XG BC

OCTRAINTOBER 2021 Breuer "rangiertraktor" and quite possibly worlds smallest lego 9v track powered vehicle

Hello guys,

this is a kinda last minute octraintober submission: a beurer "rangiertraktor" first off all, a little bit of backstory to the prototype:

220px-Breuer_Lokomotor.jpg

these where small shunting vehicles built by the Maschinen- und Armaturenfabrik vorm. H. Breuer & Co and where later licenced to be produced by many companys. they where used to carry around single or small groups of wagons with weights of up to 80-500 tons. the first iteration the type I had a completely open construction and a whopping 10 HP (no this is not a typo) here is a sketching of one:

220px-BreuerLokomotor_Typ_I.jpg

the type II had 28 HP. sadly i havent found a sketching or picture of this one

the type III had a real cockpit for the operator to stand on and operate the machine. it looked like this and had 40HP:

220px-Lokomotor_III.jpg

the type IV and V looked basically identical except that the type V had 80 HP

220px-Breuer_Lokomotor.jpg

without further ado here are the pics:

rangiertraktor

there isnt much of a wip story here as the construction of the model only took me like 20 minutes. the renders took the same time as building the model

the second one shows how the wagons attached to the thing. they where raised by this pin that sticks up and the weight of the wagons rested on the tractor thus giving it huge ammounts of traction to pull up to 500 tons

rangiertraktor demonstration

edot: changed the position of the windows. made two renders the one where it shows how the wagons attach where made quick and dirty with pov-ray.

rangiertraktor final

here is the second render:

rangiertraktor v2 demonstration

hope you like this last minute submission!

here is the link to the studio file for anyone to build and have fun with!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7scoqnohh0qszog/rangiertraktor v2.io?dl=0#

edit:

now i have an update for you guys. what is better than a small lego train model? a motorized lego train model! this uses a modified cheap "tower pro sg90" servo as its motor. the servo has been modified in such a way that it basically works like a normal brushed dc motor. i have removed the servo control board and the stops preventing the servo from rotating more than 180 degree. there are several tutorials available online on how to do this.  the second modification the servo got was removing the mounting points of it at the top to make it smaller. the servo fits into the model like this:

IMG_20220702_205154[1]

the drivetrain consists of a small white lego rubber band which drives one of the trainwheels directly (no need for gearing down as the servo has internal gearing already which is sufficient). the second pulley is one of the servos attachments just with the arms cutoff and made flush with the rest of the center hub).

detail 1

here is the whole thing complete with the drivers cab:

Motorized Breuer Rangiertraktor

i changed some of the details due to my parts library and space constraints with the taller base but overall it is the same model just different colors (it is a very old unit so a bit of rust is also present :wink:). the drivers cab just fits loosley onto the model as the servo doesnt really fit into the lego geometry height wise and i didnt want to make the model any taller so thats how it is. it fits quite snugly though so no problem there.

and finally there is a video so you guys can see it running:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145736297@N05/52187870612/in/dateposted-public/

hope you like this upgrade and as always the models files can be found in the link in my signature for anyone wishing to recreate this little model.

Edited by XG BC
motorized version added

I love it!!!  :pir-love:

It's unbelievable how we're again on the same "line" *huh* - this little thing was one of my first entries here in the forum (I made the Italian Badoni version FS.207 in green). The "sole fish" (we call it this way in Italy) is my favourite rail vehicle!

Great work , sir!

Davide 

Oh man, this critter contest is turning over all sorts of crazy creatures I never knew existed. You've found a perfect prototype for such a small lego build and then drove it in for the goal

4 hours ago, HoMa said:

Another great little Critter! 

thanks for the compliment from the master of lego trains!

4 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

I love it!!!  :pir-love:

It's unbelievable how we're again on the same "line" *huh* - this little thing was one of my first entries here in the forum (I made the Italian Badoni version FS.207 in green). The "sole fish" (we call it this way in Italy) is my favourite rail vehicle!

Great work , sir!

Davide 

thank you! yea our paths cross pretty often probably because we like building the same things.

3 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Oh man, this critter contest is turning over all sorts of crazy creatures I never knew existed. You've found a perfect prototype for such a small lego build and then drove it in for the goal

thank you!

3 hours ago, XG BC said:

thank you! yea our paths cross pretty often probably because we like building the same things.

I'm really glad that you also like these little machines - wonderful examples of simple yet genial ideas.:wub:

In my opinion your version of this Critter combines simplicity with main details in the right place - and this is great!:thumbup:

Ciaaaaaao!

Davide

What there is not....   curious vehicle!

But I wonder if 8w might not make more sense:
- increase the distance between the windows
- windows to the same height
- show the steps with panels
- left/right of the wheels indicate the wide beams with slopes.

To me the prototype looks quite wide, but I haven't looked at a drawing to see if that's true.

Is only my first impression and opinion, I do not want to badmouth the design.

Thomas

3 hours ago, Ts__ said:

What there is not....   curious vehicle!

But I wonder if 8w might not make more sense:
- increase the distance between the windows
- windows to the same height
- show the steps with panels
- left/right of the wheels indicate the wide beams with slopes.

To me the prototype looks quite wide, but I haven't looked at a drawing to see if that's true.

Is only my first impression and opinion, I do not want to badmouth the design.

Thomas

dont worry! i always apreciate constructive critisism! you are right on the windows! i just noticed that thanks will correct it. as for going 8 wide i really dont want to as i am a 6 to 7 wide builder 8 wide just doesnt fit my building style very well. in terms of sloping it idk if it makes sense from am angles perspective to be honest i will try it out tomorrow though if i find the time.

thanks for the advice!

Ok, if your other models are 6-7 studs wide, then 8 studs makes no sense here^^

Sorry, I had not in mind and went from my scale.

Thomas

9 minutes ago, Ts__ said:

Ok, if your other models are 6-7 studs wide, then 8 studs makes no sense here^^

Sorry, I had not in mind and went from my scale.

Thomas

its ok dont worry! i think i also cant use panels for the steps as they would be too big. maybe i will post my scale in my profile description as to not confuse people. i may try 8 wide just for this submission though but i am not good at building in 8 wide i have tried it just doesnt work right.

Edited by XG BC

Wonderful history of these tiny "Critters". The method of weighing down the rangiertraktor is ingenious. You captured it well at 6-wide.

i now changed the position of the windows to be all in one height like the prototype and added the link to a dropbox share where the stud.io file is located!

Edited by XG BC

now i have an update for you guys. what is better than a small lego train model? a motorized lego train model! this uses a modified cheap "tower pro sg90" servo as its motor. the servo has been modified in such a way that it basically works like a normal brushed dc motor. i have removed the servo control board and the stops preventing the servo from rotating more than 180 degree. there are several tutorials available online on how to do this.  the second modification the servo got was removing the mounting points of it at the top to make it smaller. the servo fits into the model like this:

IMG_20220702_205154[1]

the drivetrain consists of a small white lego rubber band which drives one of the trainwheels directly (no need for gearing down as the servo has internal gearing already which is sufficient). the second pulley is one of the servos attachments just with the arms cutoff and made flush with the rest of the center hub).

detail 1

here is the whole thing complete with the drivers cab:

Motorized Breuer Rangiertraktor

i changed some of the details due to my parts library and space constraints with the taller base but overall it is the same model just different colors (it is a very old unit so a bit of rust is also present :wink:). the drivers cab just fits loosley onto the model as the servo doesnt really fit into the lego geometry height wise and i didnt want to make the model any taller so thats how it is. it fits quite snugly though so no problem there.

and finally there is a video so you guys can see it running:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145736297@N05/52187870612/in/dateposted-public/

hope you like this upgrade and as always the models files can be found in the link in my signature for anyone wishing to recreate this little model.

Edited by XG BC

That's a truly remarkable effort! :thumbup:

Now you only need to squeeze in a battery as well... :wink:

4 minutes ago, Sven J said:

That's a truly remarkable effort! :thumbup:

Now you only need to squeeze in a battery as well

thank you! there is a little bit of space in the cab but it wont be easy.

Edited by XG BC

now i tested it with switch tracks and i found out what i already thought: the thing doesnt clear the wheelguides of the switch! well after some thinking the fix wasnt too hard. i changed the frame that holds the bottom together to be ontop of the motor instead of on the bottom like it was.

rangiertraktor motor v2 bottom

this change also included the addition of a methode of coupling a wagon to the breuer with the round black 1x1 plates holding a 1x3 plate that attaches to the single stud ontop of a magnetic coupler. the cab required some changes aswell to fit the new base but these where more subtle.

Inkedrangiertraktor motor v2 improved top

i reduced the distance between the side parts and the cab to 1 plate to fit the cab being one plate lower now (it is actually held on now instead of laying on the base by gravity!) and i removed the black pieces in the middle because that is a part of the base now. the models files can be found in the link in my signature under the filename "rangiertraktor motor v2".

after some fiddeling around i managed to give it more traction so it can now pull stuff and transition through switches more easily. it is now using two rubber bands one driving the rear and one linking the rear to the front wheel. have a look

Breuer v3

it uses a small train wheel screwed onto the servo as a sprocket for the two rubber bands to prevent them from jumping off.

Breuer v3

here is the whole thing covered up. as you can see the belt going to the front wheel comes directly into contact with the track thus giving it even more traction. this is how it looks on rails:

Breuer v3

here is another view:

Breuer v3