Hi all,

since it's now published on Brick Model Railroader group, I can finally present also here in EuroBricks my second entry, this time in "MOW vehicle" section:

You already know it from the WIP thread :wink: - it's a small little patchwork of two Fiat 600T/850T vans and a FIAT 500 499,5cc (21HP) motor.

Here's the full story!

OcTRAINber 2021 - Fiat 500 "Draisina" - Slide1

OcTRAINber 2021 - Fiat 500 "Draisina" - Slide2

OcTRAINber 2021 - Fiat 500 "Draisina" - Slide3

OcTRAINber 2021 - Fiat 500 "Draisina" - Slide4

OcTRAINber 2021 - Fiat 500 "Draisina" - Slide5

OcTRAINber 2021 - Fiat 500 "Draisina" - Slide6

And here's some bonus content!!!

Slide7

OcTRAINber 2021 - Fiat 500 "Draisina" - Bonus Content

Slide9

Presentation for Octrainber ends here , but there are some other photos:

OcTRAINber 2021 - Fiat 500 "Draisina"

Transmission is on only one axle, as in the prototype, and it's using (again!!! :laugh:) the  twisted rubber band transmission.

The battery is a 200Mah Li-Po, connected to a small circuit in order to charge-discharge and manage the output to the motor. It can be recharged with an USB Adapter (in this case a serial to USB adapted I had at home).

And two videos, showing the rubber band transmission and a small track with the 500 in action!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138174786@N04/51670350725/in/album-72157720126403108/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138174786@N04/51673059120/in/album-72157720126403108/

I hope you like it!

Ciao!

Davide

P.S. for reference!

For more information, please refer to this site (it can be translated)

https://scalaenne.wordpress.com/2017/07/29/draisina-fiat/

and to this video, showing a restoration of the Fiat 500 Draisina  - which inspired the Giovanni and Giorgio story (Italian only, sorry, maybe it can work with subtitles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7vwRs0Akkk&t=211s

Edited by Paperinik77pk
added some links to an interesting site and YT

On 11/11/2021 at 9:18 PM, Asper said:

Amazing how small this is. Great work on the shape at his scale!

Thank you! I was quite lucky since I found the right part in the right colors!

On 11/11/2021 at 9:38 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Nice shot Davide! :wub:

I love this model and it's amazing the skillfully you squeezed all the components inside! :excited:

Thanks Emanuele! I discovered the Li-Po batteries...and these have a great potential inside small vehicles!!!😍

On 11/12/2021 at 5:48 PM, zephyr1934 said:

Wow, you packed a lot into a small space and then wrapped it all up in a tiny Fiat!

Thank you! I think the main mess was fitting cables...but those CC motors are great and helped a lot!😀

LOL!! Laughing a lot at Giovanni and Giorgio having to push their beloved FIAT, and the oil spots that it's leaving in the track as it goes along. That's comedy gold right there. :laugh_hard:

Did you know that in the UK "FIAT" is an acronym? It means "Fix it again tomorrow". :roflmao:

I also watched your video presentation on Flickr. I couldn't help but think how much like a real FIAT it was. There was lots of noise but nothing came into view for what felt like a very long time, and then your little van came wheezing slowly into view and crawled around the curve at a very sedate speed. :iamded_lol:

Great build, brilliant presentation and lots more to love besides. It's a wonderful wonderful project that you should be very proud of. You've squeezed so much character into a really tiny package. Congratulations!!

I love it!!! :wub:

Not so very long ago, you couldn't even dream of motorising such a tiny thing. The Circuit Cubes really have revolutionised Lego train modeling.

Good luck for the contest!

28 minutes ago, Hod Carrier said:

Did you know that in the UK "FIAT" is an acronym? It means "Fix it again tomorrow"

In German, too... "Fehler in allen Teilen" (flaws in all parts). :laugh:
OT:
BMW - "Bring mich Werkstatt" (grammatically wrong - kind of "underclass" slang - for "bring me to the car repair shop") or "Bin maßlos wichtig" ("I'm so very important")
Ford - "Für Opa reicht das" ("sufficient for grandpa")
:wink:

Edited by Tenderlok

18 minutes ago, Tenderlok said:

OT:
BMW - "Bring mich Werkstatt" (grammatically wrong - kind of "underclass" slang - for "bring me to the car repair shop") or "Bin maßlos wichtig" ("I'm so very important")

LOL!!! :laugh_hard:

We could drift a very long way off-topic if we're not careful, but I wanted to just reassure @Paperinik77pk that I'm not just having a pop at Italian engineering. In the UK, Ford can mean "Fix or repair daily". Even one of our most beloved sports car manufacturers doesn't get away scot-free, as Lotus can mean "Lots of trouble, usually serious". :snicker:

11 minutes ago, Hod Carrier said:

I'm not just having a pop at Italian engineering.

Of course not, and neither do I. Just a bit of amicable kidding. And if you happen to know good jokes about German idiosyncrasies - I'll love them!

11 minutes ago, Hod Carrier said:

"Lots of trouble, usually serious".

Makes me think of Graham Hill - "you know you are driving a Lotus when the rear wheel overtakes you"... :wink:

Back to topic...

Edited by Tenderlok

11 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

LOL!! Laughing a lot at Giovanni and Giorgio having to push their beloved FIAT, and the oil spots that it's leaving in the track as it goes along. That's comedy gold right there. :laugh_hard:

Did you know that in the UK "FIAT" is an acronym? It means "Fix it again tomorrow". :roflmao:

I also watched your video presentation on Flickr. I couldn't help but think how much like a real FIAT it was. There was lots of noise but nothing came into view for what felt like a very long time, and then your little van came wheezing slowly into view and crawled around the curve at a very sedate speed. :iamded_lol:

Great build, brilliant presentation and lots more to love besides. It's a wonderful wonderful project that you should be very proud of. You've squeezed so much character into a really tiny package. Congratulations!!

Thanks for your kind words!!!

Indeed the video has that effect "...is it arriving...or not?" , which was completely not planned - I turned the 500 on, and then started the video...but the straight  track before the phone was a bit too long :grin:.I made another video, but this one gave more the idea of a slow, old thing wobbling on the rails - it had  a Disneyan feeeling! 

The two guys pushing the railcar picture was the correct ending for mounting big Abarth cylinders whithout an increased air flow! It is what happened to me and my friend, putting an 80cc motor inside a "Piaggio Ciao" without any mechanical skill. The engine exploded after reaching an impressive 70 KM/h speed, with a spectacular white cloud. So we pushed it home, quite with the same mood!

11 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

I love it!!! :wub:

Not so very long ago, you couldn't even dream of motorising such a tiny thing. The Circuit Cubes really have revolutionised Lego train modeling.

Good luck for the contest!

OT:

Thanks sir!!! Now, let's try to make it bigger (1:33 or 1:22,5)!!!

I remember also "Fix It Again, Tony" - but I don't know if it is an UK or USA joke (FIAT was in South and tried North America market in the late 70s and first 80s - there's a Fiat 131 :laugh: in a "Chips" episode, a Fiat X1/9 in "Silver Streak" movie :wub: , and lots of Fiat Regata, disguised as Japanese cars *huh* in "Gung-Ho"). All these poor cars with horrible "safety bumpers" of the time!!! 

To both, do not worry about joking - I am always ready to make noise and have a good laugh!!! :wub:

Small, smaller, Fiat 500...

The drive with the rubber band is great, much less space than gears needed. Too bad that you have to edit the small Lego train wheels, so that they are good as a drive axle.

But that is then no radio connection, but only on / off via the switch?

In any case, you can no longer build models with drive much smaller, "great".

Thomas

4 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Thanks sir!!! Now, let's try to make it bigger (1:33 or 1:22,5)!!!

Oh yes, please!!!! :wub_drool:

4 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

and lots of Fiat Regata, disguised as Japanese cars

It also happened the other way round... Do you remember the utterly boring, mediocre Nissan Cherry, barely disguised and sold as Alfa Romeo Arna? *huh*

2 hours ago, Ts__ said:

Small, smaller, Fiat 500...

The drive with the rubber band is great, much less space than gears needed. Too bad that you have to edit the small Lego train wheels, so that they are good as a drive axle.

But that is then no radio connection, but only on / off via the switch?

In any case, you can no longer build models with drive much smaller, "great".

Thomas

I agree with you Thomas :thumbup:, I was not so convinced too to mod them. I made a 3d printed small wheel with axle hole - directly using the Lego .obj file -  but I was not satisfied 100%.  I had not so much time,so I modded the wheels  to see at least if it could be a working solution. And then...I've never come back to the 3d printer, since the problem was now to fit a battery inside. :pir-blush:

There's no radio control, only on-off switch and only one direction possible (and only two wheels with rubber wrap for traction). For the moment the 500 is the smallest moving vehicle (with internal battery) I've ever done :sweet:

2 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

Oh yes, please!!!! :wub_drool:

It also happened the other way round... Do you remember the utterly boring, mediocre Nissan Cherry, barely disguised and sold as Alfa Romeo Arna? *huh*

"...e sei subito Alfista!!!" ("and you become instantly an Alfa fan")...one of the greatest flops ever.  Like the Duna (which at least had the wagon version).

For the 500, I'd say 1:32 / 1:33 scale  :laugh: - in order to represent the 1435mm gauge version - the 1000mm gauge were not so nice and mono-directional. :hmpf_bad:

Ciao!

Davide

1 hour ago, Paperinik77pk said:

the 1000mm gauge were not so nice and mono-directional.

That might also be interesting if it has some kind of lifting/turning gear like the German Klv 12.
If not, I agree that the standard gauge version is the better choice.

37 minutes ago, Tenderlok said:

That might also be interesting if it has some kind of lifting/turning gear like the German Klv 12.
If not, I agree that the standard gauge version is the better choice.

Mhhhhhhhh, it does not seem to have a built-in turning device :laugh_hard:

As you can see the wheels are inside the body, and the original door is still there. This is not made by FIAT, and sincerely I do not know the engine size. I personally like it less than the Draisina.

draisine-fcl.jpg

And since you love three-wheelers , here's an interesting thing (no more a three wheeler...but somehow fascinating!)

apepiaggio-1990darfo.jpg

This is the source:

it does not seem to have a built-in turning device

Ok, then it's the Draisina in 1:32/33... :wink:
The steamer in the background also seems interesting. Do you know which class it is?

here's an interesting thing (no more a three wheeler...but somehow fascinating!)

Wow. Looks a bit like a weekend project by a not-so-talented do-it-yourselfer... but very charming!

6 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

ooking at the photo it seems a 4xx series, probably the 409 

Thank you!
I hadn't realised that it's not an FS locomotive, therefore I searched it on archiviofondazionefs.it and wondered why I couldn't find an engine that looked like the one in the photo...
An interesting, beefy-looking machine! And Caprotti valve gear! Mmmmh... :wub:

16 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

And since you love three-wheelers , here's an interesting thing (no more a three wheeler...but somehow fascinating!)

apepiaggio-1990darfo.jpg

This is the source:

Nah. Waaaaaay too big. Try this instead.

40919264150_c1a86a4d3e.jpg

Rail Taxi by Down to nowhere, on Flickr

I did say we liked to do "weird" here in the UK.

31 minutes ago, Hod Carrier said:

Nah. Waaaaaay too big. Try this instead.

40919264150_c1a86a4d3e.jpg

Rail Taxi by Down to nowhere, on Flickr

I did say we liked to do "weird" here in the UK.

A BMW Isetta! You hit a soft spot of mine, the Bubble Cars!!!:wub:

This is difficult as hell to recreate!!! 2ft Gauge, it seems.

I hope none ever transformed a Peel P50 in a rail vehicle - I could really have some problems in fitting everything inside!*huh*

17 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

How about a fancy sports convertible (with turning device!!!)?

480px-Feldbahnmuseum_Herrenleite_84.JPG

IMGP9290.jpg

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/DR-Gleiskraftrad_GKR_Typ_1

Germans can do weird, too... :wink:

...*huh*...... It seems an old pedal toy car on rails!!!  :wub: And the front part...is really like the Peel P50 (but bigger)!

800px-Peel_P50_at_Manx_Transport_Museum,

A real gem!

Edited by Paperinik77pk