minutes ago, Jim said:

Using a lubricant is also a compromise :wink:

I prefer to use LEGO as intended, so no lubricants.

Sounds good! I've already thought of a promising alternative, proving once again that constraints catalyze creativity.

So now that we've seen images of the real Transforming Vehicle coming out in 2022, it looks like the set has nothing to do with Transformers-esque vehicles - it's just a tracked vehicle with two "sides" so when it drives over a wall, it reveals the other side which is another vehicle-like design. With this in mind, would submissions similar to the set (i.e. a vehicle with two sides that when flipped over also resembles a vehicle) count, or are we still sticking to the original guidelines even though the actual set is not quite what we expected?

2 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

So now that we've seen images of the real Transforming Vehicle coming out in 2022, it looks like the set has nothing to do with Transformers-esque vehicles - it's just a tracked vehicle with two "sides" so when it drives over a wall, it reveals the other side which is another vehicle-like design. With this in mind, would submissions similar to the set (i.e. a vehicle with two sides that when flipped over also resembles a vehicle) count, or are we still sticking to the original guidelines even though the actual set is not quite what we expected?

I think the inspiration for this contest should be drawn from 8852, rather than 42140.

29 minutes ago, howitzer said:

I think the inspiration for this contest should be drawn from 8852, rather than 42140.

Yup. The 42140 is disappointing.

lego-catalogue-1HY-2022-technic-42140.jp

That's the 2022 "transforming" vehicle. Disappointing, as it just flips over showing a different cockpit.

10 minutes ago, DannyLAB said:

That's the 2022 "transforming" vehicle. Disappointing, as it just flips over showing a different cockpit.

Agreed. This is so NOT what I had in mind :sadnew:

This what I did have in mind...also for this contest...

1 hour ago, Jim said:

This what I did have in mind...also for this contest...

Very cool MOC and transformation! 

Not sure if it exactly fits the contest, too many motors and is it a vehicle? It looks like a vehicle, but the build is more like a sculpture. 

However, hopefully it inspires to create great submissions for this contest!

3 hours ago, GerritvdG said:

Very cool MOC and transformation! 

Not sure if it exactly fits the contest, too many motors and is it a vehicle? It looks like a vehicle, but the build is more like a sculpture. 

However, hopefully it inspires to create great submissions for this contest!

If I'm not mistaken, only the transformation is motorized and drive/steer is manual. You are right though that it has more motors than the contest allows.

Dear fellow competitors,

first of all, Happy New Year!

Second, how are you feeling about the deadline of this contest?

For me it will be quite tight to meet the deadline, although I will work hard over the upcoming (long) weekend to finish my entry.

37 minutes ago, BrickBuildingFox said:

Dear fellow competitors,

first of all, Happy New Year!

Second, how are you feeling about the deadline of this contest?

For me it will be quite tight to meet the deadline, although I will work hard over the upcoming (long) weekend to finish my entry.

There's no way I can finish my entry in time, so unless there's a significant extension (at least few weeks) to the deadline, I won't be participating after all.

Happy new year!

I have been busy with a lot if other stuff so I kinda neglected the contest during the holidays. I am willing to extend the deadline. Not even sure how many contestants are actively working on a model.

Any thought on the extension period? 

I will open the entry topic shortly.

15 minutes ago, Jim said:

Happy new year!

I have been busy with a lot if other stuff so I kinda neglected the contest during the holidays. I am willing to extend the deadline. Not even sure how many contestants are actively working on a model.

I will open the entry topic shortly.

Searching for "[TC21]" yields 12 results that seem to be an entry topic, so it's not an enormously popular contest, and I'm sure few of those won't submit a finished entry. Extended time might allow few more to join if someone is struck with an idea, but I'm not sure how much would be needed. At least few weeks I guess?

55 minutes ago, Jim said:

I don't need much time, one week is OK for me. I need a deadline so I can wrap up this project :laugh:

but it's no problem to wait a few weeks...

3 hours ago, howitzer said:

it's not an enormously popular contest,

Its just a rather difficult contest. I too would like a week or so, as a lot has been going on. Cause I don't want it to look like a power functions crap box deluxe.

22 minutes ago, weavil said:

Its just a rather difficult contest. I too would like a week or so, as a lot has been going on. Cause I don't want it to look like a power functions crap box deluxe.

Yes, the difficulty of it surely limits participants. It would be nice to see a few more though.

4 minutes ago, howitzer said:

It would be nice to see a few more though.

I thought there would be at least 20 trying and at least 6 "pro" builders.

On 1/5/2022 at 7:05 PM, Jim said:

Due to other things that required my attention, I didn't even start besides just some ideas brewing. I was planning to build something this weekend and see how far I would get before it's locked on monday, but a week or 2 extension might be nice. Assuming I'd even be able to get the stuff I want working :)

Hi,

I will extend the period to the 31st of January. Hopefully that will offer some breathing space.

I did unlock the entry topic so people who are ready can submit their entry.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Hi,

I will extend the period to the 31st of January. Hopefully that will offer some breathing space.

I did unlock the entry topic so people who are ready can submit their entry.

Thanks! I will see if I can get something finished in that time. Now that the holidays are over, I'm much shorter on time to concentrate on building but we will see...

Just now, howitzer said:

Thanks! I will see if I can get something finished in that time. Now that the holidays are over, I'm much shorter on time to concentrate on building but we will see...

Cool. Hope you can finish something.

I was/am aware that this is a hard competition, but I wanted to try it anyway to get it off my list :sweet:

I have been browsing the TC21 topics and I do see a lot of cool creations :thumbup:

On 1/8/2022 at 9:55 AM, Jim said:

I will extend the period to the 31st of January

Thanks, then i might have the time to finish my entry.
Work is sucking a lot of energy at the moment :pir-murder:

I will close the contest tonight.

Not a lot of entries, but I still love the ones who made it to the end. Thanks for pulling through this difficult contest :wub:

Well it seems to me that there is a fine line between transforming and functions here. I really only see two entries that transform. 

tough gig this one with such a short build time compared to difficulty. So bravo for all that entered.