Anonknee Muss

LEGO Monkie Kid 2022

21 minutes ago, LightBringer said:

80037 Bull Family Palace - $119.99

80038 White Bone Castle - $139.99

Where you found that?

On 1/16/2022 at 7:33 AM, Mr No said:

I wonder if Monkie Kid is going underwater in the summer wave and if we get the scorpion bad guy in the summer or 2023.

The season 3 trailer has an underwater location, you can see coral in the background. I imagine the Scorpion demon riding a giant scorpion will come in a set similar to how they had the Spider Queen riding on small spider themed mech vehicles in some sets.

There's already been a set released showing Mei wielding the power of all three Samadhi Fire Rings, I'm interested to see if that plays out in the show. maybe only a dragon can use them, and that's why it's Mei and not MK or Sun Wukong?

Actually, since the Monkey King's staff came from a dragon, I wonder if Mei can wield it? Unless The Great Dragon enchanted it for TMK specifically, so only he or his chosen successor could lift it?

I'm surprised Monkey King's iconic circlet hasn't featured in the show, except on the mural and when MK first powered up. Since achieving enlightenment, the Monkey King didn't wear it, but I'd love to see Yin and Jin trick MK into putting it on so they could debilitate him with the headaches it causes by squeezing tight. It's be a great callback to a popular aspect of the original literature and would create character development for MK having to increase in wisdom or overcome his impulsiveness to be able to remove it

12 hours ago, Bloquerto said:

Where you found that?

I'll second that. They certainly sound like interesting set names, but IIRC Monkie Kid doesn't have a history of set names being leaked ahead of time—as a mostly D2C theme, it'd surprise me if that changed suddenly. So without a source or corroboration this sounds a little more like wishful thinking—no offense.

EDIT: If those are real they sound like they could be really cool. I'd love to see the Demon Bull family appear in a new set, especially if they got new designs, possibly with DBK as a minifigure or bigfig instead of the brick-built versions from earlier sets. And based on the taste we've gotten of Lady Bone Demon's signature aesthetic in her two previous appearances, a larger castle set for her would probably be super cool. Only two sets for summer would be a slight bummer compared to the three-set waves in earlier years, though. And a part of me was hoping that given Mei's apparent key role in the story (wielding all three Samadhi Fire Rings in the Macaque mech set) we might finally get a larger set for her, like a mech or dragon.

Edited by Lyichir

16 hours ago, LightBringer said:

80037 Bull Family Palace - $119.99

80038 White Bone Castle - $139.99

man if these are real... hoooh. 

obviously i would be the most excited for white bone castle but bull family palace seems just as interesting. im gathering a lot of that monkey kid polybag so far and being able to place that future skeleton army in the white bone castle sounds like a intriguing prospect to say the least...

that being said we dont seem to get leaks for this theme very often so im kind of doubting it on that front. that and there's no other source than this post so far. i want it to be real though.

Nezha's Fire Ring, Evil Macaque's Mech, and Moon Cake Factory are all really excellent sets. Just finished up those three today. The Nezha Fire Ring construction with the inner wheel running across the curved track piece build they set up is ingenious and works fairly well- and I'm surprised how well it's weighted. You could roll it pretty easily but its also weighted in a way where displaying it wouldn't really be a big issue. Evil Macaque's Mech feels like a budget version of the Monkey King Warrior Mech in a lot of ways, but this is not necessarily a bad thing- out of all the giant mechs they released this is easily one of the weakest ones and one without any kind of gimmick but I also feel like aesthetically it's going for something and hits it pretty well. Finally, the Moon Cake Factory is just a incredible take on a classic Space-feeling set with the transparent bubble windows and vehicles and it's really fun. Aesthetically throughout the whole build this thing goes strong where as a lot of LEGO sets tend to be ugly during construction, using a variety of rainbow building techniques. Not the case here- the designer for this one managed to find a color scheme that can incorporate a lot of colors without being overwhelming or out of step with the theme and that works well with the construction.

Nezha's Fire Ring I think ultimately does justify it's price, but it was a hard one to sit with originally for me. I thought the throne build and fire ring were strong builds but I didn't feel myself too sold on the speeder bike Macaque uses in this until I built it- in which case it made more of a case for itself. It has a sleek and edgy design that wouldn't feel too out of place in Star Wars but it has enough of the crazy over the top nature I enjoy greatly from Monkey Kid's vehicle design. The throne build is fantastic- I love how lopsided the steps are, the mini dungeon under the throne, just how the bones are placed to give that throne a really grand feel- Lady Bone Demon really is 2 for 2 with her builds so far and it makes me excited about potential future appearances. 

Can't wait to get to City of Lanterns and the other sets of this wave still. 

On 1/14/2022 at 8:49 PM, Lyichir said:

I'm not 100% sure of why the hole is there either, to be honest. A part of me thinks maybe it's there in case you put something loose in the cargo area (instead of the rover) and it jammed the rotation feature when you closed it up, so that instead it could either fall free or get pried out without major disassembly? But I'm not sure of either how likely that scenario is for it to be designed around, nor for that matter whether it would be a sufficient fix if something were to somehow get jammed in there.

In any case it's good for some of the accessories that don't fit in the cabin with the crew—I'm using the clips to hold MK's staff and Mei's sword, and it would fit the spring shooter ammo as well.

Just a follow-up on this—I asked the designer (Chris Perron) about it on Facebook, and he confirmed that it was indeed a failsafe for if a kid put something other than the rover in the cargo area to keep it from getting jammed in the shut position.

7 hours ago, Lyichir said:

a part of me was hoping that given Mei's apparent key role in the story (wielding all three Samadhi Fire Rings in the Macaque mech set) we might finally get a larger set for her, like a mech or dragon.

I finally built the dragon from the Ninjago movie theme that I've had sitting around for years so Mei could ride her Great x 1000 Grandad into battle against the baddies. Link to the pic below, picture quality isn't great, but you get the idea lol.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30580957@N04/51826095252/in/dateposted-public/

Edited by Killian

10 hours ago, Lyichir said:

a part of me was hoping that given Mei's apparent key role in the story (wielding all three Samadhi Fire Rings in the Macaque mech set) we might finally get a larger set for her, like a mech or dragon.

I'm gonna try doing my combo build idea between Mei's Horse Dragon Jet and Zane's Titan Mech in LDD

Though I might also throw in Mei's car as well. As I had an idea of a Mech dragon that could transform into a robot form.

I have to say I really wish Nezha's Fire Ring didn't include the side builds. I think the main build is really interesting but I don't really care much for the other parts, and I don't think I can justify spending the retail price for just the ring. Maybe I'll see if I can just buy the ring on its own for a reasonable price.

Just finished moon cake factory set, very fun build and some cool pieces.

The rabbit mech is very interesting , and the hidden storage for ammo is clever, but those large 4x4x2 domes don't allow anything inside :

6337516.jpg

My main issue would be clear backed stickers, but this time for their (lack of) opacity having the brick colors showing through the azure and orange backgrounds, but the sticker designs themselves are nice.

Set being $70 in US might feel overpriced though, sure it has 600 pieces but a lot of small ones (about 40+ spare small bits) , €50 is a little bit better considering the rarer parts and figs.

Chang'e one of my favorite figs for this year.

Edited by TeriXeri

11 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Set being $70 in US might feel overpriced though, sure it has 600 pieces but a lot of small ones (about 40+ spare small bits) , €50 is a little bit better considering the rarer parts and figs.

Chang'e one of my favorite figs for this year.

Oof, yeah...I just checked the Cloud Roadster, which is also $70. It comes with 5 minifigs & 659 pieces. This theme has a number of sets that give the feeling of being overpriced. I sucks because this is such a great theme & it makes it tougher to buy them all all, or even just the ones you want. Nonetheless, the Moon Factory is a fun looking set & Chang’e is one cool minifig. 

The polybag appears to no longer be active for Lego shop at home for the US. Dunno if it's a stock thing or even it's the case across stores in the country, but if you order anything online right now there aren't any active promos.

So the new season of the show is out in China! There's a couple things that show up that feel almost certain to show up in the summer, and a few more that may or may not. I'm not going to spoil the overall plot (heck, since it's only in Chinese so far there's a couple plot points I'm not yet clear on myself), but I do want to discuss the possibilities of future sets, so if you want to be totally spoiler-free, don't click below:

Spoiler

The thing that most screams "I'm a set!" is the new main vehicle for MK's team, a huge van-type vehicle piled with containers including a large Mo-shaped one. In the show it's built from the Dronecopter wreckage, but it's distinct enough and prominent enough (throughout multiple episodes and the new show intro) that it's almost certainly a set design.

Numerous new locations appear, including the Demon Bull Family's palace, the undersea palace of one of the Dragon Kings (I think the East Sea? But it's not in English yet so don't quote me on that), the desert palace of the Scorpion Demoness, and Chang'e's larger palace complex on the moon. It's a little hard to judge which of these is more or less likely to appear in a set. The Demon Bull Family's palace would probably be easiest to base a set around since its characters have established appearances including molds for things like their hairpieces, and since they remain major characters in the show's story it would make sense to include a set with them now that the first year's sets are mostly retired. I do hope we at least get figs of characters like the Scorpion Demoness and Dragon King at some point, though.

Monkey King's original Journey to the West companions also appear in the new intro as well as several flashbacks. It's not totally clear whether or not they'll ever appear in sets, but having "canon" appearances nailed down makes it feel more likely.

35 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

So the new season of the show is out in China! There's a couple things that show up that feel almost certain to show up in the summer, and a few more that may or may not. I'm not going to spoil the overall plot (heck, since it's only in Chinese so far there's a couple plot points I'm not yet clear on myself), but I do want to discuss the possibilities of future sets, so if you want to be totally spoiler-free, don't click below:

Hide contents

The thing that most screams "I'm a set!" is the new main vehicle for MK's team, a huge van-type vehicle piled with containers including a large Mo-shaped one. In the show it's built from the Dronecopter wreckage, but it's distinct enough and prominent enough (throughout multiple episodes and the new show intro) that it's almost certainly a set design.

Numerous new locations appear, including the Demon Bull Family's palace, the undersea palace of one of the Dragon Kings (I think the East Sea? But it's not in English yet so don't quote me on that), the desert palace of the Scorpion Demoness, and Chang'e's larger palace complex on the moon. It's a little hard to judge which of these is more or less likely to appear in a set. The Demon Bull Family's palace would probably be easiest to base a set around since its characters have established appearances including molds for things like their hairpieces, and since they remain major characters in the show's story it would make sense to include a set with them now that the first year's sets are mostly retired. I do hope we at least get figs of characters like the Scorpion Demoness and Dragon King at some point, though.

Monkey King's original Journey to the West companions also appear in the new intro as well as several flashbacks. It's not totally clear whether or not they'll ever appear in sets, but having "canon" appearances nailed down makes it feel more likely.

The new intro looks amazing!!!   

Spoiler

I hope the Bull Family Palace comes out as a set, that Mo Truck looks like it'll be an amazing set. It looks like the Dragon has a human form and maybe a Dragon Mech? The cartoon version of Maqaque's mech is awesome! I'm curious about the aquatic looking villain, there are a few aquatic demons in the original Journey To The West, so I assume it's one of them? Good to see MK in the more recent outfit from the sets.

Now I just need to figure out how to watch the Chinese version of the show with english subtitles before it comes out in the english dub

On 1/20/2022 at 6:41 PM, Killian said:

The new intro looks amazing!!!   

Hide contents

I hope the Bull Family Palace comes out as a set, that Mo Truck looks like it'll be an amazing set. It looks like the Dragon has a human form and maybe a Dragon Mech? The cartoon version of Maqaque's mech is awesome! I'm curious about the aquatic looking villain, there are a few aquatic demons in the original Journey To The West, so I assume it's one of them? Good to see MK in the more recent outfit from the sets.

Now I just need to figure out how to watch the Chinese version of the show with english subtitles before it comes out in the english dub

According to a fan-subbed copy of that episode that aquatic villain is apparently meant to be

Spoiler

the King of Spiritual Touch. I'll be curious to see if he appears in the summer sets—most antagonists from the original Journey to the West who have appeared in the show have been introduced to the sets as well, at least up to this point. I'm not totally sure what a physical version of him would look like, though, since he's similar to a minifigure but different enough that existing molds might not suffice. Maybe he could be a single-piece molded figure like Baby Groot? As a more minor antagonist, if he does appear I expect it'll be alongside something like the larger hero vehicle, sort of like how Jin and Yin appeared in the Cloud Roadster set originally.

I'd also be similarly curious to see whether the Scorpion Demoness will appear in sets. Her palace is a more minor location so again I wouldn't be surprised if she and/or it were included at most as a smaller side build to some sort of vehicle set. It's also possible that some of the more minor demons from this new season could have a larger role later on, like how Spider Queen started as a minor villain before becoming the main antagonist in most of last year's sets.

.EDIT: added a bit more set speculation to my post (under spoilers).

Edited by Lyichir

Just finished building the Mooncake Factory and the Galactic Explorer.  They're both great -- I like the original Space Police vibes of the red-tinted spacecraft -- but the factory is my favorite.  It's adorable to imagine these tiny bunnies piloting enormous mechs and running an interplanetary factory network.  And now I have a use for those "Hares of Havoc" torsos that I'd collected from Hidden Side.  I am half-tempted to take a brief Nexo break and create a larger factory vignette for the rabbits.

On 1/21/2022 at 8:42 PM, Lyichir said:

According to a fan-subbed copy of that episode that aquatic villain is apparently meant to be

Hide contents

the King of Spiritual Touch. I'll be curious to see if he appears in the summer sets—most antagonists from the original Journey to the West who have appeared in the show have been introduced to the sets as well, at least up to this point. I'm not totally sure what a physical version of him would look like, though, since he's similar to a minifigure but different enough that existing molds might not suffice. Maybe he could be a single-piece molded figure like Baby Groot? As a more minor antagonist, if he does appear I expect it'll be alongside something like the larger hero vehicle, sort of like how Jin and Yin appeared in the Cloud Roadster set originally.

I'd also be similarly curious to see whether the Scorpion Demoness will appear in sets. Her palace is a more minor location so again I wouldn't be surprised if she and/or it were included at most as a smaller side build to some sort of vehicle set. It's also possible that some of the more minor demons from this new season could have a larger role later on, like how Spider Queen started as a minor villain before becoming the main antagonist in most of last year's sets.

.EDIT: added a bit more set speculation to my post (under spoilers).

Oh, Cool.

Where are people watching season 3?

59 minutes ago, Killian said:

Oh, Cool.

Where are people watching season 3?

There's a couple of google drives about, I dont have any to hand at the moment and there are episodes on YouTube. shouldn't be too hard to find. as for my thoughts on season 3:

Spoiler

This is incredible, by far the best season to date. Some things feel a little forced, such as the moon expedition, and macaque being around, but over all I loved it. It had a cohesive plot and the ending was simply incredible. I loved the fact that Mei is getting more focus and the locations are incredible. Bull family palace, city of lanterns and the moon factory where great places to see. Also the fact that it ends on a clip hanger and means that we will have another season/special is great! 

The sets: Lets get the elephant in the room out of the way. Sandy's van. Technically we did get it, as we got the galactic explorer, but I think its safe to say that its almost certainly gonna be a summer set. I cant wait, as I absolutely love the van. The city of lanterns as pretty good, with the pig monorail and the lanterns, but thats about it. I kinda wish that there was some more mountain terrain throughout the set build, but as sets go, its pretty phenomenal. Just wish we got sun wukong in his jumper.

The macaque mech was alright, I love the idea that it is built around the shadow monster, and I like the inclusion of the speeder from the fire ring in the first episode. Speaking of which, Nezzas fire ring looked great, though we only saw it for a short time. I like how the 2 rings can split off from the vehicle. The moon cake factory was alright, the bunny mech was pretty well represented. Finally, the Mei car. Being my least favourite set from the wave, I was hoping that the show may save it. It didn't. Its just a redo of red sons trike from the inferno truck, and sticks around for about 20 seconds before rebuilt into the trike. Shout out to the monkie kids staff creations, the exclusive MK makes an appearance for about a second.

As for whats next, show wise, we already know. In the fire ring set we see an armoured up MK with Nezza fighting macaque and LBD with Monkie king in a cage. As this didn't happen in the show, its safe to assume that it will happen in the next season/special. I suppose we will see Mei with all 3 fire rings as well. As for the ending, I hope we see Mei go rogue for a bit, training with Red son and growing close, and then will obviously take down LBD and get back with the team. Set wise, we usually get 3 sets in the second wave. We can assume one is the van, so maybe a bull palace and maybe a "rescue from scorpion demoness" type set. Not sure what else they could do unless it ties into the next instalment. 

One last note, the music was pretty good. Unlike other seasons I couldn't really pull out many tracks, but im sure that will change when the English version comes out. The only one I can really get is at the end of the first episode, where MK's "sacrifice" causes the drone to flip sideways. Unfortunately flying bark have ignored my emails asking about the MK OST :hmpf_bad:

Overall, I think this is the most solid instalment of sets and show MK has ever had. Its an incredible story with lots of character development and fun scenes, and I cant wait to see how it goes on!

6 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Here's a link to somebody who's collecting all the fansubbed episodes so far: https://twitter.com/Johnny5Toon/status/1485365045055963140

Thanks, just watched all except the Chang'E episode. It was all so epic! It was interesting how they handled Mei's connection to the True Fire of Samhadi as seen in set 80033 and it was great to see Macaque's mech in action.

Spoiler

Based on how most of the heroes had deja vu on the mountain, and how the Golden Cicada appeared to Tang, it seems the heroes being reincarnations or descendants of the original Journey To The West crew has been canonically established. I'm not sure how I feel about Macaque being controlled by LBD, I feel he works better as an agent of chaos messing with Sun Wukong for his own vengeful trickster agenda rather than being a lackey, but I'm excited to see where his character goes in the future. Well, assuming we see him again.

I liked how Sun Wukong's past mistakes and inability to trust his team with the full information bit him in his monkey butt. They're obviously setting up for the events of set 80034 with The Monkey King going to challenge LBD and needing rescuing by MK and Nezha. It looks like Red Son will perhaps embrace his heroic tendencies.

I hope we get a set of the Demon Bull Palace in a similar scale to set 70323, and I'm excited to see how Sandy's van translates into a set. 

I'd like to see the Scorpion Demoness appear in a set, though I don't know what side build it should come with, hopefully it will have a Tang Minifig with his signature outfit. It'd be a cool way to get that version of Tang cheaply compared to the bigger set he features in.

I hope the Chang'E episode gets subtitled soon 

Forgot to mention one other thing from the new season that I think might be likely to show up in a set...

Spoiler

That dragon/turtle mech/creature that serves Ao Guang, the Dragon King of the East Sea, as seen in episode 2 of the new season. The main reasons I think it might be likely to appear as a set are that it seems to have some particularly set-like features (including what looks like maybe missile launchers on its shell), and that like the new team vehicle it appears conspicuously in the new Season 3 opening credits (despite its small overall role in the season as a whole, compared to Macaque's mech or the new team vehicle which both appear in multiple episodes). If it's a set, that also might be an good sign that Ao Guang himself will appear alongside it, and possibly some scenery from his undersea palace as well. If we're REALLY lucky, it might even include Mei in her fancy dragon robes from that episode!

I think it might be based on one of these? I'm not one hundred percent certain, though, since despite appearing prominently I don't think the episode names it or gives much context to its role beyond it guarding the undersea palace on behalf of Ao Guang.

On 1/24/2022 at 9:22 PM, Takanuinuva said:

Is there a link to episode 7? I don't mind if it isn't subbed. I just don't wanna miss anything from it

Found it on youtube today, even without the subtitles it was pretty easy to follow. 

Spoiler

And Minifig Sandy is canon :laugh:

2 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I’m not following this thread real close but do we know which sets will reach EOL this year?

Do we have a list like that for basically any theme? I could be wrong but I think it's a little too early in the year for that kind of info to be available yet.

If I had to guess, I'd expect a lot of last year's sets (especially the 1HY sets) to get retired at the end of the year, much like how most of the 2020 sets retired at the end of 2021. If there's one likely exception among the 1HY 2021 sets it'd probably be 80024 Flower Fruit Mountain, which is a big "flagship" model that's more focused on the Monkey King legends themselves instead of an earlier story arc or villain faction. The remaining 2020 sets (80008, 80012, and 80013) might be likely to go as well—they've held out longer than the rest of the sets from that year, but with all three including the now retired color Trans. Fluorescent Reddish Orange, they aren't likely to stick around forever.