Anonknee Muss

LEGO Monkie Kid 2022

I'm glad this series continues as I'm already owning half a dozen of the sets and they are some of the best I've build in the last years. :)

4 hours ago, neithan said:

I'm glad this series continues as I'm already owning half a dozen of the sets and they are some of the best I've build in the last years. :)

Supposedly LEGO let it slip that Monkey Kid is one of the themes that will continue through at least 2023.  I'll try to find the link.

The black monkeys with red ears look great.

Edited by Maple

So monkie kid is going to space? intresting, I like the shuttle, its a shame that all the figs are I space suits. I prefer casual clothes, but hey, exclusive figs! I have to say, the shuttle itself looks great. Its massive, I love the launch tower along side it, plus the rover. As for the figs, tangs included, sandy is now a normal fig (no doubt because the big fig wouldn't fit in the shuttle. Mo is mechanical now for some reason, and the "shadow minions" as I call them are also included. Looks pretty cool! Theory time: Mk and the crew after escaping LBD flee to the west (you could say its a journey to the west), and they find an abandoned space port deep in the jungle. Macaques shadow minions presumably try to stop them from lifting off, as they attempt to go to the moon spirit (?), as in journey to the west. I cant wait!

Pretty cool build! In this regard I feel like the huge size and high price make sense. Having a cycle or flyer for 1-2 figures for 60-130 bucks is just weird in terms of functionality. But this thing really comes close to some colourful spaceship MOC's!

I love rocket ships and that one looks interesting. Also, for some reason LEGO is releasing a new shade of yellow and I'm pretty sure that's it in the shuttle. Chima yellow would have worked fine for me but whatever.

26 minutes ago, Maple said:

LEGO is releasing a new shade of yellow and I'm pretty sure that's it in the shuttle. Chima yellow would have worked fine for me but whatever.

Are you sure? It looks like regular yellow to me (with a bit of Bright Light Orange/"Chima Orange" on the wings). 🤔
I just looked at it again, and there could be a bit of the new solid neon yellow as accents, but the majority of the ship still appears to be yellow. 

Seems like everyone except wukong and pigsy come in the shuttle set. Makes sense since pigsy has a history with chang’e, who seems to be who they’re going to see in the shuttle (she’s on the moon) and wukong may be written out for a chunk of the story since all his powers may be drained. 

Sandy as a minifig is an interesting choice, and I’m loving the shuttle itself so far. It seems to fit a minimum of 4 since that’s a fairly large cockpit part at the front and at least 2 seats in the second section behind it. Possibly 5 if tang is able to stay on the buggy while it’s in the ship, although I doubt that.

wonder if mk will regain enough of his drained powers to make the shuttle, or if the shuttle will be from the same place as the dronecopter and cloud jet and we finally get some answers about those.

2 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Are you sure? It looks like regular yellow to me (with a bit of Bright Light Orange/"Chima Orange" on the wings). 🤔
I just looked at it again, and there could be a bit of the new solid neon yellow as accents, but the majority of the ship still appears to be yellow. 

Only reason I think it's a new yellow is because I watched a YouTube video that had the black and red monkeys that said there would be a brighter neon yellow color coming in 2022.

To me it's annoying because Chima yellow is lovely and I rather LEGO have more shades of grey or bring back sand red.

I always figured Ninjago would get a space wave sometime in the next couple of years, so this is kind of surprising. It's a cool set, but I don't have much interest in it. I hope we get another location set in the same vein as the Flower Fruit Mountain in this wave, but I wonder what it would even be. Maybe a temple on the moon or something?

This looks amazing! I love the aesthetic of MK's earlier vehicles so seeing that applied to an awesome-looking spaceship instantly won me over.

Sandy being a minifigure is a little odd but I get why they'd do that, since not only are costume changes harder to do for bigfigs but the entire ship would have to be designed around fitting him inside. Even so, he's still recognizable.

There's a cool-looking new energy/flame piece seen on one of the bad guys' weapons as well as in one of the build shots. Attaches with a clip sort of like the axe blade piece from Fantasy Castle. Lots of great recolors as well, especially in teal.

Is that blue color teal or dark azure? I'm thinking azure because it's the same color as Sandy. I probably should get my eyes checked. 

23 minutes ago, Maple said:

Is that blue color teal or dark azure? I'm thinking azure because it's the same color as Sandy. I probably should get my eyes checked. 

Looking at the picture Brickset posted : https://brickset.com/sets/80035-1/Galactic-Explorer

I think Sandy's head/shooter use azure parts, with the Orange/Azure color scheme from 80014: Sandy's Speedboat / 80025: Sandy's Power Loader Mech.

Also the Sandy figure hands look teal (only slightly darker then the head color) like the rest of the team spacesuits.

The Rocket and base use Teal, which would continue the Yellow/Red/Teal color scheme of Monkie Kid vehicles of 2020-2021.

Edited by TeriXeri

Thebrickfan.com has more pictures and you are right. The colors aren't changing. It's just hard to tell from the one Brickset picture and LEGO lighting of pictures is weird. It looks really amazing. Even the interior is stunning.

Ok that horizontal look, with opened interior makes it looks a LOT better set.

2 cockpits, 4 interior seats, and then extra hollow space in the red round section as well, the small vehicle will probably fit in there as with many other LEGO big Spaceships, or a holding area as space police.

The green "reactor" flame piece is pretty cool as well (also in purple for a weapon).

8 wide so it's really big as well. 

I can also see modding potential to make it more modular as a set like 6984: Galactic Mediator could split off the center section.

Edited by TeriXeri

Yeah the other pictures make it look MUCH nicer. The thing can hold so much and still looks like a strong build.

I really like the evil monkeys in the set.  The set itself looks great and has some great figs can't wait to see the rest of the wave.  

Bit odd Tv Show spoilers

Spoiler

Monkie Kid still has the Monkey King's staff. When he lost that to Lady Bone Demon. I wonder if it's just in the set for consistancy. Or if he gets another one.

1 hour ago, Takanuinuva said:

Bit odd Tv Show spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

Monkie Kid still has the Monkey King's staff. When he lost that to Lady Bone Demon. I wonder if it's just in the set for consistancy. Or if he gets another one.

Spoiler

This type of inconsistency has happened before, like how Cole's dragon from the skybound wave still uses the yellow Cole head despite the fact that other sets in the same wave used the ghost Cole head.

About the set that was revealed, I'm pretty meh on it. Don't get me wrong, it looks good, and I like the interior space it has, but it doesn't really peak my interest too much. Glad to see this wave releases January though, waiting until march this year was kind of annoying. I do want to see what's up with these evil monkeys though, they look cool. Hopefully the rest of the wave interests me more.

Edited by The_Fiery_Rooster

I'm really excited for this, the set coming out looks really good even from a blurry pic and all the new elements look really exciting if they reflect the rest of the wave. 

Not gonna lie, this feels like a super lame choice of a set to me. We started out as "a modern retelling of a classic Chinse novel" and now we get to go in Space? I am amazed that Monkie Kid is already going to space after less than three years, I honestly expected Ninjago to do that first. 

But yeah, besides the original Monkie Kid Warrior Mech, I haven't been particularly impressed by any of the good guy vehicles, and this one is no different. It just doesn't really fit with what I have come to expect from this theme, and feels like a super random choice to me. And the prospect that now Ninjago/Monkie Kid can go to space now really bugs me, because if that is the case, I know we won't be getting anymore original Space themes for good while. 

The only thing I am interested in from this set are those big trans-red cockpits. I think they're gonna be very useful for Neo-Space Police MOCs.