q_biq

[MOC] …bad timing? Yet another big AT-AT…

A very big THANK YOU @dvogon for your nice feedback! :-)

I'm glad that you like it - now I just have to see if I'll try to adapt at least the shoulder/hip joints to something other, maybe similar to the LEGO version. Not to change the design, but to get that bit of stability which would make it easier to handle. But I fear the gear/turntable LEGO used is too big for my model.

Oh well, you can't have everything :-)

Great looking MOC!

We can never have enough big AT-ATs!  The proportions and details are all spot on, from the sides of the legs, the underside drive section, the armor, etc...  One aspect that you beat the 75313 on would be the hip joints on your version not protruding out beyond the armor plating.  Clearly LEGO had to make the legs very strong, but in the process they sacrificed some of the aesthetic - understandably.  If I had to nitpick something, it looks to me like the top of the head is a bit flat.  I also really like the leg detail on your version better than the big one.

One more thing I noticed while watching speed builds of the 75313 - in the bottom of each foot, it looks like LEGO is using a rubber tire that contacts the surface to prevent slippage on a smooth display area.  Perhaps you can use the same technique if you can't mod the legs to your satisfaction.  Either way, thanks for sharing!

Thanks a lot @lowlead! :classic::classic::classic:

On 11/17/2021 at 2:30 AM, lowlead said:

One aspect that you beat the 75313 on would be the hip joints on your version not protruding out beyond the armor plating.  Clearly LEGO had to make the legs very strong, but in the process they sacrificed some of the aesthetic - understandably.

It's nice to see that you noticed this :-) That was one long process to get the legs to fit under there. But it was so clear when seeing reference material of the AT-AT viewed from the front that the legs had to be narrower / closer together than they are in many of the official models. So to attach them where they are now and still keep enough space to do the underside detail was quite a challenge.

And good idea about the rubber tire! - I thought the same thing when I saw one of those build videos :-) I fear the friction would still not be enough though. The simple fact is that the ratched joints are not really strong enough for a build of this size, even if you take two for each leg (as it is the case for the shoulders/hips). For this to work the build would have to be considerably less heavy - and then I'd have to let go a lot of the interior detail. And that would be sad for us AND for the Stormtroopers.

Thanks @LukeSkybuilder! :-)

As for the size: If I take the "official" measures, which mostly seem to be in the range of 25-26 meters in length and about 22 meters in height, then my version would be at an average of 1:47.

So the Lego version is much closer to minifig scale with its average of 1:37. You can see that mine's slightly too small in that the three doors/hatches on each side of the hull are a bit too small to get a minifig through easily. But I'd say it looks sufficiently big to pass as "in scale" ;-)

Thanks again - I'll think about that photo suggestion :-)