Anonknee Muss

LEGO Monkie Kid 2022

I remember seeing a list from Brick Fanatics, here it is: https://www.brickfanatics.com/every-lego-set-retiring-2022-january-update/

Pretty much everything is going, including the old holdouts. Get everything while you can, I guess. Obviously this wave isn't on the end of life list yet, even though some themes actually for some reason already have Jan 1st sets on their EOL list. 

Edited by Lady Bone Demon

So.... There's a new DC comic where a teenager takes on the mantle of The Monkey King, becoming The Monkey Prince. The story, set at least partly in Gotham City, features The King Bull Demon, Shifu Pigsy, Nezha, Red Boy, Princess Iron Fan etc..

I'm cautiously hoping it does well and expands on the Monkie Kid lore, hopefully making The Journey To The West more popular in America and Europe etc, so Lego may release the Monkie Kid sets in more places and continue with further seasons of the show so that season 4/the next special isn't necessarily the end of MK's animated adventures.

"Introducing the newest hero in the DCU, the great sage, equal to the heavens, better than his predecessor the legendary Monkey King, even better than the Justice League—and definitely the Teen Titans—(actually, all the heroes combined), everyone put your hands together for…the Monkey Prince! Marcus Sun moves around a lot because his adoptive parents are freelance henchpeople, so this month he finds himself as the new kid at Gotham City High School, where a mysterious man with pig features asks Marcus to walk through a water curtain to reveal himself as who Marcus really is…someone who has adventured through The Journey to the West, can transform into 72 different formations, can clone himself using his hairs, and is called…the Monkey Prince!"

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/new-10-page-dc-comic-monkey-prince-0-in-full/

1 hour ago, Killian said:

So.... There's a new DC comic where a teenager takes on the mantle of The Monkey King, becoming The Monkey Prince. The story, set at least partly in Gotham City, features The King Bull Demon, Shifu Pigsy, Nezha, Red Boy, Princess Iron Fan etc..

I'm cautiously hoping it does well and expands on the Monkie Kid lore, hopefully making The Journey To The West more popular in America and Europe etc, so Lego may release the Monkie Kid sets in more places and continue with further seasons of the show so that season 4/the next special isn't necessarily the end of MK's animated adventures.

"Introducing the newest hero in the DCU, the great sage, equal to the heavens, better than his predecessor the legendary Monkey King, even better than the Justice League—and definitely the Teen Titans—(actually, all the heroes combined), everyone put your hands together for…the Monkey Prince! Marcus Sun moves around a lot because his adoptive parents are freelance henchpeople, so this month he finds himself as the new kid at Gotham City High School, where a mysterious man with pig features asks Marcus to walk through a water curtain to reveal himself as who Marcus really is…someone who has adventured through The Journey to the West, can transform into 72 different formations, can clone himself using his hairs, and is called…the Monkey Prince!"

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/new-10-page-dc-comic-monkey-prince-0-in-full/

Does this mean the story of the Monkey King is public domain or did DC get the rights to it?  This is probably going to be a train wreck the way comics have gone recently.  Although this could be really interesting if done with a dark tone considering the characters in journey to the west.  Will have to see where this goes.  

It's public domain. The novel and characters are about five hundred years old. Any use of them in any context is fair game.

i mean, i doubt that lego really cares that much about expanding the monkey kid line in the west. even if the dc hero was elevated in popularity here, if they were planning to kill the theme after its intended date, they probably will. they're meant for a different market and the set design is reflected in that. western countries like good deals. eastern countries have a much bigger upper middle class that these sets are more tailored to.

Edited by Lady Bone Demon

It's not like spinoffs to JoTW are new , not even in the "West"

One of the better known anime/tv show being Dragon Ball.

But also many video game references, League of Legends/Dota (Monkey King character), Diablo 3 (Monk set), Overwatch (Event/Skins), Pokémon (Chimchar/Pignite and evolutions), and many more. 

Edited by TeriXeri

Anyone know where sticker 20 on set 80035 is supposed to go? I've combed through the instructions a couple times and even did like a text search in the digital instructions and I just... cannot find it. 

6 minutes ago, Lady Bone Demon said:

Anyone know where sticker 20 on set 80035 is supposed to go? I've combed through the instructions a couple times and even did like a text search in the digital instructions and I just... cannot find it. 

There are 3x Sticker 20 used on the 2x4 darkgrey slopes of the launch tower.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 1/30/2022 at 4:36 PM, zoth33 said:

Does this mean the story of the Monkey King is public domain or did DC get the rights to it?  This is probably going to be a train wreck the way comics have gone recently.  Although this could be really interesting if done with a dark tone considering the characters in journey to the west.  Will have to see where this goes.  

I've just read the prequel comic (issue 0) online and it's dark inasmuch as;

Spoiler

Red Boy's parents get murdered by Darkseid in retaliation for Sun Wukong stopping Darkseid from conquering The Celestial Realm. I didn't like that two important literary/folkloric characters were just wiped out within a few pages by a DC villain, but hopefully it'll have an importance in Red Boy's character arc. Besides it's a comic, they can probably come back to life/escape the underworld like The 6 Eared Macaque did in Monkie Kid before he met MK.

I think the Monkey Prince hating superheroes, and being in denial about Sun Wukong being his dad, as well as his dynamic with Pigsy will be comedic and silly in the comic book. But there are dark elements, as the Monkie Prince was traumatised in his childhood when his adoptive villainous henchman parents had their home violently invaded by Batman, giving him PTSD around capes and bats.

The comic may be a big mess, but I'm going to read it when it comes out before making up my mind on it.

Since Lego makes DC licensed sets, we may eventually see The Monkey Prince in a DC set, in the unlikely event of the character becoming popular.

There was an interview referenced online that mentioned Lego only commissioned Flying Bark to make 3 seasons of Monkie Kid and aren't willing to fund a further season after the current story is concluded in the upcoming special.

I hope the theme continues, even if there's no new cartoon episodes. Maybe Lego will do a comic that continues the story like they did with Nexo Knights in Europe? Or produce their own webisodes like they did for Hidden Side?

34 minutes ago, Killian said:

I've just read the prequel comic (issue 0) online and it's dark inasmuch as;

Reveal hidden contents

Red Boy's parents get murdered by Darkseid in retaliation for Sun Wukong stopping Darkseid from conquering The Celestial Realm. I didn't like that two important literary/folkloric characters were just wiped out within a few pages by a DC villain, but hopefully it'll have an importance in Red Boy's character arc. Besides it's a comic, they can probably come back to life/escape the underworld like The 6 Eared Macaque did in Monkie Kid before he met MK.

I think the Monkey Prince hating superheroes, and being in denial about Sun Wukong being his dad, as well as his dynamic with Pigsy will be comedic and silly in the comic book. But there are dark elements, as the Monkie Prince was traumatised in his childhood when his adoptive villainous henchman parents had their home violently invaded by Batman, giving him PTSD around capes and bats.

The comic may be a big mess, but I'm going to read it when it comes out before making up my mind on it.

Since Lego makes DC licensed sets, we may eventually see The Monkey Prince in a DC set, in the unlikely event of the character becoming popular.

To be honest even if that character becomes popular it might be a while before we see a character like that in sets, given that the majority of DC sets are either based on a movie (which generally have a pretty long turnaround time to be made after even a successful comic/comics event) or focus primarily on Batman and associated characters.

12 minutes ago, Killian said:

There was an interview referenced online that mentioned Lego only commissioned Flying Bark to make 3 seasons of Monkie Kid and aren't willing to fund a further season after the current story is concluded in the upcoming special.

I hope the theme continues, even if there's no new cartoon episodes. Maybe Lego will do a comic that continues the story like they did with Nexo Knights in Europe? Or produce their own webisodes like they did for Hidden Side?

I haven't seen or heard about an interview like that? Despite it looking like the main Lady Bone Demon arc might end this year, I hope that claims that the show might be ending are inaccurate or outdated information. I definitely feel like this is one of the most high-quality animated series Lego has made, and while the theme could possibly continue without the TV series to support it, it definitely wouldn't be the same...

Like, are they even really putting out DC superhero sets right now? A bit off topic I know, but besides the Tower of Fate rumor which the latest update on seems to have people confused on whether it's even really going to happen right now, it kind of seems like it's all just receding to focus on Batman. 

If you can find that interview Killian that might be insightful. It sounds plausible but I've never really heard anything about this theme and how it's doing in it's actual intended market. I know the European countries won't even put it in their lego stores, at least, that's the last I heard about that. 

11 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I haven't seen or heard about an interview like that? Despite it looking like the main Lady Bone Demon arc might end this year, I hope that claims that the show might be ending are inaccurate or outdated information. I definitely feel like this is one of the most high-quality animated series Lego has made, and while the theme could possibly continue without the TV series to support it, it definitely wouldn't be the same...

There's a video discussing it here,

though obviously it isn't an official statement from Lego or Flying Bark, it does reference conversations with the handsome showrunner Villads Spangsberg, one of which is here,

I hope we do get further seasons of MK, even if it has to be produced on a lower budget by a different studio. There's so many awesome directions it could go in

Seeing the modularity of the 2022 Space sets, and remembering the 2019 space sets really makes me want to try a modular MOD of the monkie kid galactic explorer at some point, and maybe move the moon cake factory into it's own module of the City moon base.

Using modules from the 2020 City Underwater base (which suprisingly is still available), could make some cool version of an underwater/passenger version of the Galactic Explorer as well as Yellow would fit with the design.

Space Police ships have been modular before as well. Galactic Mediator/Enforcer/Peacekeeper also fits with the Galactic Explorer namesake (beside Galaxy Explorer)

Right now, the Galactic Explorer is a great set on it's own but has a lot of potential for custom modules due to it's size.

Won't be a short-term build for me but just throwing the idea out there.

Edited by TeriXeri

16 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Seeing the modularity of the 2022 Space sets, and remembering the 2019 space sets really makes me want to try a modular MOD of the monkie kid galactic explorer at some point, and maybe move the moon cake factory into it's own module of the City moon base.

Using modules from the 2020 City Underwater base (which suprisingly is still available), could make some cool version of an underwater/passenger version of the Galactic Explorer as well as Yellow would fit with the design.

Space Police ships have been modular before as well. Galactic Mediator/Enforcer/Peacekeeper also fits with the Galactic Explorer namesake (beside Galaxy Explorer)

Right now, the Galactic Explorer is a great set on it's own but has a lot of potential for custom modules due to it's size.

Won't be a short-term build for me but just throwing the idea out there.

I feel like it could be a challenge to make the Galactic Explorer modular, given its overall size, complexity and density of detail. I feel like it would have to lose a lot to be made modular. I would love to see somebody MOD the mooncake factory into a larger modular moonbase complex, though!

I've also been thinking about designing a larger Monkie Kid rover inspired by the one in the Galactic Explorer for FebRovery. I'd have to work fast to get something done by the end of the month, though.

On 1/31/2022 at 10:16 PM, Killian said:

The in-house themes are always usually planned for around 3 years which would lead us up to the end of 2022 but we already know from Matthew Ashton they are working on 2023 products for the theme so I presume they'll push a new series for the show too

2 hours ago, Brick Clicker said:

The in-house themes are always usually planned for around 3 years which would lead us up to the end of 2022 but we already know from Matthew Ashton they are working on 2023 products for the theme so I presume they'll push a new series for the show too

That would be awesome :D

Edited by Killian
It went all weird

It's a little weird to be asking this question, but could Monkie Kid and Ninjago crossover in the future? I would love to see that happen in the tv show at some point, a man can dream.

When is season 3 on Monkie Kid releasing? Also Brick Clicker I'm a fan of yours, I watch your Lego leak videos. When do you think we'll get more information on the summer 2022 Harry Potter and Marvel sets? (Sorry this is probably not the best forum to ask that question)

Edited by Flaming Bricks

Ninjago pretty much brings in whatever it wants given it's nine realms concept includes Chima. I feel like they could always open the door to whatever lego theme they want crossing over in that case.

that being said i dont think a crossover is likely both because of how similar they are while at the same time how different they are. 

I  don't think Ninjago and Monkie Kid will do an official Crossover.

China and Japan don't have a very favorable view of eachother, and I don't think LEGO wants to stir that up by mixing the themes officially.

Edited by TeriXeri

True! But it would be cool to see a Garmadon vs. Lady Bone Demon battle! Also I would want to see Master Wu and Monkey King team up! Just a thought, maybe I should turn it into a brickfilm

2 hours ago, Lady Bone Demon said:

Ninjago pretty much brings in whatever it wants given it's nine realms concept includes Chima.

Chima hasn't had a significant role, there was one cameo with recycled footage in 2015 and 3 beaver cameos since 2019, it's not like Chima's had a full crossover or anything.

If Monkie Kid goes on to be successful, there's a better chance of a full crossover episode of some kind (never happened before, but there's a first time for everything). As you said, we can dream.