Jim

[TC21] Technic Transforming Vehicle Contest - Information Topic (Extended to 31st)

[PROMO IMAGE TO BE CREATED, BUT MOST LIKELY TO BE FORGOTTEN]

TECHNIC TRANSFORMING VEHICLE CONTEST - INFORMATION TOPIC
This contest is something I have been thinking about for a while, but I always figured it to be too difficult. Recently a rumored set list for 2022 appeared and to my surprise there was an "app-controlled transforming vehicle" on the list. This immediately reminded me of the vintage 8852 - Robot, a yellow transforming truck into a robot.

8852-1.png

DESCRIPTION
Create a vehicle that transforms into something else (like another type of vehicle, robot, object). The model needs to be motorized and it needs at least one motor for the transformation. You can add two optional motors for the transformation or for auxiliary functions (like propulsion and steering or another function). The maximum number of motors is three.

The model can have some manual functions, like opening doors, hood etc, but this model is about remotely controlling the better part of it. The transformation needs to be remote-controlled.

The deadline date is Monday, the 31st of January 2022. The contest will be closed on Tuesday, the 1st of February, OR LATER.

Disclaimer: I will close the contest when I see fit, and when I have the time to process the results. This can be later than the deadline date. Please don't complain about this not being fair and all.

RULES AND REGULATIONS
The following section describes the contest-specific and general rules and regulations. But before that, please take notice of a simple motto regarding the Eurobricks Contests:

CONTESTS ARE FOR FUN!

Of course, there's competition, but at the end of the day, LEGO is just a hobby and the main goal for each of us is to have fun!

CONTEST SPECIFIC RULES AND REGULATIONS

• It has to be a vehicle.
  • You need to use at least one motor for the transformation.
  • You can use a maximum of three motors.
  • You can create multiple stages of transformation, using more than a single motor.
  • You can use two other motors to power auxiliary functions or for transformation.
  • Pneumatics are not permitted.
  • There are no part or size limitations
  • Using some system parts is permitted, but the model should be considered studless!
  • Model Team style building is not permitted. You can use system parts but keep it mainly Technic (studless in this case).
  • 3rd party Strings, Hoses and Rubber Bands are permitted.
  • Mindstorms and LEGO Electronics are permitted.
  • SBrick, Buwizz and PFxBrick are permitted.
  • 3rd party tires are not permitted.
  • Other 3rd party parts are not permitted.

GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS

• Each entry needs to have a name (no name, no entry).
  • The contest is open to all EB members (also new members).
  • Members can be banned from voting (when vote rigging is suspected).
  • Voting rules will be explained later in the voting topic.
  • One entry per member.
  • Entries need to be new (never posted anywhere previously or shown at an event/LUG meeting).
  • Only physical builds, so no LDD or other virtual entry.
  • If you have any doubts about the suitability of your entry contact me, or Milan.
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.
  • Custom stickers are allowed.
  • No cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.
  • Entries are to be placed in the entry topic in this forum.
  • Entries not in the entry topic are not eligible for voting.
  • The entry post may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  • The contest might be closed later than the deadline. Don't complain about this not being fair.
  • You have enough time to build. Don't ask for more time.
  • We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.
  • These rules can be changed whenever we see fit to ensure that people follow the intent of the contest.
  • Jury members are not eligible to participate.

WHAT DO I NEED TO ENTER?
All participants need to create a discussion topic and create a post in the entry topic.

DISCUSSION TOPIC

• A discussion topic starting with [TC21].
  • A discussion topic needs to show some actual progress (i.e. pictures of the build in progress) and should NOT be used to "reserve an idea".

ENTRY POST
The entry post in the entry topic should contain:

• Entry name
  • One or more images (max 4).  You can have combined pictures (4 in 1) as long as the picture isn't bigger than 1024x1024.
  • An embedded video showing the transformation (and possibly other functions) is mandatory this time
  • Link to your discussion topic

VOTING
The voting scheme will be announced later. More details about how voting goes down will follow.

Voting criteria are (in no particular order, except the first and most important criterium):

• Mainly motorized functions
  • Best transformation
  • Quality of the build.
  • Looks (shape, color scheme, etc).
  • Functionality.
  • Originality.

PRIZES
At this time I am not sure about the possible prizes, but I will obviously do my best. More information will follow.

We have discussed the basic rules for this contest, but I can imagine that there will be additional questions. I haven't given some edge cases much thought. Let me know if you have additional questions.

This sounds really promising.
Just one question. Can we use pneumatics powered by a motor to perform the transformation ?

3 hours ago, Jim said:

but you are allowed to pair two motors for the transformation if you need to have more power. In that case you are allowed to use four motors. When you use four motors, two of them need to be paired for the transformation

Is this means only hard coupled motor? Can I use transmission with rotary catch like 42114 hauler or 42131?

30 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

Is this means only hard coupled motor? Can I use transmission with rotary catch like 42114 hauler or 42131?

You can use additional gearing as long as both motors end up driving the same (single) function.

36 minutes ago, Touc4nx said:

This sounds really promising.
Just one question. Can we use pneumatics powered by a motor to perform the transformation ?

That is a good question. That is not what we are looking for and it would allow for an entirely different setup. I don’t think we should go down the pneumatics road (since you can power a large number of cylinders at the same time.). So that’s a no for pneumatics. I will update the rules.

(unless a lot of people think otherwise)

Next question is probably about LA’s. Those are allowed.

31 minutes ago, ludovisser said:

Does “remote controlled” imply “wireless”?

Also an interesting question. You want to separate the battery box from the model? The idea behind the contest is indeed wireless controls, like the “app controlled LEGO version”.

24 minutes ago, Jim said:

So that’s a no for pneumatics.

Okay, perfect. LA will soon become my friends in that case :laugh:

Does it have to be a vehicle? Or would something like, say, a statuette that transforms into another kind of statuette also be acceptable?

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Also an interesting question. You want to separate the battery box from the model? The idea behind the contest is indeed wireless controls, like the “app controlled LEGO version”.

I was indeed thinking of having the battery box or a PF switch outside, as I don’t have any remote devices. But I can I see how that wouldn’t be as impressive. Perhaps it’s time to get on the C+ train.  

7 hours ago, Jim said:

The model needs to be motorized and it needs at least one motor for the transformation. You can add two optional motors for auxiliary functions (like propulsion and steering or another function). The maximum number of motors is three,

3 hours ago, Jim said:

Next question is probably about LA’s. Those are allowed.

So does that mean I can have 3 motors powering 20 LA's? 

Does the entire transformation need to happen in a single motion (like every part pops out at once) or can it transform in stages (like each of the three motors does a separate step/stage)?

6 hours ago, weavil said:

So does that mean I can have 3 motors

Only 2 motors for transformation.

10 hours ago, Jim said:

You can use additional gearing as long as both motors end up driving the same (single) function.

Sorry I can't understand well. 42131 CAT use 4 motor. 2 for drive and 2 for all other function. And 42114 hauler use 3 motor. but only one motor is for only steering and other 2 change function between driving and dumping. Are you mean 42131 style(function motor is only work for function and driving motor is only for driving) or 42114 style(Max 3 motor. No matter whatever you doing at least vehicle can transform using motor) or just can't use transmission trick for multiplying motor output?

Edited by msk6003

12 hours ago, Touc4nx said:

Okay, perfect. LA will soon become my friends in that case :laugh:

Hehe :thumbup:

11 hours ago, ludovisser said:

I was indeed thinking of having the battery box or a PF switch outside, as I don’t have any remote devices. But I can I see how that wouldn’t be as impressive. Perhaps it’s time to get on the C+ train.  

Remote devices can be as simple as a PF remote. It doesn't have to be a smart device. I will make that more clear in the rules.

9 hours ago, weavil said:

So does that mean I can have 3 motors powering 20 LA's? 

Yes, that is allowed.

9 hours ago, weavil said:

Does the entire transformation need to happen in a single motion (like every part pops out at once) or can it transform in stages (like each of the three motors does a separate step/stage)?

That is a difficult question. The idea was to have a single motor do the transformation and have two additional motors for extra functions. However, that might be a bit limiting.

QUESTION! I wonder how other people think about this? We can alter the rules to use a maximum of three motors for the entire model and you can do what you want. You can use four if you pair/combine two motors for more power on a single function.

2 hours ago, msk6003 said:

Sorry I can't understand well. 42131 CAT use 4 motor. 2 for drive and 2 for all other function. And 42114 hauler use 3 motor. but only one motor is for only steering and other 2 change function between driving and dumping. Are you mean 42131 style(function motor is only work for function and driving motor is only for driving) or 42114 style(Max 3 motor. No matter whatever you doing at least vehicle can transform using motor) or just can't use transmission trick for multiplying motor output?

If you look at my previous comment (with the question) I am leaning towards simply allowing three motors and do what you want. That gives everybody the most flexibility. With the extra option to pair/combine two motors for more power.

Okay, I have decided to change the rules a bit.

RULE CHANGE

• You can use a maximum of three motors.
  • At least one needs to be used for the transformation, but you can use all three if you want.
  • Transformation can be done in multiple stages.
  • Pneumatics are not permitted.
  • If you pair/combine two motors (for more power) for one of the transformation functions, you can use a maximum of four motors.
  • When you combine two motors, you can add gears/diffs to connect the motors, as long as they drive the same function simultaneously (combining the motors is only to obtain some extra power)

Why such complicated motor rules? What's the rationale behind that?

Why not just "max 3 motors, do anything you want with them."? Simpler rules = less debate.

Need more power for your transformation? That costs you a second of your three motor budget. That way, you encourage to build smaller models.

1 minute ago, Erik Leppen said:

Why such complicated motor rules? What's the rationale behind that?

Why not just "max 3 motors, do anything you want with them."? Simpler rules = less debate.

Need more power for your transformation? That costs you a second of your three motor budget. That way, you encourage to build smaller models.

I second this, the rule of having a fourth motor for more power makes the rules needlessly complicated, I think a simple limit on number of motors (3 or 4) is enough, and as long one or more of those are used for the transformation, it should be allowed.

I at least like the rules the way they are. Yes, it's a bit complicated, but it's already been questioned and explained. Allowing an extra motor just for more power allows people to build more complex transforming mechanisms with more moving parts without sacrificing their other motors or making it overly slow. It's true that limiting the motor count more would tend to promote smaller models; whether or not that is desirable is another question, though a legitimate one.

Edited by 2GodBDGlory

25 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

That's basically what I changed, except for the fourth motor, but maybe you are right. I like simplicity.

23 minutes ago, howitzer said:

I second this, the rule of having a fourth motor for more power makes the rules needlessly complicated, I think a simple limit on number of motors (3 or 4) is enough, and as long one or more of those are used for the transformation, it should be allowed.

Okay noted. I will change the rules to the final version.

17 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I at least like the rules the way they are. Yes, it's a bit complicated, but it's already been questioned and explained. Allowing an extra motor just for more power allows people to build more complex transforming mechanisms with more moving parts without sacrificing their other motors or making it overly slow. It's true that limiting the motor count more would tend to promote smaller models; whether or not that is desirable is another question, though a legitimate one.

I like to keep the rules as simple as possible. And like Erik said; you can still use two motors for the transformation, but that will costs you one of the other motors.

19 hours ago, howitzer said:

Does it have to be a vehicle? Or would something like, say, a statuette that transforms into another kind of statuette also be acceptable?

Btw. @Jim, what about this?

2 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Btw. @Jim, what about this?

Sorry, I was convinced I answered your question. It has to be a vehicle sorry. 

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Sorry, I was convinced I answered your question. It has to be a vehicle sorry. 

No problem!

Sad though, but also understandable that there has to be limitations.

2 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Sad though, but also understandable that there has to be limitations.

The final push to go ahead with this contest is the rumored transforming vehicle by TLG, so we like to see vehicles as well.