Sign in to follow this  
LDigital

Looking for multi-tier display/case for 1:8 cars

Due to ever decreasing space in my Lego display area I am looking to stack these models in a multi tier case of some kind but can’t find one. Can anyone help?

I'm in the same position as you and I think the best way is to built it by yourself. I am planning to do something like this. Maybe add a led light strip on the back sides as well. Basically it's a case for each model and then stacking them up

szl85nop1hz51.jpg

Or like this

Holy F mounting such a huge car to the wall using a single technic connector is a terrible idea imo. At least do the same setup twice, one in the front and one in the back. That way the car doesn't break off immediately if someone were to touch it.

16 hours ago, BennyF said:

I'm in the same position as you and I think the best way is to built it by yourself. I am planning to do something like this. Maybe add a led light strip on the back sides as well. Basically it's a case for each model and then stacking them up

szl85nop1hz51.jpg

That is exactly what I am looking for, something tiered or stackable. 

that is custom made is it? 
thanks for the suggestions everyone 

Edited by LDigital

12 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Holy F mounting such a huge car to the wall using a single technic connector is a terrible idea imo. At least do the same setup twice, one in the front and one in the back. That way the car doesn't break off immediately if someone were to touch it.

I have the UCS millennium falcon mounted to the wall, though not with a connector. Using an axle that goes through multiple holes, and made a "picture hook" type thing from a 5x7 frame and a couple of 1x5 beams to space it from the wall. Sounds sketchey but it's been there almost three years now, the frame allows for multiple screw holes and I wanted a way to hook it on the wall without any help.

@allanp That sounds better for sure. In your case the model is hanging on the wall with the hook at the top. In the video the connector was mounted in a fixed position in the middle of the model, so half of the models weight is above the connector. Looks very sketchy imo.

2 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

@allanp That sounds better for sure. In your case the model is hanging on the wall with the hook at the top. In the video the connector was mounted in a fixed position in the middle of the model, so half of the models weight is above the connector. Looks very sketchy imo.

Agreed.  THough if you watch the video it is the metal screw taking the weight. It is what is on the horizontal plane and therefore taking on all gravity.  The weird thing is the connector is a piece with no axle hole.  It is a pinhole.  But if the screw teeth are biting into the ABS then it should actually be pretty secure.   So perhaps it is stronger than we anticipate.  

Also, if you watch the whole video he talks about adding another anchor/mount for like the Bugatti, which is heavier....

Here is a site for what looks like 3d printed wall mounts for various sets....

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tekP2ieJXtQRf5lDXpHhat0uQnTBxNdV0JI56e-hETc/edit

21 hours ago, BennyF said:

szl85nop1hz51.jpg

Or like this

I also question how sturdy this is.  I can confirm that these display cases can be stacked.  I have three of them stacked in my Lego room.  But when you add case on top of case, with several kg of ABS in each, that can get heavy for the case underneath.  Also, not all manufacturers sell acrylic cases with the same width.  You would want to make sure you are getting something with the greatest width if you are going to stack.  

Personally, I went on with a glass display: more flexible than boxes (you can adjust the horitonzal trays and you just need to open one door to access any of your model.

640x1138.jpg

Mine is from Cryglas, an italian shop than can ship in western Europe globally. Just make sure you order according to your needs, because I had to add 2 trays and it was a pain to have them understand what I wanted, lol.