Sign in to follow this  
Mesabi

[GOC-COR-FB] Market Street, New Haven

Type: Small Residence (Per the Court's allowance!) 

GOC Task 13a

It was a fine day in New Haven....

51668438006_98134342ce_z.jpg

But first, some history...

The Eslando - Mardierian War of 616 was devastating to the Mardian population of Isla de Medio. As the war came to a bitter close, Corrington landed troops as a refugee effort on the island....

51668700743_b029ab07da_z.jpg

Then Came Count Mesabi, who managed to make the situation worse, and looted the remains of Malto for all it was worth....

51668465156_7a133fe8aa_z.jpg

The Grey Family endured these hardships, and rejected the Corrish resettlement effort in New Haven. Instead, they moved to Fatu Hiva....

51668709618_37909923bd_z.jpg

....The primary target of Count Mesabi in the Second Terraversan War. In the pillaging of the settlement, the Grey's family livelihood once again was lost.... 

AND THUS, with few other options, they accepted the Corrish resettlement stipend, and moved to New Haven

PRESENT DAY:

51668438156_c87730607a_z.jpg

Market Street bustled with activity in New Haven, as local merchants hawked their wares. 

51668437931_0eee9c2f63_z.jpg

The Local Waywart stood on this street, of course, selling 2nd tier WTC products for low prices. 

51668676758_30059faf46_z.jpg

The Grey family was presently sitting down to dinner. Owen Grey muttered angrily as he finished sealing his envelope of various Corrish application forms. 

51669318140_0b05408959_z.jpg

Soon, the Grey family would make their comeback....

FIN

Thanks for viewing my build! 

I had fun with this one, though I admit I am totally reusing basic techniques from my other builds here. I think it still looks good though. 

Spoiler

Bit of a nostalgia trip / heavy cringe looking at my builds, photos and stories from 2017. Additionally, looking back I caused so many issues to the game which still kinda horrifies me. :pir-sceptic: Also, it took me quite a while to get my builds to start looking nice. Thanks for not booting me y'all, I certainly would have deserved it. It kinda was what inspired the story here.

Also, I would be metagaming the system a bit here, if I can license this as a residence. I need a residence or artisan for the GoC task, and this is clearly a commercial, so if I can get a thumbs up on making this a residence (People live here, technically!) I would appreciate it. 

For the GOC approval: @Ayrlego, @Captain Dee, @Bregir, @SilentWolf, @LM71Blackbird, @evancelt

C&C appreciated, as always. 

Edited by Mesabi

Nice work Mesabi, it's a good little scene which conveys the bustling sense of energy with minifigs going about their business that is becoming your signature. The building facades show nice variation and tie nicely back to the styles of the first builds for the settlement by the Eslandolan builders. My only tip with them would be to put a temporary back on them for photography (some up-turned plates or something) so that you can not see straight through the windows to the background behind. I find this helps give a sense of depth and was a useful tip that someone pointed out to me with some of my earlier BoBS builds. Another suggestion, although again this is my personal sense of taste, would be to make the pavement a bit more varied. The facades show some decent ware and tear, but the pavement and roadway seem brand new and shiny.

Story wise I liked the way you tied the history together and having them originally move to Fatu Hiva was an interesting touch. I also like how you changed the contrast of the past pictures - that was an excellent touch! I would have liked more of a focus on the family's residence - it feels a bit like a Waymart with a house tacked on the side. Perhaps if the house was a bit larger you could have presented it as a separate but joining build that sat next to the Waymart? Then you could have licensed them both? Just a thought.

Anyway overall, very nice work expanding New Haven lore :thumbup: from me for GoC

Nice work @Mesabi! Like you mentioned, this build is looking much more polished than some earlier efforts! I like the SNOT techniques on the two rightmost buildings. The roof textures are also fun to look at, and the mix of facade colors are interesting.

Like Ayrlego said, just building a flat/straight back wall on the buildings can keep it dark inside, which gives it the illusion of more depth. Also agree on his point re: the flawless roadway - they must have some good road crews! :pir-grin:

I really like the photo-framing of the middle picture with the bluecoats rushing in - good atmosphere.

I've noticed in your builds that you often use bricks for the upright walls as opposed to bricks mixed with plates. I'd love to see future builds experiment a little with using plates in walls, as it can add some additional texture by reducing the size of the wall elements. Nothing wrong with using just bricks, but it's evident that you're builds are getting better and better and I think that's a place where you could play around with a fun technique.

I like how you tracked the family's history along with the Count's story - it's fun to tie multiple builds together like that, especially because these types of builds with hyperlinks to others can help new BoBS players get up-to-speed more quickly with past events (I know they helped me for sure!)

:thumbup: for GoC from me!

Edited by evancelt

Good story and I like the buildings too. I like how you tell your story with buildings and minifigures.

Haha in my earlier post I forgot to mention: You mixed yellow heads with fleshies! The ultimate faux pas! :pir-huzzah2:

On 11/10/2021 at 3:05 AM, Mesabi said:

Additionally, looking back I caused so many issues to the game which still kinda horrifies me. :pir-sceptic: Also, it took me quite a while to get my builds to start looking nice. Thanks for not booting me y'all, I certainly would have deserved it. It kinda was what inspired the story here.

I quite like the build, and the story is excellent, but I feel like this deserves a comment. First, let me say that I like the build. It isn't *just* simple techniques with something like the snotted chimney and roof overhang, and in any case, not everything needs to be super complex if you can achieve the desired effect. I will still support the earlier suggestions, of course. I too agree that the way you've used the old pictures with a little bit of editing is very well done.

Now, back to the comment above. I agree that it took a while to get you working on quality and those barely connected bricks still haunt me :pir-grin:, but after you took it up, I think you've really moved forward. There are always ways to improve, and we should all strive to do so, of course, but you are on a good track. There was also a mint of OOC... disagreements? :pir-tongue: but these are behind us now, and I do not bear a grudge, as long as we learn and move on. Looking back, while you could have done some things somewhat more elegantly (and slightly less provoking... :pir-wink:) I do remember much of the count's appearances as amusing and giving a nice flair. I think we are now at a good level, where the count is an interesting atypical character, without sabotaging and disturbing with his anarchist, chaotic ways, and I am happy we are on good terms and can be perfectly constructive. So happy to see you reflect, but don't sweat it. :thumbup:

On 11/9/2021 at 11:36 PM, Ayrlego said:

Nice work Mesabi, it's a good little scene which conveys the bustling sense of energy with minifigs going about their business that is becoming your signature. The building facades show nice variation and tie nicely back to the styles of the first builds for the settlement by the Eslandolan builders. 

Story wise I liked the way you tied the history together and having them originally move to Fatu Hiva was an interesting touch. I also like how you changed the contrast of the past pictures - that was an excellent touch! I would have liked more of a focus on the family's residence - it feels a bit like a Waymart with a house tacked on the side. Perhaps if the house was a bit larger you could have presented it as a separate but joining build that sat next to the Waymart? Then you could have licensed them both? Just a thought.

Thanks Ayrlego, I appreciate it. I'm glad the writing came across well, I was a bit worried it was too brief. I thought that touching on Fatu Hiva was a good nod to my exploits, as well. 

The look I was going for with having their apartment over the top, was like a "classic immigrant overbusiness apartment." I think it turned out a bit blander than I hoped. And yeah, I could have done it in two builds,  but I'd rather fit a good vision then split up ideas or overlicense. 

On 11/9/2021 at 11:36 PM, Ayrlego said:

. My only tip with them would be to put a temporary back on them for photography (some up-turned plates or something) so that you can not see straight through the windows to the background behind. I find this helps give a sense of depth and was a useful tip that someone pointed out to me with some of my earlier BoBS builds. Another suggestion, although again this is my personal sense of taste, would be to make the pavement a bit more varied. The facades show some decent ware and tear, but the pavement and roadway seem brand new and shiny.

Excellent suggestion about the backdrop, and I will do that going forwards. I probably have been told that before, but good to have it in my head now.

And good point about the roads being to clean, I think I'll try to do something a bit different with the next one's road. 

On 11/10/2021 at 8:59 AM, evancelt said:

Nice work @Mesabi! Like you mentioned, this build is looking much more polished than some earlier efforts! I like the SNOT techniques on the two rightmost buildings. The roof textures are also fun to look at, and the mix of facade colors are interesting.

I really like the photo-framing of the middle picture with the bluecoats rushing in - good atmosphere.

I like how you tracked the family's history along with the Count's story - it's fun to tie multiple builds together like that, especially because these types of builds with hyperlinks to others can help new BoBS players get up-to-speed more quickly with past events (I know they helped me for sure!)

Thanks Evan! I tried to make each building look different, and I'm glad it turned out well. I like tying in all the links, I do enjoy hunting down the individual posts, and I'm glad that it helps get you youngins caught up. :pir-wink:

On 11/10/2021 at 8:59 AM, evancelt said:

I've noticed in your builds that you often use bricks for the upright walls as opposed to bricks mixed with plates. I'd love to see future builds experiment a little with using plates in walls, as it can add some additional texture by reducing the size of the wall elements. Nothing wrong with using just bricks, but it's evident that you're builds are getting better and better and I think that's a place where you could play around with a fun technique.

Excellent idea, but unfortunately, I don't have the bricks at the moment to really execute that. I seriously reduced the bricks I had on hand when I got back into BoBS (the rest are in a closet at my parents), and I mostly just have things that I deemed essential. I'll try a bit with my next build, but It's definitely a constraint for me currently.

Thanks for the ideas and feedback!

On 11/10/2021 at 12:01 PM, Professor Thaum said:

.Wow, very nice street mate ! You have real knack for the houses and the town spirit.

Well done !

Thank you Thuam! Also, thanks for the nudge a few months back to do some building. :pir-blush:

On 11/10/2021 at 12:50 PM, Brickwolf said:

Very nice street scene!

:thumbup: for GoC 

Thank you Brickwolf!

On 11/10/2021 at 4:57 PM, Justsomebrix said:

Cool scene ! The story was great and I love how lively your builds are 

Thank you!

On 11/10/2021 at 8:02 PM, NOD said:

Good story and I like the buildings too. I like how you tell your story with buildings and minifigures.

Thanks! Fig posing is definitely an important aspect. 

On 11/11/2021 at 10:45 AM, evancelt said:

Haha in my earlier post I forgot to mention: You mixed yellow heads with fleshies! The ultimate faux pas! :pir-huzzah2:

It's a hill I think I'll die on. :pir-grin: I like the expressions of both enough, that they end up together. 

12 hours ago, Bregir said:

I quite like the build, and the story is excellent, but I feel like this deserves a comment. First, let me say that I like the build. It isn't *just* simple techniques with something like the snotted chimney and roof overhang, and in any case, not everything needs to be super complex if you can achieve the desired effect. I will still support the earlier suggestions, of course. I too agree that the way you've used the old pictures with a little bit of editing is very well done.

Thanks Bregir! I'm glad the simpler techniques I used didn't subtract from the build at large. Part of the thinking was placing those off to the side, to help focus the scene on the Waymart. I'm glad the sepia photographs work well here. I was afraid they'd take attention from the build at whole, but they seem to be appreciated. 

13 hours ago, Bregir said:

Now, back to the comment above. I agree that it took a while to get you working on quality and those barely connected bricks still haunt me :pir-grin:, but after you took it up, I think you've really moved forward. There are always ways to improve, and we should all strive to do so, of course, but you are on a good track. There was also a mint of OOC... disagreements? :pir-tongue: but these are behind us now, and I do not bear a grudge, as long as we learn and move on. Looking back, while you could have done some things somewhat more elegantly (and slightly less provoking... :pir-wink:) I do remember much of the count's appearances as amusing and giving a nice flair. I think we are now at a good level, where the count is an interesting atypical character, without sabotaging and disturbing with his anarchist, chaotic ways, and I am happy we are on good terms and can be perfectly constructive. So happy to see you reflect, but don't sweat it. :thumbup:

I'm glad the Count fits in well still, even though I think I outrank quite a few of the Sea Rats when it comes to Anarchy.  Yeah, it's weird to reflect on everything. It's been an interesting 5 years of playing for sure, even when factoring in my various sabbaticals from BoBS. I just think it's quite interesting to see my early stuff in comparison to my builds now. 

Thanks Everyone for the feedback! and thank you GOC reviewers for approving my entry. :pir-classic: