Anonknee Muss

LEGO Monkie Kid 2022

32 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

The set with the 3 smaller models shows the new stud shooter shooting a 1x1 tile, I like that it can shoot both studs and tiles, gives a good reason for redesign.

(the 3-tile-shooter-flick-fire shooter introduced with City Fire 2019 wasn't great)

City of Lanterns also makes me even more excited how the 3-in-1 Noodle Shop set will look (summer 2022)

3 in 1 noodle shop???? did I miss something? have we already got summer set names?!

56 minutes ago, Maple said:

It's hard to compare sets from one year to the next. I feel MK sets are better values with each year. The first wave was really bad with the prices. I figured the City would be $180 as that would seem to be the normal MK pricepoint.

Plus there is that horrible City Hall set that's $200 and this looks a lot more filling for $50 less.

They’ve been a bit of a hedge podge. I felt the Warrior Mech was fair at $150, especially after I built it. But Mei’s Dragon Bike was overpriced. My guess for the better & better prices is TLG saw the complaints/lack of sales may have factored in. 

It's nice that the Galactic Explorer has the longer roller coaster tracks in teal, so you can extend the train on The City of Lanterns. A great opportunity to MOC with the Ninjago City sets and really integrate them.

Oops. Didn't realize that the long roller coaster piece already comes with The City of Lanterns. But as a cover for the station.

I was just thinking, seeing how fantastic this wave is only bumps this theme up on my list of great themes. And it saddens me at the same time. I can’t understand what TLG is doing with it. It wasn’t even in the latest catalog & can’t find it in LEGO stores. I was hoping it would show up in Target since they’re getting more & more exclusives. But that doesn’t seem like it’s gonna happen now. It’s such a bummer. 

Ok! I must say that I absolutely love the Monkey Kid sets so far. They seem like they'd fit very well on a table town. I wish I had a table to put my town on. 

I especially love the City of Lanterns set. 

Edited by Poodabricks

16 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

3 in 1 noodle shop???? did I miss something? have we already got summer set names?!

Viking Ship , Submarine, and Noodle Shop were listed as sets for 3-in-1, but without price/piece counts or March release dates,  so I assume June at the earliest.

Both 31097: Townhouse Pet Shop & Café and 31105: Townhouse Toy Store are retiring, so I assume that Noodle shop will be about the size of 31097.

Edited by TeriXeri

Huh... I just noticed what I think is a new joint piece in the Macaque mech for both the shoulders and hips? It seems to be a part that attaches to one of these on the legs/arms and two of these that connect it to the torso.

It seems like a pretty useful piece for mechs. Most modern large mech sets used those parts for the hip joints anyway, but the additional parts necessary to make them work together weren't necessarily ideal—while sturdy, the length of the AT-AT joint restricted rotation and the Knight's Kingdom joints had to have the 2x2 "block" section connected on each side, forcing a somewhat wide stance. These new joints seem like they'll allow full rotation (allowing them to be used for shoulders as well as hips), and allow the Technic pin ends of the Knight's Kingdom joints to snap directly to the torso.

39 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Huh... I just noticed what I think is a new joint piece in the Macaque mech for both the shoulders and hips? It seems to be a part that attaches to one of these on the legs/arms and two of these that connect it to the torso.

It seems like a pretty useful piece for mechs. Most modern large mech sets used those parts for the hip joints anyway, but the additional parts necessary to make them work together weren't necessarily ideal—while sturdy, the length of the AT-AT joint restricted rotation and the Knight's Kingdom joints had to have the 2x2 "block" section connected on each side, forcing a somewhat wide stance. These new joints seem like they'll allow full rotation (allowing them to be used for shoulders as well as hips), and allow the Technic pin ends of the Knight's Kingdom joints to snap directly to the torso.

Very good eye. Something new is going on those joints, I'm not sure what. Makes a lot of sense to improve mech joint pieces with LEGO making so many mechs.

And as a 90s child, I would have died for a LEGO mech (and roller coaster).

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Honestly the most interesting part of the set is the Mei fig. After taking quite the back seat in season 2 it seems like she may actually be the focus of this season/chapter. She appears to be wielding all 3 rings, and using crystals ninjago style. It also looks like this isn't really a mech, more of a giant form of macaque or a robot version, as there doesn't look like there's anywhere to put him. Over all this wave is a mixed bag for me. Obvious highlights are the city of lanterns, the evil mech and the galactic explorer, but I'm not really a fan of the moon cake factory and the fire ring. The dragon car is fine, but im not a fan of the head at the front. Everything else though is amazing. The value across the wave is also pretty good from a UK standpoint, the city of lanterns especially. Honestly I saw a set like the city coming. The success of the Ninjago City lines, paired with the amazing feedback of the buildings from wave one basically made this set a lock at some point, and putting a bunch of them in a massive set either to hike the price or make it easier to get them all is an interesting move. I'm not complaining, just an observation. personally I think the figs are the highlight of this entire wave. There's arm printing galore! Rumble and Savage, the 2 shadow monkey minions look great, MK from the dragon car and evil mech looks sick, its nice to have a clip on the back for the staff and I love the apocalypse like look he's going for, sandy as a minifig looks fine, I love his weapon.

Macaque looks awesome with his 6 ears, space crew look fine (good to see the tang man back!), Chang'e looks good as a moon goddess I think, Nezha looks pretty good as a minifig and I get that rings are his thing and all but I really dont like his little stand with the 2 rings on it, I may change that as he just looks like hes riding around on a Segway (no doubt that will be a joke in the cartoon), and really im not a fan of his mono wheel vehicle, and I think it will look a lot better without the ring, with it just being like a large hover craft type thing. The MK figure in this set is quite possibly my favourite, I love the armour and the visor! It looks amazing, and it's interesting to see that LBD is back. Mei is probably my least favourite fig out of this entire wave, apart from the evil Macaque mech version, just because im still getting used to the neon colour and there isn't any armour or helmet on her normal figure. I'm fine with it, but I just prefer the other figs. MK in the city of lanterns set though is something else........

I'm looking forward to getting the LEGO Monkie Kid City of Lanterns set. It's about half as expensive than Ninjago's attempt at a "city" LEGO set in their Ninjago City set, plus the City of Lanterns includes an elevated train in addition to a few tiny "modular" stores and restaurants...it has that really cool "Chinatown" aesthetic about it...

4 hours ago, Justin said:

I'm looking forward to getting the LEGO Monkie Kid City of Lanterns set. It's about half as expensive than Ninjago's attempt at a "city" LEGO set in their Ninjago City set, plus the City of Lanterns includes an elevated train in addition to a few tiny "modular" stores and restaurants...it has that really cool "Chinatown" aesthetic about it...

It is pretty neat, and I love that it uses the same style of pin connections as the buildings and scenery in 80011 and 80012. Of course, these buildings differ from those earlier ones in that the individual stories are all of uniform height (7 bricks tall) and can be separated and rearranged similarly to the "mini-modular" style in many Friends and Creator 3-in-1 sets. This should allow for a lot more mix-and-match potential, especially if LEGO continues to maintain those standards in future Monkie Kid sets.

I'll be honest, besides the City of Lights, none of the new Monkie Kid sets catch my attention. It just kind of feels like more of the same of we already got. The villains are exactly the same we've been getting for the past few waves, and it feels like there isn't much variety. The hero stuff is exactly the same, only now they have Space rockets too. I appreciate the attempt to spice things up with the space stuff, but those aesthetics don't really mash together that well in my opinion. 

Overall, an easily forgettable wave, the only legitimately good set is definitely the City of course. I appreciate how the designers added the same amount of references to past LEGO themes as with the Ninjago City sets... There's some awesome sticker references to Hero Factory, Bionicle, Znap, and the LEGO Store section contains stickers representing vintage sets from the 80's and 90's! I don't think I'll end up getting the whole set, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for a copy of the sticker sheet of this set. 

That Polybag looks like amazing value for what it offers, 1 fig, 2 skeleton, 2 crab, 3 underwater plants, treasure chest with ingots, and equipment

Battlepack in a Polybag.

Edited by TeriXeri

10 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

That Polybag looks like amazing value for what it offers, 1 fig, 2 skeleton, 2 crab, 3 underwater plants, treasure chest with ingots, and equipment

l'll definitely be picking up that polybag if I can find it! Though I worry it may not be available in any of my local LEGO stores due to the recent news that Monkie Kid is being pull down from them.

4 hours ago, Lego David said:

l'll definitely be picking up that polybag if I can find it! Though I worry it may not be available in any of my local LEGO stores due to the recent news that Monkie Kid is being pull down from them.

The polybag is easy enough to ship for pretty cheap if you can't find it.

It's interesting that the best MK sets of 2022 right now are the most expensive and the cheapest. Also interesting that he's underwater when none of the other sets ever have been. Maybe a summer underwater theme? Moon before oceans?

Does anyone know if there’s anyway to get ahold of the monkie kid OST? I know this is specifically for sets however I love the show and the music is particularly incredible (the delivery soundtrack, DBK face off,  spider queens defeat, and the escape from lady bone demon to name a few) and I would love to be able to find it. It gets annoying having to go back to the show even when some parts of it you can’t even watch. Thinking about emailing Lego customer services to see if they can point me in the right direction as I’d love to find it. I think we can all agree MK doesn’t get the love it deserves.

Don't get me wrong, I am enthused about the City of Lanterns set and really like some of the Easter eggs in there. However I just can't seem to shake the juniors vibe I'm getting from some aspects of the build, I wish it was a little less dumbed down.

7 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

Does anyone know if there’s anyway to get ahold of the monkie kid OST? I know this is specifically for sets however I love the show and the music is particularly incredible (the delivery soundtrack, DBK face off,  spider queens defeat, and the escape from lady bone demon to name a few) and I would love to be able to find it. It gets annoying having to go back to the show even when some parts of it you can’t even watch. Thinking about emailing Lego customer services to see if they can point me in the right direction as I’d love to find it. I think we can all agree MK doesn’t get the love it deserves.

There's been no official release of the soundtrack, unfortunately. Maybe Amazon Music would be interested in releasing it now that they have the streaming rights? Hard to say. I agree that the soundtrack is great and that an official release would be superb!

1 hour ago, flyswatter said:

Don't get me wrong, I am enthused about the City of Lanterns set and really like some of the Easter eggs in there. However I just can't seem to shake the juniors vibe I'm getting from some aspects of the build, I wish it was a little less dumbed down.

I'm not sure what aspect you get a "Juniors" vibe from? The base uses some large parts for sturdiness and the buildings are obviously simpler than you'd expect of a modular-level set, but compared to an actual Juniors set it's quite complex and detailed.

Honestly I'm glad that it uses mostly simple, small modules, as that makes it feel like it'll be easier for me to come up with custom modules to add to it. I'm hoping to modify Pigsy's Noodles from 80012 and the Anti-Gravity arcade from 80021 to make them compatible, and maybe even buy a second copy of the City of Lanterns to slot them into.

1 hour ago, flyswatter said:

What is juniors-ized; about it? The fact they have openings in the back? 

Edited by Lady Bone Demon

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

I'm not sure what aspect you get a "Juniors" vibe from? The base uses some large parts for sturdiness and the buildings are obviously simpler than you'd expect of a modular-level set, but compared to an actual Juniors set it's quite complex and detailed.

I wouldn't call it a "Juniors" vibe, but I think I kind of see where they are coming from. I think the issue just stems from the fact that it fees very inspired by Ninjago City, but obviously isn't quite on the same level in terms of detailing and complexity. It's undoubtedly a great set (possibly my favorite I've seen from 2022 thus far), but it almost seems more simple than it actually is because of the natural comparisons to the more-complex Ninjago City.

2 hours ago, Meadius said:

I wouldn't call it a "Juniors" vibe, but I think I kind of see where they are coming from. I think the issue just stems from the fact that it fees very inspired by Ninjago City, but obviously isn't quite on the same level in terms of detailing and complexity. It's undoubtedly a great set (possibly my favorite I've seen from 2022 thus far), but it almost seems more simple than it actually is because of the natural comparisons to the more-complex Ninjago City.

Yeah I think it's mostly related to some of the coloring choices and the way the train looks, not necessarily about the components or building techniques.

Personally I think we have just been so exposed to the crazy work of the ninjago city series we’ve become accustomed to it, and normal sets that would be totally amazing like the city of lanterns are over shadowed by the incredible Ninjago city range. Basically ninjago is stealing the city of lanterns thunder.