Anonknee Muss

LEGO Monkie Kid 2022

Well, the new set has been revealed! No containers sadly, but definitely impressive! Looks more like a MOC than a set, looks like we get MK, sun Wukon and tang, who all have new prints. Liking the exo-armour look, and tang has the original monk gear on from the journey to the west book from the looks of it. The mech itself feels kind of all over the place, I’m sure once we get better pictures I’ll come around to it but at the moment it looks too messy and overbuilt. I like the wrist mounted blades, and the new staff for the king. Head looks weird, almost like a rabbit with the tassels behind it, and I’m not sure if I like the cloud vinyl elements mounted on the back. Villains look pretty damn interesting, can anyone who is familiar with the JTTW book identity them? Or are they new characters? Either way I like them! This new wave seems to be really interesting. I wonder what the price of it is, if it’s the same as the current Monkie mech I may just get the old one over this one. Does anyone know if the set will be put up on Lego.com soon do we can see better images?

In another note, it looks like Tang, Mei and MK all make a cameo in the Chinese New Year float set, I can see Mei on one of the floats, tang standing next to it and Mk at the back holding a lantern. Hopefully it’s the regular version of Tang as He needs to come in more sets with his robes. The new mech has him but in new robes. Speaking of which, anyone got any ideas for a custom purist Mr Tang? 

New Monkey King Mech? . . I have the original one I don’t need this . . I don’t right? . . I’m still gonna get it aren’t I I’m a sucker for an awesome looking Mech . . 

Also, not sure about the other two, but holy crap is that a LEGO Ganesha?!

Another picture has come out, some what official. There’s a jet/vehicle in the background that looks to be made up of parts of the mech, which is pretty cool. Also good to see the mech itself won’t suffer too much damage when it’s taken apart 

The mech looks amazing! Also, on the lower right of the photo, does that look like a Tang Sanzang fig to anyone else?

Edited by Lyichir

1 minute ago, Lyichir said:

The mech looks amazing! Also, on the lower right of the photo, does that look like a Tang Sanzang fig to anyone else?

Yes, I believe that is him, maybe the MK Tang has taken the role, or maybe he has returned from the book? We know MK takes place thousands or years after journey to the west, so if that the original Tang, that could be interesting. I suspect there could be some funny moments in the show with 2 Tangs interacting. Hopefully we get high quality pictures soon. 

I like a lot the new set. I don't have the Monkey King Warrior Mech and although I believe it's better than this new mech, I will get this new one for sure. I love the minifigures. 

6 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

Villains look pretty damn interesting, can anyone who is familiar with the JTTW book identity them? Or are they new characters?

According to the wiki of JTTW, they are the Azure Lion Demon (or Lion Lynx Demon), the Yellow Toothed Elephant Demon and Golden Winged Great Peng.

Yes, the demons of camel ridge. I'm going to need to do some research.... 

I'm gonna try and finish journey to the west before Christmas, I slowed down a couple of months ago and need to pick it back up. Wonder what else we could get as sets in this wave. I'm personally hoping for some sort of large mountain temple. 

Tang Sanzang minifig!!!!! that's all I need to complete the journey to the west key characters!   I don't know if I need another Monkie King Mech though.  The original one is perfect.  This ones feel like LEGO ran out of ideas so let's do exactly what most japanese anime does, facelift of the original.  

Just now, Pchan1983 said:

Tang Sanzang minifig!!!!! that's all I need to complete the journey to the west key characters!   I don't know if I need another Monkie King Mech though.  The original one is perfect.  This ones feel like LEGO ran out of ideas so let's do exactly what most japanese anime does, facelift of the original.  

Bricks by mind described it best, it’s like the destiny’s bounty for Ninjago. I can see the monkey mech being upgraded every 3 years until we get something like the tech wizard showdown from nexo knights, a mech inside a mech. Or that giant hunk of junk Lego just released yesterday…..

anyways I feel like monkey mechs are gonna sorta be a staple now, although they set the bar incredibly high with the first mech. It’s a shame it’s out of stock now, I was going back and fourth in getting it. I will not let my indecisiveness let me down, although I’m hoping we get a look at the new stuff soon. What was the time gap between the galactic explorer and the rest of the wave being revealed this year? 

I'm a little torn on this one. In a vacuum I think it looks pretty good, but I already own the original and this one doesn't look quite as impressive to me. It's still cool, but I don't think I'm going to grab this one given how expensive it will surely be. 

3 hours ago, Bloquerto said:

According to the wiki of JTTW, they are the Azure Lion Demon (or Lion Lynx Demon), the Yellow Toothed Elephant Demon and Golden Winged Great Peng.

They look like hindu deities

Ok I was a little torn at first and I don’t love the vinyl parts, but after seeing that it can shed a bunch of accessories to streamline itself and the accessories combine into a flying vehicle without the mech looking incomplete, im a bit more sold.

in regards to why remake it, while the original is a FANTASTIC display model, it’s not very playable. It’s big, heavy, and doesn’t have great articulation. Not to mention the multitude of new joints we got in the last year or so that let this new variant of the mech have far better and more useful articulation. The head I also wasn’t sold on, but some of the pics seem to show it having a light brick inside to give it glowing eyes, and if that’s why it’s a little oversized, I’ll give that one a pass. 

I wonder if the modular bits that combine into the jet will use the “staff creations” vehicle module system. It’d be really cool to get stuff that expands that set some.

i want more pics to see the full extent of what it can do, but so far, I’m sold, it’s a worthy addition to the line.

Some auxiliary Info from brick clicker: it’s 160 USD so maybe £140? Im not sold on that price, and there are 4 more sets yet to be revealed. Excited to see what they bring, but also disappointed with the price of the mech and the fact that if the wave is only 5 sets, we’re probably not gonna get another container vehicle till summer at least, and that’s with the drone copter and TEA still on the market. 

I love it. I think I it’s distinctly different enough from the old one that it won’t feel repetitive getting it. Can’t wait to get the official reveal so we can get a much better look at it. 

I dont need the new Mech as I too have the "old" one 80012.

But I'm a sucker for new MK Minifigs and we all know, that there will be some set-exclusive ones... Dammit!

Mechs been officially revealed, looks like there different weapons to collect. Definitely coming around on it.

£120 is certainly pushing it on price though…

Looks like the weapons or collectibles are the original JTTW characters signature weapons, the staff, the 9 toothed rake, the spade thing Sandy carries and Sangs staff thing. Very interesting, I’m willing to bet there’s an exclusive figure for every weapon that comes in the set. 

29 minutes ago, a guy from somewhere said:

Looks like the weapons or collectibles are the original JTTW characters signature weapons, the staff, the 9 toothed rake, the spade thing Sandy carries and Sangs staff thing. Very interesting, I’m willing to bet there’s an exclusive figure for every weapon that comes in the set. 

1 minute ago, a guy from somewhere said:

The sets description specifically describes it as an upgrade to the old monkey mech and “the original version of Mr Tang”

I'm guessing the story involves time travel of some kind back to the original JTTW, with these weapons and "original" Tang being from that time. Maybe Monkey King too, since he has the binding band on his forehead in this set.

As for the set itself, these images make it look beefier than it did on Saturday, and I' very surprised to see it has more pats than the warrior mech, but I still prefer the old one over this one. There's something about how ornate the warrior mech looks that made it so attractive to me, and this one just feels like another sci-fi mech, so in that sense it feels less unique. I do like how the jet combines to it though, especially the wings on the sides and the cannons on the shoulder. I like the idea of the wrist shield, but I feel like it'll get in the way of posing the set with the staff, since they'll just run into each other. The light-up eyes are cool, and the minifigs are fantastic, the villains especially. I'm glad this is one of the few themes to have most of its parts available on B&P, so I don't have to worry if one of these guys is completely exclusive to this set (though I doubt it). I'm interested to see what the rest of these are like, especially a villain based set, so hopefully the wait won't be too long.

15 minutes ago, The_Fiery_Rooster said:

I'm guessing the story involves time travel of some kind back to the original JTTW, with these weapons and "original" Tang being from that time. Maybe Monkey King too, since he has the binding band on his forehead in this set.

As for the set itself, these images make it look beefier than it did on Saturday, and I' very surprised to see it has more pats than the warrior mech, but I still prefer the old one over this one. There's something about how ornate the warrior mech looks that made it so attractive to me, and this one just feels like another sci-fi mech, so in that sense it feels less unique. I do like how the jet combines to it though, especially the wings on the sides and the cannons on the shoulder. I like the idea of the wrist shield, but I feel like it'll get in the way of posing the set with the staff, since they'll just run into each other. The light-up eyes are cool, and the minifigs are fantastic, the villains especially. I'm glad this is one of the few themes to have most of its parts available on B&P, so I don't have to worry if one of these guys is completely exclusive to this set (though I doubt it). I'm interested to see what the rest of these are like, especially a villain based set, so hopefully the wait won't be too long.

I'm not entirely sure if it is time travel, as the box art looks like the original crew but just wearing the old school garbs. Looks like I get my wish for Ninjago to go back to ancient times, although its the wrong theme! This may actually be more interesting considering all the demons they can pull from the book, I wonder if we are going to get different demons in different sets. Better get that 2023 thread up and running.... 

Considering I wasn't really a fan of it when initially revealed, I'm pleasantly surprised by this. I really like the mech, although I stand by my original opinion of it being to messy and sort of over worked, and sadly still no knees. A big fan of it otherwise, although I'm not sure I'll pick it up considering the price. I'll judge it when the rest of the wave comes out and we can see the other figs and weapons. I have a feeling this is one im gonna need to get to complete the weapon set. 

I think the Ultra Mech does look a bit better in the new pictures, but I'm still more partial to the original. Sadly I don' think I'm going to be able to swing this one.

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/monkey-king-ultra-mech-80045
Ough... it looks SO good! And they're really spoiling me, a person who likes to try to preview sets in Stud.io, with all these hi-res pictures. They even have a back picture! They almost NEVER have a back picture!

That first picture they use on the slide is amazing! That pose screams “buy me now!” Jan 1st just got a bit more expensive.