LEGOTrainBuilderSG

LEGO Malayan Railway 20 Class - Narrow Gauge Train MOC

It has been a long time coming but here's a proper LEGO Train MOC showcase of my Malayan Railway (MR) 20 Class Narrow Gauge Locomotive.

The MR 20 Class is the first main line diesel-electric locomotive which made its debut in Malaya in 1957. A total of twenty-six locomotives were manufactured by English Electric Co at Vulcan Foundry, United Kingdom. In its roughly thirty years of service, the 20 Class hauled both the passenger express and freight between Singapore and Malaysia. The last 20 Class was decommissioned in the early 1990s.

This MR 20 Class model is controlled by a PFx Brick, powered by 1x PF L-motor, fitted with lights (2x main headlights and 4x side lights) and accurate engine sound profile based on BR Class 31 as they both shared the same engine, EE12SVT. The toughest part hands down was the decals.. more specifically the lettering on the side which stands for 'Malayan Railway' in Bahasa Melayu. My decal shop had each letter made separately which means I had to meticulously place them along the body. The nose stripes were finicky to handle but sticks on perfectly.

Here are some photos of the LEGO MR 20 Class:

MR 20 ClassMR 20 Class

If anyone was wondering what the actual MR 20 Class looks like:

XXX-26_20107.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this Train MOC showcase! Follow me on Flickr, Instagram or Youtube if you want to see more of my other narrow gauge trains. :D

Power Function L-Motor and Battery Box: https://www.lego.com/en-sg

PFx Brick: https://fxbricks.com/pfxbrick/

PFx LED Lights and XL-Speaker: https://shop.fxbricks.com/collections/all

TrixBrix Narrow Gauge Tracks: https://trixbrix.eu/en_US/c/Narrow-Gauge/26

Edited by LEGOTrainBuilderSG

Cool locomotive with dark red color scheme. It is even motorized while being narrow gauge! K10020-1a.gif

beautiful locomotive, can't imagine the dent the dark red did to the wallet but it was well worth it, id love to see how you did the side windows but i think i have a inkling on that! have you thought of fitting a small electric motor under the 'fan' to have it spin? Regardless this is a fantastic build, don't think that i didn't notice the antenna bending there either ;D

Stupdenous work! At first glance, it looks very good. Then you start looking closer at all the excellent brick techniques that capture the shapes perfectly (especially around those cab and side windows), and finally you see the lights and hear the sounds... you've built another all-around fantastic model, well done!

I am speechless. This is beyond belief. All has been said, but I am still watching the video again and again ... and each time - I cannot believe what I am seeing and hearing. This is entirely beyond (my) known universe - where no man (me) has gone before - and never will be capable doing so. 

This is >the< perfect combination of a beautiful engine, even the colors appeal to me :pir-love: (I am color-blind), the electronics inside, the smooth operation, the sound, the arrow gauge (!!!) - wow.

Thank you very much for sharing!

All the best,
Thorsten

(Just pressed "play" again ...) 

What can I add that hasn’t already been said? That’s a fantastic loco even without the added features, but the light and sound effects just give it that extra. Congratulations on a fabulous build. :classic:

As has been said many times many ways, great work! The dark red and details are all top notch. It would be neat to see some photos of the various details, e.g., the trucks.

On 11/14/2021 at 1:07 AM, ivanlan9 said:

Wow.  Just.  Wow.

On 11/14/2021 at 4:47 AM, Shiva said:

Thumbs up :)

On 11/14/2021 at 1:58 AM, The01 said:

Cool locomotive with dark red color scheme. It is even motorized while being narrow gauge! K10020-1a.gif

On 11/14/2021 at 1:55 PM, Selander said:

Great job on this one !!!

Thanks a lot guys! Truly appreciate the kind words. :D

On 11/14/2021 at 2:54 AM, Ropefish said:

beautiful locomotive, can't imagine the dent the dark red did to the wallet but it was well worth it, id love to see how you did the side windows but i think i have a inkling on that! have you thought of fitting a small electric motor under the 'fan' to have it spin? Regardless this is a fantastic build, don't think that i didn't notice the antenna bending there either ;D

Haha! Yes it did cost me quite a lot! The most expensive piece is the minifig bracket in dark red (needed to fill the gaps under the black 'vents') which cost about $8/piece.. I needed 8 pieces.. 

As for the moving fan, I initially thought of linking up the drive axle straight up into the fan so that when the train is in motion the fan was too but alas, the fan had to be placed a few studs in front of where the drive axle is. 

Thanks for the kind words mate and yes antenna pieces seem to be perfect scale for handrails. 

On 11/14/2021 at 6:59 AM, ColletArrow said:

Stupdenous work! At first glance, it looks very good. Then you start looking closer at all the excellent brick techniques that capture the shapes perfectly (especially around those cab and side windows), and finally you see the lights and hear the sounds... you've built another all-around fantastic model, well done!

It's always in the details! Hoho. Appreciate the kind words. I was initially worried that people would get bored of seeing the details during the first half of the video but glad to see you enjoyed the video showcase and the order of content! 

On 11/14/2021 at 3:21 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Incredible level of detail for this wonderful locomotive! :wub_drool:

Every time I realize this model is designed for narrow track I'm amazed! :excited:

Lights and sounds are the icing on the cake! :thumbup:

Wewww!! You are too kind. Nothing like a hefty 8-studs wide locomotive rattling down the 4-studs wide track. 

21 hours ago, Toastie said:

I am speechless. This is beyond belief. All has been said, but I am still watching the video again and again ... and each time - I cannot believe what I am seeing and hearing. This is entirely beyond (my) known universe - where no man (me) has gone before - and never will be capable doing so. 

This is >the< perfect combination of a beautiful engine, even the colors appeal to me :pir-love: (I am color-blind), the electronics inside, the smooth operation, the sound, the arrow gauge (!!!) - wow.

Thank you very much for sharing!

All the best,
Thorsten

(Just pressed "play" again ...) 

Wow mate!! Appreciate the very kind words! It's a great feeling to know that people appreciate the model as well as the video! Will definitely be making more LEGO MOC Train Showcase in the future. 

Surely you will be able to design and build a model like this. It just takes a little time to get used to all the LEGO parts on studio and what it can be used for. Soon enough, you would have a rough idea as to what parts are need to achieve a certain look. 

20 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

What can I add that hasn’t already been said? That’s a fantastic loco even without the added features, but the light and sound effects just give it that extra. Congratulations on a fabulous build. :classic:

Appreciate the kind words! I think PFx bricks paved the way for my need to have the holy trinity of lights, sounds and power in my LEGO models. Haha. I know there are a few in the community that go above and beyond by having smoke machine in their models! 

16 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

As has been said many times many ways, great work! The dark red and details are all top notch. It would be neat to see some photos of the various details, e.g., the trucks.

Ahh appreciate it mate! I will attach some photos I have to the original post though I do not have close up photos of the trucks. 

I think the locomotive is fantastically built! It also took me longer to realize that it was built for narrow gauge. Quite great cinema.

You had me with dark red anyway, one of my favorite colors in the Lego range.

Not quite my taste meet the curved components, but these are not the key points in the model and the locomotive would look great even without the "abused" parts.

Thomas

Exquisite locomotive. The colors work great on it. Your attention to detain (and ability to get the stickers on) is superb.

What a masterful rendition!
Clever use of parts for the curved shapes and great engineering work. And the video shows great skills, too!
:wub:

Perhaps you should change your YT name to "TheBrickArtist"... :wink:

One question: I experimented with sound for my steam engines several times, but was always dissatisfied as the sound module's volume was too low compared to the loud buzzing of the L-motor, especially at full speed. How did you manage to mute the motor?

17 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Fantastic build!

Beautiful color, great stickers - smooth build - immediately recognizable shape...in one word...flawless !!! :pir-love:

Ciao!

Davide

Ciao Davide! Grazie mille! You're too kind. Appreciate it. 

13 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Exquisite locomotive. The colors work great on it. Your attention to detain (and ability to get the stickers on) is superb.

Thanks a lot for the kind words. Yes, the stickers were tough to get on because of how thin it was at some parts. :grin:

14 hours ago, Ts__ said:

I think the locomotive is fantastically built! It also took me longer to realize that it was built for narrow gauge. Quite great cinema.

You had me with dark red anyway, one of my favorite colors in the Lego range.

Not quite my taste meet the curved components, but these are not the key points in the model and the locomotive would look great even without the "abused" parts.

Thomas

Thanks a lot Thomas! Appreciate it. Yes, the dark red looks fantastic in person. I am even tempted to make this 20 Class in dark green (an earlier paint coat before MR changed to dark red). 

Ahh, I get what you mean but the perfectionist in me to make the model look as realistic as possible won the LEGO purist within. Whilst the handrails could be replaced with standard LEGO bars, I feel that the antenna pieces are more thinner and in 'scale'. 

Also, for the small roof above the windscreen, I can't think of a LEGO part that is flat, thin and curved to achieve this hence the reason I chose to use and modify LEGO swords. :enough: :grin:

13 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

What a masterful rendition!
Clever use of parts for the curved shapes and great engineering work. And the video shows great skills, too!
:wub:

Perhaps you should change your YT name to "TheBrickArtist"... :wink:

One question: I experimented with sound for my steam engines several times, but was always dissatisfied as the sound module's volume was too low compared to the loud buzzing of the L-motor, especially at full speed. How did you manage to mute the motor?

Hey Sven! Thank you for the kind words. It means a lot coming from you.

TheBrickArtist does sound nice but Craftsman sounds 'cooler'? Hehe.

For the sounds, I did not mute the motor. As I made my engine sound profile using the Audacity software, I was able to increase the volume of each sound clip. On the PFx desktop app, I also increased the volume coming out of the XL-speakers. I went through a couple of rounds of trial and error to ensure that the sound was loud but not too loud that it causes the sound to 'crack'. Also, I have yet to run my locomotive at full speed because of the lack of space and tracks.

All the best with your sound optimisation! Looking forward to seeing your locomotives puff and chug along with smoke and sounds! :wink:

7 hours ago, LEGOTrainBuilderSG said:

All the best with your sound optimisation! Looking forward to seeing your locomotives puff and chug along with smoke and sounds!

Thanks! I'll have another try with sound, but probably won't instal smoke generators any more. It's a nice effect, but using smoke generators indoors also is a terrible mess...

18 hours ago, Asper said:

Wonderful model! And it's narrow gauge - great!

Ahh, thank you so much! Yes, I still find it scary and mind-boggling that these actual locomotives are so wide and massive whilst tiptoeing on narrow gauge tracks. :grin:

18 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

Thanks! I'll have another try with sound, but probably won't instal smoke generators any more. It's a nice effect, but using smoke generators indoors also is a terrible mess...

Hope it works out this time round! 

Ahh, that was one of my worries with smoke generators.. I guess I won't be doing that anytime soon. 

Edited by LEGOTrainBuilderSG

This is might be my favourite Lego build of the year in general, the attention to the detail is fenomenal and the full featuring (sounds, lights, etc) makes this think to another level.

The way you find to make the windshield without be a copy of Tony Sava's Santa Fé design is one of my favourite things, I might be copy your windshield for future projects 😅

Also, great job on the decals, that is a surgeon skilled job!