Pizzasemmel

[MOC] Aachen Cathedral

Hello all,

after finally clearing the hurdle of registering here I want to present you my first big moc, allthough it has been out there for a while now.

This is Aachen cathedral.

It is a cathedral in Aachen, germany, originally started by Charlemagne as his imperial palace. From this period come the 16 sided base of the building as well as the 8 sided dome above.
Over time, the tower, choir and numerous chapelles around its circumference were added. Especially the choir is of great architectural importance.
It was the first addition from germany to the UNSECO world hertiage. Due to its abundance of relics it is, after the Dome of the Rock (Jerusalem), Santiago de Compostela (Spain) and St. Peter's Basilica (Vatikan), the fourth most important place of pilgrimage of christianity.

Black patches mark buildings which have nothing to do with the cathedral itself, and were therefor left out by me.

Btw, some may recognize parts of it from the game "Age of Empires II" where it heavily influenced the wonder of the brits.

~3680 pieces, 44x36 studs, 39 studs tall

Enjoy :)

800x640.jpg

Spoiler

More pictures, .io file and instructions for the very brave can be found here

800x800.jpg  800x800.jpg

I like your cathedral. It is instantly recognisable as Aachen cathedral, which is quite an accomplishment in microscale. I appreciate your idea of using 1x4 bows for making pointed arches.

Well done. You captured Karl der Grosser's Dom perfectly. You've got the octagonal dome, the main entrance, and all the additions. I always enjoyed the Weihnachtsmarkt there.

I'm not familiar with the Aachen cathedral, but this MOC is interesting enough without knowing the real-life architectural gem. It's a beautiful architectural model. All those curved shapes, multiple angles, and an interesting geometry make the model stand out. 

This is so good its like official architecture set quality. Great use of a wide variety of pieces as that is one complex structure to recreate at small scale. Fantastic work!

On 11/24/2021 at 2:32 AM, koalayummies said:

This is so good its like official architecture set quality. Great use of a wide variety of pieces as that is one complex structure to recreate at small scale. Fantastic work!

It truely is a shame LEGO does not seem to see any wiggle room with their "no religious stuff" rule when it comes to architecture.

This is as much a tomb ( Charlemagne ) as the Taj Mahal...too bad it is a cathedral as well :hmpf: