Anonknee Muss

LEGO Monkie Kid 2022

I don't get why Lego isn't releasing it in western markets, the show is actually great. Perhaps it's because of the prices, dunno. 

5 minutes ago, Mr No said:

I don't get why Lego isn't releasing it in western markets, the show is actually great. Perhaps it's because of the prices, dunno. 

Another possible reason for the limited release through LEGO Shops in many parts of the world and other stores in China is the poor timing of the release, with the virus (which originated in China) causing a worldwide pandemic, which started in late 2019 and everything...some countries still have a shaky political relationship with China, which those countries had for decades...

Also, the sets feel like a poor man's version of Ninjago to some LEGO fans (but not me!)...

39 minutes ago, Justin said:

Another possible reason for the limited release through LEGO Shops in many parts of the world and other stores in China is the poor timing of the release, with the virus (which originated in China) causing a worldwide pandemic, which started in late 2019 and everything...some countries still have a shaky political relationship with China, which those countries had for decades...

Also, the sets feel like a poor man's version of Ninjago to some LEGO fans (but not me!)...

*rich mans ninjago* 

Seriously some of these prices are beyond me. Though they are getting better.

Edited by a guy from somewhere

5 minutes ago, a guy from somewhere said:

*rich mans ninjago*

Oops! I meant to say that! Poor man's Ninjago would've been the 1998/1999 LEGO Ninja theme...

Edited by Justin

17 hours ago, Lady Bone Demon said:

Really disappointed to learn that the smaller Lego stores aren't getting Monkie Kid sets. Like I dunno what's going on with LEGO's strategy with this theme- it's such a weird half-measure. Like yes, these sets aren't designed for a western market, but there's gotta be a better way to do things than how they've been recently. The fact they can't reserve even a little space is bizarre and really speaks to a lack of greater confidence with the theme. Like I'm glad we're getting them at ALL, to be clear, but the fact it's such a hassle is annoying.

At least I got that sweet polybag. It's an incredible polybag- the pieces you get with is insane for a little bag. Two skeletons with swords! Golden ingot pieces in that really good lacquered gold color! Three teal coral pieces! A whole chest and two crabs! Like they didn't need to go this hard but I appreciate it. I ordered some of this current wave off LEGO.com but I was really hoping to get City of Lanterns today. Ah well. I knew I shouldn't have waited until the tenth. 

Yep...it sucks not seeing these on store shelves. I’m just glad to finally see this theme in the catalog! It’s a step in the right direction. 

9 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

*rich mans ninjago* 

Seriously some of these prices are beyond me. Though they are getting better.

I was very shocked to see the price of City of Lanterns. When I first saw it I expected a way higher price & was bummed...but then I saw the price. After questioning whether it was a typo far too long it showed up on S@H with that price & I was overjoyed. 

For the price, the LEGO Monkie Kid City of Lanterns building set does not fail...I love it! An entire city in a box (with its own mode of transportation) which is from a theme based on a modern sequel to the ancient Chinese story Journey to the West, a set not quite as expensive (or on the same level) as Ninjago City, but with the target demographic of China in mind. At least when compared to the previous waves' biggest, most expensive sets, it does not break the bank as much. There are some bigger $200 sets in the whole line that break the bank...

Added City of Lanterns to Ninjago City

Here’s my take on integrating City of Lanterns with Ninjago City. It’s way too squished because it sits in the corner of my LEGO room between my tables & the wall. The edge where it & the left side of the Docks sit is the side that butts up to the wall, so I can’t have the supports hang over the baseplates. I’m pretty happy with it. 

46 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

Added City of Lanterns to Ninjago City

Here’s my take on integrating City of Lanterns with Ninjago City. It’s way too squished because it sits in the corner of my LEGO room between my tables & the wall. The edge where it & the left side of the Docks sit is the side that butts up to the wall, so I can’t have the supports hang over the baseplates. I’m pretty happy with it. 

Looks amazing!   :wub:

I wonder if we'll ever see a monthly Monkie Kid magazine with minifigs as free gifts like they do with Ninjago etc...

I'm just watching season 1 episode 9 and thinking it'd be cool if they made Monkie Kid versions of the recent Ninjago Epic Battle Sets.

They could do one with MK vs Macaque or a Shadow Monkey, where MK has the purple eyes and the evil Macaque symbol on his torso print. That'd be a fun MK variant. There could be a mini build of the shadow puppet theatre from season 2.

Not sure what else they could do... Maybe Sandy Vs Huntsman with a mini forest build and an animal or 2..

Maybe Tang with Jin or Yin and a little library build with a collapsing bookshelf feature to squish the demon since Tang isn't a fighter... 

I dunno, just brainstorming :cry_happy:

3 hours ago, Killian said:

I'm just watching season 1 episode 9 and thinking it'd be cool if they made Monkie Kid versions of the recent Ninjago Epic Battle Sets.

They could do one with MK vs Macaque or a Shadow Monkey, where MK has the purple eyes and the evil Macaque symbol on his torso print. That'd be a fun MK variant. There could be a mini build of the shadow puppet theatre from season 2.

Not sure what else they could do... Maybe Sandy Vs Huntsman with a mini forest build and an animal or 2..

Maybe Tang with Jin or Yin and a little library build with a collapsing bookshelf feature to squish the demon since Tang isn't a fighter... 

I dunno, just brainstorming :cry_happy:

I like that idea a lot, it'd be a nice way to get some of the main characters for cheap if you happen to be missing them still. And more broadly speaking this theme could certainly do with a more inexpensive set options, so something like the Epic Battles (or really any of Ninjago's past $10 impulse-buy/gimmick series) would be nice to see.

1 hour ago, Meadius said:

I like that idea a lot, it'd be a nice way to get some of the main characters for cheap if you happen to be missing them still. And more broadly speaking this theme could certainly do with a more inexpensive set options, so something like the Epic Battles (or really any of Ninjago's past $10 impulse-buy/gimmick series) would be nice to see.

The new GwP polybag shows that small sets can still be very nice, but on the other hand it seems those more limited polybag promos seem more "generous" compared to main retail polybags.

Monkie Kid, 2 skeletons with weapons, gold laquered items (2 large hilts 4 ingots), 2 crab, coral parts, vines, coral flowers, etc very good polybag.

Edited by TeriXeri

I've ordered Macaque's Mech and the Chang'e moon cake factory.

Since they parodied Food Wars in season 2, I really hope there's a scene in season 3 where they parody Sailor Moon when Pigsy steals the moon cakes from Chang'e. I'm imagining her yelling "In the name of the Moon, I will punish you!" :iamded_lol:

3 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

The new GwP polybag shows that small sets can still be very nice, but on the other hand it seems those more limited polybag promos seem more "generous" compared to main retail polybags.

Monkie Kid, 2 skeletons with weapons, gold laquered items (2 large hilts 4 ingots), 2 crab, coral parts, vines, coral flowers, etc very good polybag.

I dunno, I think whether it's "better" than other polybags is a little subjective. On the one hand, if you're looking at it purely from a desirable parts perspective, it seems fairly generous. On the other... you can definitely tell that the generosity with things like figures has cut down a bit on the actual amount of building it involves (compared to something like a figless Creator polybag or Star Wars microbuild, or even a single-fig City polybag).

A part of me can't help but hope that there's another, larger set down the line that features this underwater setting, because I'm a sucker for underwater settings and apart from the sea scooter, the MK fig, and the staff, there's not much about this poly that feels distinctly "Monkie Kid". A bigger set with a more detailed location build and/or a submarine or similar aquatic vehicle could be great. Maybe they could even make it a "water adventure" for Sandy!

29 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

A part of me can't help but hope that there's another, larger set down the line that features this underwater setting, because I'm a sucker for underwater settings and apart from the sea scooter, the MK fig, and the staff, there's not much about this poly that feels distinctly "Monkie Kid". A bigger set with a more detailed location build and/or a submarine or similar aquatic vehicle could be great. Maybe they could even make it a "water adventure" for Sandy!

If no MK underwater theme happens, could be fun to add some submarine styling to the Galactic Explorer, it at least has the colors and shaping for it imo.

Simple mod would be adding the 2020 yellow propeller pods from City submarine to the teal engines, and the larger prop from the City underwater base to the main engine. 

There's also supposed to be a 3-in-1 Submarine later this year.

(I don't have Hydro Bounty but do have the parts from those City sets)

However, I'm still interested to see where this theme will go, the combination of Explorer and Moon Cake sets (as in full team of astronauts, and a launch+destination, and cool builds) are just my favorite sets of this theme so far.

Even while I do love the small modular shops from the City of Lanterns too.

Edited by TeriXeri

I'm sad that polybag is a GwP and not for regular purchase. The minifigure and parts are so good, but I'm not interested enough in any Ninjago or MK sets to meet the threshold - which here is Aus is $109, even though it's only $40 in the US!!

Just finished the Galactic Explorer, fantastic set.

There are things that could be modded, but there's a lot of potential to fit more passengers or different cargo.

Clear backed stickers are the main annoying part, but I can understand why they were used.

Edited by TeriXeri

4 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Clear backed stickers are the main annoying part, but I can understand why they were used.

I dislike how easy it is to get fingerprints on the clear stickers. I always use tweezers to apply them now.

I haven't really figured out why there's the hole in the bottom on the Galactic Explorer, the little car is too wide to fit through, there are some clips that can hold stuff (staff/ammo) but seems odd just for that.

Dropping figures or smaller cargo (Moon Cake boxes from the other set for example) still works if you load them in first though.

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I haven't really figured out why there's the hole in the bottom on the Galactic Explorer, the little car is too wide to fit through, there are some clips that can hold stuff (staff/ammo) but seems odd just for that.

Dropping figures or smaller cargo (Moon Cake boxes from the other set for example) still works if you load them in first though.

I'm not 100% sure of why the hole is there either, to be honest. A part of me thinks maybe it's there in case you put something loose in the cargo area (instead of the rover) and it jammed the rotation feature when you closed it up, so that instead it could either fall free or get pried out without major disassembly? But I'm not sure of either how likely that scenario is for it to be designed around, nor for that matter whether it would be a sufficient fix if something were to somehow get jammed in there.

In any case it's good for some of the accessories that don't fit in the cabin with the crew—I'm using the clips to hold MK's staff and Mei's sword, and it would fit the spring shooter ammo as well.

I like the references to LEGO themes of the past, including Znap, as well as the Adventurers, Paradisa, Classic Space, etc. sets inside the LEGO store, with the branding of the elevated train being a nod to the Airport Shuttle monorail set. It's similar to the Galidor reference they dropped in Ninjago City...

On 1/13/2022 at 9:31 PM, Clone OPatra said:

I'm sad that polybag is a GwP and not for regular purchase. The minifigure and parts are so good, but I'm not interested enough in any Ninjago or MK sets to meet the threshold - which here is Aus is $109, even though it's only $40 in the US!!

This exactly.  I was going to buy fifteen of these before I found out it was a GwP.

Figured I'd share my current progress planning out an expanded version of the City of Lanterns:

I've doubled the width of all three top-level buildings (adapting the wider Panda Store from the larger one in Red Son's Inferno Truck from the first year), and added another floor to the hotel in the middle. Expanding those three buildings allows me to have features like a checkout counter in each of the buildings while making use of some of the parts I'd have from a second copy of the set.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the three remaining 8x8 modules on the lower level. Neither of the shops from the original set really feel desperately in need of expanding, so I'm trying instead to come up with some other two-story facilities that can fit the space and leave room on the "roof" for a sidewalk extension for the upper level (like the hot pot restaurant has). Some of my current concepts for that space include a bank inspired by the Brick Bank modular and a version of the Anti-Gravity Arcade from the Lion Guardian set adapted to work with the modular format.

On 1/11/2022 at 6:40 AM, Mr No said:

LEGO released both the show and the sets exclusively on Amazon in the USA. 

Trying to understand LEGO's 'logic' for things will just give us a headache.

I wonder if Monkie Kid is going underwater in the summer wave and if we get the scorpion bad guy in the summer or 2023.