Anonknee Muss

LEGO Monkie Kid 2022

6 minutes ago, Bloquerto said:

It's because of the lack of Monkie Kid news. When we get pictures and descriptions of the four 2023 sets that are left to reveal, this thread will have a lot of activity. Talking about, I hope LEGO reveals the entire wave soon. I'm so excited to get minifigs of the original characters of JTTW.

Agreed on above, I love when forums get a massive up boost, just fans talking about lego. I really hope we can see them soon as well, we know theres 5 sets, we've seen 1, got names for 2 others and that leaves 2 more. I'm kinda concerned that its only 5 sets, smaller than this years wave I believe, hopefully this isn't the end of the journey. 

Edited by a guy from somewhere

hopefully this isn't the end of the journey.

I'm hopeful it won't. Even more, my guess is that we will have another story arc of three seasons like we got with LBD. This is all speculation of course, but I feel Azure Lion is the main bad guy of this wave but he isn't the big villain. My guess is that it will be The Grand Saint of Nine Spirits or also called Nine Headed Lion. He is the one that command the other lion demons like Azure Lion. I know these two characters are not necessarely connected in the original JTTW novel but I would like to see something like this.

I think the big reason why other themes' threads tend to be more active is because there's just more to talk about. Licensed themes in particular basically have an endless amount of stuff to speculate on since the sets are usually pulling from multiple, extremely deep wells of content. That's not a fault of Monkie Kid or Ninjago, it's just how it works for original Lego series from what I've seen.

I wonder if the Yellow Tusk Elephant build will be anything similar to this? Also, I love how Red Boy has a fire cart like in the novel

!                                                                                                                                 s-l500

Edited by Killian

@Killian Dear god, that has to be the ugliest clone brand set I've ever seen. I don't think it's own mother could love it. The cartoon picture in the lower left makes me the of a cross between Planet of the Apes, Journey to the West, and the Coneheads from SNL. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go clean my eyeballs with bleach...

13 hours ago, Natant16 said:

How long does it usually take between the first set and the rest of the wave being revealed for MK?

Last year the 2022 sets were revealed on the 27th of November, so I imagine it won't be long now. Since the sets are due to release at the start of January, I presume they'll be revealed by the start of next month.

11 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Last year the 2022 sets were revealed on the 27th of November, so I imagine it won't be long now. Since the sets are due to release at the start of January, I presume they'll be revealed by the start of next month.

Couple of leakers (the good guys) have hinted at this coming week being the reveal week. We sit tight till then. 

On 11/24/2022 at 12:20 PM, Killian said:

There's never very much frequent discussion about adventure themes such as Monkie Kid on this site, maybe one or two replies to a thread every few days or so on average. Same with some other threads about different themes. Does anybody know of any other, more popular and active, online Lego forums where the discussion is a bit livelier? Or is the lack of ongoing, regular chat about in-house action themes just indicative of their lack of popularity compared to licensed themes?

I think it’s a mix of things. Lack of exposure for the theme could lead some to not giving it much attention. I give it a lot on the other hand. :tongue: And, particularly with AFOLs, I think there’s a bit of a mech/vehicle fatigue because of Ninjago. It is a shame this theme gets the treatment it does, it really is a great theme. 

On 11/24/2022 at 1:37 PM, a guy from somewhere said:

Agreed on above, I love when forums get a massive up boost, just fans talking about lego. I really hope we can see them soon as well, we know theres 5 sets, we've seen 1, got names for 2 others and that leaves 2 more. I'm kinda concerned that its only 5 sets, smaller than this years wave I believe, hopefully this isn't the end of the journey. 

I certainly hope not. Next to HP this is the one theme I’m buying a lot from & focusing on. We’ve gotten so many gems in this theme & excellent minifigs that I hope it doesn’t end anytime soon. I thought it was going evergreen? Did I read that or just imagine it...:look:

36 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

I think it’s a mix of things. Lack of exposure for the theme could lead some to not giving it much attention. I give it a lot on the other hand. :tongue: And, particularly with AFOLs, I think there’s a bit of a mech/vehicle fatigue because of Ninjago. It is a shame this theme gets the treatment it does, it really is a great theme. 

I certainly hope not. Next to HP this is the one theme I’m buying a lot from & focusing on. We’ve gotten so many gems in this theme & excellent minifigs that I hope it doesn’t end anytime soon. I thought it was going evergreen? Did I read that or just imagine it...:look:

Actually your right, I believe it is slated as an evergreen theme. So what does that mean? This is based off the JTTW book, so eventually they come to the end of the book? Or maybe they just keep going, keep inventing things. As long as MK sticks around, im happy. I really need to get a way to get these sets though, I barely shop online at lego and annoyingly its the only place where they are sold in the UK!

7 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

Actually your right, I believe it is slated as an evergreen theme. So what does that mean? This is based off the JTTW book, so eventually they come to the end of the book? Or maybe they just keep going, keep inventing things. As long as MK sticks around, im happy. I really need to get a way to get these sets though, I barely shop online at lego and annoyingly its the only place where they are sold in the UK!

I don't think getting to the "end of the book" is much of a worry, to be honest—Journey to the West is long and has a LOT of characters, and so far the theme's been introducing only a couple characters from the original book each year. Plus Lego could potentially draw from other Chinese folklore if it came to that.

Journey to the West is an extremely long picaresque novel with 100 chapters. Think of it like five seasons of an hour-long TV show from the nineties with 20 episodes per season, with some continuing plot and character arcs but mostly with each episode (chapter) standing alone. There's plenty of material to draw from.

Edited by icm

7 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

If they finally run out of JTTW characters in about 10 years or so, there's a couple of unofficial sequels they could draw from that introduce new characters like Sun Wukong's children etc. Though they may already be, since one of them involves Monkey King involved in time travel in a weird dreamscape; and the new 2023 sets seem to be hinting at a possible time travel plot. Plus there's other culturally significant mythologies in China they could cross over with.

8 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

Monkie kid is already a sequel to the original story so they aren’t really tethered to the original stories if they don’t want to be, I think once they have a sufficient number of characters to work with they will probably veer off in their own direction completely, although I don’t see that happening for another few years

9 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

I haven’t read the book, but I doubt they had mechs. :grin: So I think there’s plenty they can draw from. Plus, they could give us traditional locales like Flower Fruit Mountain & Heavenly Realms every year or so. Going off the other comments there’s no shortage of inspiration. 

Does anyone own the city of lanterns/monkey king warrior mech and the creator noodle shop set? I believe the buildings are compatible, with the same footprint and I'd like to see what they look like together. I'm also thinking the noodle shop could integrate pretty well into a ninjago city block. Hopefully we see the sets soon, I think this week will be it, but as MK is a lego exclusive, it may take more time than the other themes. Really want to be hyped for the static base set however I dont want to be disappointed. Best case scenario is basically a "pod pack" that contains like 6 containers, they can be stacked and rearranged, and theres a bedroom, kitchen, living area, utility/eating place container, armoury/base container and finally a vehicle that is stored in the last one (like how the cloud jet was effectively stored in one in the show). This would be my dream set, although I doubt this would ever happen. Maybe I just need to BrickLink the parts for all the containers we've got so far, mod the ones that make up structures (like the HQ and van) and then build my own. Speaking of which, just out of interest has anyone modded their HQ set from the first wave? I'm wondering what I can do with it, and my plans currently are to elongate the front, and add the helm section for sandy thats in the show and goes under the watch tower. Any MK set mods in general would be cool to see. 

On 11/24/2022 at 1:33 PM, Bloquerto said:

Talking about, I hope LEGO reveals the entire wave soon. I'm so excited to get minifigs of the original characters of JTTW.

Yes, I am hoping for more characters as well. I am really liking the figures from this theme, especially yellow tusk elephant.

6 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

Does anyone own the city of lanterns/monkey king warrior mech and the creator noodle shop set? I believe the buildings are compatible, with the same footprint and I'd like to see what they look like together. I'm also thinking the noodle shop could integrate pretty well into a ninjago city block. Hopefully we see the sets soon, I think this week will be it, but as MK is a lego exclusive, it may take more time than the other themes. Really want to be hyped for the static base set however I dont want to be disappointed. Best case scenario is basically a "pod pack" that contains like 6 containers, they can be stacked and rearranged, and theres a bedroom, kitchen, living area, utility/eating place container, armoury/base container and finally a vehicle that is stored in the last one (like how the cloud jet was effectively stored in one in the show). This would be my dream set, although I doubt this would ever happen. Maybe I just need to BrickLink the parts for all the containers we've got so far, mod the ones that make up structures (like the HQ and van) and then build my own. Speaking of which, just out of interest has anyone modded their HQ set from the first wave? I'm wondering what I can do with it, and my plans currently are to elongate the front, and add the helm section for sandy thats in the show and goes under the watch tower. Any MK set mods in general would be cool to see. 

I don’t have them together at the moment but they are in the same vicinity. They definitely go together well. Take the wedge plate area off the noodle shop & you could replace it with any module from Lanterns. Or you could fit it on the opposite side of the stairs, just remove the Technic pins(or remove the stairs & put it next to the buildings). 

I just got the Chang’e Moon Cake Factory. Love the set but what’s the deal(I need to watch the show...)? Is Chang’e a good guy? She’s definitely not happy that Pigsy...looks to be stealing some cakes judging by the box art. 

2 hours ago, Vindicare said:

I just got the Chang’e Moon Cake Factory. Love the set but what’s the deal(I need to watch the show...)? Is Chang’e a good guy? She’s definitely not happy that Pigsy...looks to be stealing some cakes judging by the box art. 

Spoilers if you do want to watch the show (plot description),

Spoiler

Chang'e is a cooking streamer, who Pigsy is a big fan of, and the crew go to the moon to recover the ring, and Chang'e thinks they are there for her cookbook. There is also a factory on the moon, which is patrolled by the robot bunnys, so they must evade the rabbits and get the ring, and eventually they make friends with Chang'e. Its a decent episode, not my favourite from season 3 but still very good.

I like the way they set up Chang'e to be either an ally or adversary depending how you look at it.

There are two versions of how she ended up on the moon in Chinese mythology. In one it was due to a selfish act where she betrayed her husband, in another it was unplanned when she was trying to secure a return to The Heavenly Realms with her husband and someone else interfered.

In both versions she ended up stuck on the moon alone.

The 2020 animated movie Over The Moon was a decent sequel to the legend in a next chapter like MK kind of way.. Like how Nezha Reborn is a great sequel to Nezha's legend, and is very Monkie Kid like in it's action focus.

There certainly seems to be a trend in animated sequels to Chinese mythological legends in the past few years.

Edited by Killian
Adding more spiel

14 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

Spoilers if you do want to watch the show (plot description),

Hide contents

Chang'e is a cooking streamer, who Pigsy is a big fan of, and the crew go to the moon to recover the ring, and Chang'e thinks they are there for her cookbook. There is also a factory on the moon, which is patrolled by the robot bunnys, so they must evade the rabbits and get the ring, and eventually they make friends with Chang'e. Its a decent episode, not my favourite from season 3 but still very good.

Okay...so she’s basically neutral. Just leave her & her rabbits alone to make cakes & all is well. :grin: She may have reason to be concerned though, Pigsy does have a bag full of something. Would’ve been nice to get a physical cookbook. 

Really happy we're gonna see an original Mr. Tang (Tang Sanzang) in the upcoming set.  I've been collecting the sets and minis that have been more true to the original story, even making a custom mini out of Roadhog as my Pigsy.

I'm not too interested in getting the full set, but hopefully the hat and the body parts will be available on PAB, like much of the other Monkie Kid parts got.  I already pick up the 6 ears headpiece for my Flower Fruit Mountain Macacque.

Sets revealed, someone needs to make the 2023 page. 2 £20 sets???? Lego is listening! And they all look amazing! The team hide out is beautiful, the elephant looks great, the dragon jet is alright, and the small mech is so good!