Anonknee Muss

LEGO Monkie Kid 2022

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Killian said:

Oh cool. The Leeds store stopped stocking them a while back, so I've been buying them through Lego's website

Me too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2022 at 7:20 PM, Killian said:

Just started watching a show on the British Netflix that's based on Journey To The West. It's called A Korean Odyssey (it's set in Korea), and it's hilarious! It has The Monkey King and Demon Bull King as roommates, Pigsy as a K-Pop star who can turn into a Boar, and Tang as a female Real Estate Agent who can see Demons (and who most Demons want to eat just like in Journey To The West).  The Monkey King ends up being manipulated into protecting her even though he wants to eat her, and hijinks ensue  :laugh_hard:

Lady Bone Demon's character is in it as a zombie, they keep putting her in a fridge so she doesn't rot and stink :laugh_hard:  And Sandy runs a mobile phone company. It's bonkers lol.

 

 

I'm going to buy 2 City of Lanterns sets to combine. Has anyone got any experience doing that? Or got pictures showing the best way to do it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Killian said:

Lady Bone Demon's character is in it as a zombie, they keep putting her in a fridge so she doesn't rot and stink :laugh_hard:  And Sandy runs a mobile phone company. It's bonkers lol.

 

 

I'm going to buy 2 City of Lanterns sets to combine. Has anyone got any experience doing that? Or got pictures showing the best way to do it?

 

I just recently ordered a second copy myself to do that. Expanding the base itself is fairly easy since you can simply duplicate the center section, and use the two extra track segments from the rear canopies to connect them together. What you do with the extra space that generates is up to you. Here's some of my ideas for how to expand the various shops:

I'm planning to expand the three top-floor buildings (adding width to all three and adding an extra floor to the hotel), but still haven't decided on quite what to do with the three extra lower-floor modules of space. Some of my ideas include adapting the Anti-Gravity Arcade from the Lion Guardian set to fit, adapting the upcoming Creator Noodle Shop, trying to MOC a store from the TV show like the shoe store from the first episode, or simply making an entirely new facility like a bank or newsstand. I'm hoping that having the bricks in hand to experiment more with physically will help spark inspiration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I just recently ordered a second copy myself to do that. Expanding the base itself is fairly easy since you can simply duplicate the center section, and use the two extra track segments from the rear canopies to connect them together. What you do with the extra space that generates is up to you. Here's some of my ideas for how to expand the various shops:

I'm planning to expand the three top-floor buildings (adding width to all three and adding an extra floor to the hotel), but still haven't decided on quite what to do with the three extra lower-floor modules of space. Some of my ideas include adapting the Anti-Gravity Arcade from the Lion Guardian set to fit, adapting the upcoming Creator Noodle Shop, trying to MOC a store from the TV show like the shoe store from the first episode, or simply making an entirely new facility like a bank or newsstand. I'm hoping that having the bricks in hand to experiment more with physically will help spark inspiration.

Looks good! I was gonna mention, I do belive the creator noodle house is already compatible as it has the duel technic pins at the base, as does all the MK sets that have the buildings. As for a doubled up city of lanterns, the designer himself posted pictures of it on his Twitter, even going over how it can be combined without any extra parts as there is enough roller coaster track included, all you would have to do is move the buildings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, a guy from somewhere said:

Looks good! I was gonna mention, I do belive the creator noodle house is already compatible as it has the duel technic pins at the base, as does all the MK sets that have the buildings. As for a doubled up city of lanterns, the designer himself posted pictures of it on his Twitter, even going over how it can be combined without any extra parts as there is enough roller coaster track included, all you would have to do is move the buildings. 

It's ALMOST compatible. It can fit next to the other buildings just fine. But there's some small sort of quality-of-life tweaks I'd like to make if I wanted to fit it into my city. The second floor and roof aren't quite the perfect height to match the other buildings—you might want to raise both floors by a plate each to have them match, especially if you wanted to have it on the "lower level" of the city since having the roof line up extends the walkable space in front of the second-level buildings. On that same note, you might want to make adjustments to the roofline as well to make that space more clear without "side rails" between it and the neighboring buildings. All that might be moot for me anyway since, while the Creator Noodle Shop is a fantastic design, I'm leaning against including it in my city if for no other reason than having it that close to the Pigsy's Noodles from the Monkey King Warrior Mech set (which I already planned to include) feels a bit redundant, and less exciting to me than including an entirely unique facility.

Currently I'm leaning toward modifying the Anti-Gravity Arcade to fill up at least some of my lower-level space. I'd been at a bit of a standstill on those mods since I originally planned to have two interior floors with space to "float" up between them, but I wasn't able to come up with something for that that didn't feel claustrophobic. I decided this morning to try to nix the second floor interior in favor of a taller, more open space, which both better allows me to include the claw game from the original set (which was too tall to fit with another floor above it) and feels way better space-wise. I might include some attachment points on the upper walls for transparent minifigure stands to really bring the "anti-gravity" concept home. I'm still not 100% finished to my satisfaction but doing so might wait until I have the parts in hand so I can better assess how to properly expand the building while making the most of the parts I already own.

If I can finish that off, that leaves me with just one 8x8 space to fill. The easiest way for me to do that would be something like a small newsstand that could be attached to the right of the bubble tea shop—I'd just have to figure out a design and how best to fill it with varied-looking periodicals. A part of me wishes there were some Chinese-language newspaper or magazine prints that could be used there, but sadly I don't think Lego's been doing Chinese-themed sets long enough for that to be a thing, so I might have to rely on prints from themes like City (and possibly unprinted tiles or ingot pieces for variety).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2022 at 9:45 AM, scottypavarotti said:

I don’t know if this has already been covered, but I popped into my local LEGO store today in Edinburgh and they had a handful of Monkie Kid sets on the shelf for the first time since the store opened. They had the Galactic Explorer, Fire Ring, Dragon Car and Staff Creations sets. Those are the first ones I’ve seen on shelves for a long time in the UK. So…not online only at least.

If it’s anything like around here...it would be sporadic. The two closest stores to me don’t have any on the shelf. Went a different store a few months back that’s a bit further away & they had a small handful of them. Maybe they’re testing the waters with a few at a time. I would love to be able to find these in stores. Not just LEGO stores either, so there’s a better chance at a discount. 

Edited by Vindicare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2022 at 5:49 PM, Lyichir said:

It's ALMOST compatible. It can fit next to the other buildings just fine. But there's some small sort of quality-of-life tweaks I'd like to make if I wanted to fit it into my city. The second floor and roof aren't quite the perfect height to match the other buildings—you might want to raise both floors by a plate each to have them match, especially if you wanted to have it on the "lower level" of the city since having the roof line up extends the walkable space in front of the second-level buildings. On that same note, you might want to make adjustments to the roofline as well to make that space more clear without "side rails" between it and the neighboring buildings. All that might be moot for me anyway since, while the Creator Noodle Shop is a fantastic design, I'm leaning against including it in my city if for no other reason than having it that close to the Pigsy's Noodles from the Monkey King Warrior Mech set (which I already planned to include) feels a bit redundant, and less exciting to me than including an entirely unique facility.

Currently I'm leaning toward modifying the Anti-Gravity Arcade to fill up at least some of my lower-level space. I'd been at a bit of a standstill on those mods since I originally planned to have two interior floors with space to "float" up between them, but I wasn't able to come up with something for that that didn't feel claustrophobic. I decided this morning to try to nix the second floor interior in favor of a taller, more open space, which both better allows me to include the claw game from the original set (which was too tall to fit with another floor above it) and feels way better space-wise. I might include some attachment points on the upper walls for transparent minifigure stands to really bring the "anti-gravity" concept home. I'm still not 100% finished to my satisfaction but doing so might wait until I have the parts in hand so I can better assess how to properly expand the building while making the most of the parts I already own.

If I can finish that off, that leaves me with just one 8x8 space to fill. The easiest way for me to do that would be something like a small newsstand that could be attached to the right of the bubble tea shop—I'd just have to figure out a design and how best to fill it with varied-looking periodicals. A part of me wishes there were some Chinese-language newspaper or magazine prints that could be used there, but sadly I don't think Lego's been doing Chinese-themed sets long enough for that to be a thing, so I might have to rely on prints from themes like City (and possibly unprinted tiles or ingot pieces for variety).

Lots of good ideas there. I've been meaning to expand the Anti-Gravity Arcade myself, I just need June to arrive for sets 41708 and 31131 to be released so I can use parts from those to add to it. Expanding it as a City of Lanterns compatible build would make sense. I'll probably borrow the arcade machine from Ninjago City Gardens for it as well.

I've been considering getting set 75550 for parts that would complement a Chinese themed build, though I think the only tile with an image in that set is just a dragon face, there doesn't seem to be any Chinese characters. I should probably open my Flower Fruit Mountain, there's lots of Chinese writing on that sticker sheet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very excited for next month as a Monkie Kid fan. Even though sadly the new sets won't be available in my country for a few more months, the release in Europe and Asia will mean that the instructions should be available digitally and, hopefully, reviews will start to crop up as well (I'm looking forward to reviews of the Heavenly Realm set especially since I'm still trying to translate some of the banners in the set and understand how the unfolding function is built a little more clearly, both of which would be greatly aided by reviews). On top of that, near the start of the month Children's ITV in the UK (which has recently started airing Season 3 of the show) will be airing the four-episode end-of-season special (concluding this year's story with what seems like it might end up being the final battle between MK and the Lady Bone Demon).

Obviously I'd be even more excited if the sets were releasing and the third season of the show were airing in the U.S. as well (grumble grumble...), but in the meantime other countries getting those things is still something to look forward to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'll almost certainly never happen officially, but what would be some other mythologies and legends that would be interesting to see depicted in the Monkie Kid style?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Natant16 said:

It'll almost certainly never happen officially, but what would be some other mythologies and legends that would be interesting to see depicted in the Monkie Kid style?

Not really a myth, and seriously unlikely to happen, but when Monkie Kid first came out I sort of entertained the idea of what a similar take on the Wizard of Oz (another famous story about five unusual characters setting off together on a journey to the west) might look like. Imagine... a big Tin Man mech, an evil clan of high-tech flying monkeys, maybe Cowardly Lion as a bigfig. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Not really a myth, and seriously unlikely to happen, but when Monkie Kid first came out I sort of entertained the idea of what a similar take on the Wizard of Oz (another famous story about five unusual characters setting off together on a journey to the west) might look like. Imagine... a big Tin Man mech, an evil clan of high-tech flying monkeys, maybe Cowardly Lion as a bigfig. :P

Considering how bizzare Return to Oz gets. It would for sure make for some interesting character and set designs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Not really a myth, and seriously unlikely to happen, but when Monkie Kid first came out I sort of entertained the idea of what a similar take on the Wizard of Oz (another famous story about five unusual characters setting off together on a journey to the west) might look like. Imagine... a big Tin Man mech, an evil clan of high-tech flying monkeys, maybe Cowardly Lion as a bigfig. :P

Considering how many Oz books there actually are in the series; and how much the story evolves with new characters being introduced and Dorothy's family permanently relocating to Oz eventually, there would be so much scope for years worth of great sets and storylines. The Woozy is practically a Lego model already, but imagine characters like Polychrome, The Phanfasms, King Dox, The Hungry Tiger, Tik-Tok, Bungle The Glass Cat, The Woggle-Bug, The Scoodlers, The Patchwork Girl, The Gargoyles, The Horners etc in Lego form.

 

I'd love to see a Lego theme based around a team of descendants of mythological deities who have to fight legendary monsters from different mythologies or folk tales. Like maybe a group consisting of a descendant of Hephaestus who could build mechs and weapons, a descendant of Thor or The Morrigan who handles the fighting, a descendant of Isis who is good with computers and research etc...

There could be sets where they take on Cerberus, Balor, Baba Yaga, Typhon, Xiangliu, Krampus, Tiamat, Apopis, Fenris, Hela, Koschei, Qiongqi, Eris etc..

Kind of like a kid-friendly American Gods.

 

Or even an in house theme that really delves deep into Arthurian legend. Give us a Camelot Lego set with a sword in the stone build and a round table, a Lady of the Lake set, a Merlin Vs Morgan Le Fay set, a Gawain Vs The Green Knight set, Arthur Vs Mordred, dragons, unicorns etc..  They could probably even shoehorn the ever popular Forestmen in there somewhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just a small update on my City of Lanterns expansion! I've finally begun building IRL and successfully expanded the three upper-level buildings (there are still a few minor mods I'd like to make once I have the parts for them, like swapping the 1x2x3 black windows on the ground floor of the hotel for 1x2x2 sand blue ones that match the upper floors' window color). My dad has also expressed interest in figuring out a way to power the elevated tram—we're considering both purist solutions (like an external wheel that gets it going around the track, if it's possible to get it going fast enough to clear the front of the city and still look good) as well as the non-purist option of modifying a roller coaster car (since my second copy of the set came with three more cars, one of which could possibly be sacrificed to try to give it a set of driving wheels).
 


I've started working on one of the additional buildings, too, which is a modified version of the Anti-Gravity Arcade from the Lion Guardian set. Today I made a Bricklink order with a lot of parts (especially Dark Azure parts) that I'll need to add a second level and roof to it. Then I'll just have one two-story 8x8 space to fill, so I'll have to try to come up with something for that. Maybe I'll have another go at adapting the concept of the shoe store from the season one special—the scene is beloved by a lot of fans so it'd be a fun inclusion, I just had trouble coming up with effective signage for it last time I gave it a go. But I've had better luck with the arcade concept since the last time I attempted it too, so maybe giving the shoe store another attempt could yield similar results.
 

Edited by Lyichir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Maybe I'll have another go at adapting the concept of the shoe store from the season one special—the scene is beloved by a lot of fans so it'd be a fun inclusion, I just had trouble coming up with effective signage for it last time I gave it a go. 
 

Maybe something similar to this?

52108749587_123db3d294_m.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Killian said:

Maybe something similar to this?

52108749587_123db3d294_m.jpg

I dunno... I was thinking flat signage on the front would be ideal because the building has to have roof space on top for the walkway from the train platform. And I'd rather have something more universal and descriptive than just a real world brand logo (like an image of a shoe). I'll figure something out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so i went to get the 3 new monkie kid sets at my local discovery centre store

 while i did find the dragon of the east the other 2 wont be in stock for up until 2 weeks but it gives me the chance to get that gwp mid june then if i hold off for them

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just taken a look at the instructions for the monkie kids van set, I have been curious about the vans interior due to no pics/reviews being available. Its an incredibly interesting build, and I'm happy to see that the gunner seat doesn't take up the entire mid section. Theres a weapons rack, and a space for 2 other figures. Theres also a clamp on the back door to hold the buggy which is great. There is a lot of space that is unused and unfortunately inaccessible, such as a bit of space under the drivers seats. Really though, I now really love this build. The entire set just looks amazing, and I love all the details in the containers. The price isn't bad either at £90, and its certainly one I'm considering picking up now. Its a shame all these sets are so good, i'm gonna have no budget left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished season 3. And the finale episode really hammers home the point that

Spoiler

the story is done. I mean the scroll that unfurls at the end could be a magic item that starts a new story arc.. Or it could just be Tang's finished copy of his new chapter of Journey to the West, showing that the story is over. Does anyone know if any of the characters on that scroll can be translated into English? I mean from the look of it, it's just random symbols the animators probably just made up?

52120049580_dd381a4fcb_m.jpg

Does anyone know if there will be a season 4? I feel that there's plenty longevity left in the toyline at least, does anyone know if Lego is developing any new Monkie Kid sets for next year?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Killian said:

Just finished season 3. And the finale episode really hammers home the point that

  Hide contents

the story is done. I mean the scroll that unfurls at the end could be a magic item that starts a new story arc.. Or it could just be Tang's finished copy of his new chapter of Journey to the West, showing that the story is over. Does anyone know if any of the characters on that scroll can be translated into English? I mean from the look of it, it's just random symbols the animators probably just made up?

52120049580_dd381a4fcb_m.jpg

Does anyone know if there will be a season 4? I feel that there's plenty longevity left in the toyline at least, does anyone know if Lego is developing any new Monkie Kid sets for next year?

 

I think last year a designer mentioned working on Monkie Kid sets for 2023. So at least at that point there were plans to continue the theme.

If the story is continuing, it wouldn't be the first time a theme had a "grand finale" that turned out not to be the end after all. Ninjago has had one or two such finales that would have been perfectly good conclusions to the theme if the decision hadn't been made to continue it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Killian said:

Just finished season 3. And the finale episode really hammers home the point that

  Reveal hidden contents

the story is done. I mean the scroll that unfurls at the end could be a magic item that starts a new story arc.. Or it could just be Tang's finished copy of his new chapter of Journey to the West, showing that the story is over. Does anyone know if any of the characters on that scroll can be translated into English? I mean from the look of it, it's just random symbols the animators probably just made up?

52120049580_dd381a4fcb_m.jpg

Does anyone know if there will be a season 4? I feel that there's plenty longevity left in the toyline at least, does anyone know if Lego is developing any new Monkie Kid sets for next year?

 

I mean 

Spoiler

Lady Bone Demon isn't beaten. So technically the story isn't done

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

I mean 

  Reveal hidden contents

Lady Bone Demon isn't beaten. So technically the story isn't done

 

Have you watched the just-released "Embrace your Destiny" four-episode special yet? Because if you haven't then you technically haven't seen all of Season 3 yet.

Edited by Lyichir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Have you watched the just-released "Embrace your Destiny" four-episode special yet? Because if you haven't then you technically haven't seen all of Season 3 yet.

I have not. Season 3 in English isn't on Amazon Prime yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

I have not. Season 3 in English isn't on Amazon Prime yet.

I watched all 14 episodes of season 3 on the ITV HUB streaming service in the UK.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Killian said:

I watched all 14 episodes of season 3 on the ITV HUB streaming service in the UK.

 

Not sure if that's in Canada

I don't get why Amazon Prime hasn't uploaded them yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.