Megbricks

Lego colors - coming and going

4 hours ago, Maple said:

Nice to see that some people on here are just terrible people. How do I block people?

Just go to your profile and you will see “Ignore User” - you won’t see any posts and/or get messages from individuals. 

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

I get the jokes but in some cases TLG's renders have been very deceitful, like Lady Iron Dragon minifigure

Lady Iron Dragon?

20 hours ago, koalayummies said:

51755063761_6cdbf2b215.jpg

You're kind of defeating your own point, though. We live in 2021, after all. Even if you're allowing for tolerances, there are simple ways to measure and calibrate these things within reason, not have these completely whacked out (mis-)representations LEGO uses. Point in case: It would indeed be perfectly possible to get "photo lab consistent colors" and quite easily so. Just sayin'...

Mylenium

16 hours ago, Maple said:

How do I block people?

Why would you that? Ignorance may be bliss, but there's always the chance that even the biggest jerk might have something valuable to say one day that you might miss by blocking/ ignoring people. You know, people just have to get along with one another even if we don't always agree and occasionally shout at each other. I can't remember ever having blocked anyone (except for obvious scammers/ frauds/ criminals) in 25+ years of roaming forums. In fact I find it often questionable when people are so quick to use such functions and retreat even deeper into their own bubble...

Mylenium

2 hours ago, Mylenium said:

You're kind of defeating your own point, though. We live in 2021, after all. Even if you're allowing for tolerances, there are simple ways to measure and calibrate these things within reason, not have these completely whacked out (mis-)representations LEGO uses. Point in case: It would indeed be perfectly possible to get "photo lab consistent colors" and quite easily so. Just sayin'...

No the point is some of these adult fans of lego should maybe, as was suggested by others on the previous page, not let such minor things regarding this toy consume them so much. Even photographic color checker targets need to be replaced regularly so there would just be even more complaining that the bricks aren't archival-grade plastic. They will always find a fault.

On 12/16/2021 at 8:11 AM, Lyichir said:

I swear, some people let their minor grievances with Lego go completely to their heads.

Leg godt. :excited:

18 hours ago, Toastie said:

I mean - some people here apparently are ready to sue for "wrong" colors - some people here cannot care less, and just have fun with the bricks and plates.

Leg godt. :grin_wub:

16 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Leg godt. :excited:

Leg godt. :grin_wub:

Let it go.

Let it go.

For what it’s worth, I like the new colours. I’m a big fan of coral, teal, and yellows and greens generally. Think the new day-glo yellow works great with the emergency vehicles, and partnering it with teal is a great approximation of the colouring i’m used to on ambulances around me, for sure.

More to the point though - colour and how we see it is HUGELY subjective. Yes some people intrinsically don’t like some colours. Which is fine, y’know, don’t paint your bedroom that colour or whatever. But there are also massive variations in how all of us see, interpret and enjoy colours, both separately and in combinations. Then there are of course people who simply can’t deal with, or distinguish between certain colours, because of colourblindness, neurodivergence, or whatever - which makes a lot of the heated debate here a bit moot, in my opinion. It’s also a common  occurrence for colours to look different in different media and contexts. 

But hey ho, like what you like, I like the new colours. 

3 hours ago, williejm said:

Let it go.

Let it go.

For what it’s worth, I like the new colours. I’m a big fan of coral, teal, and yellows and greens generally. Think the new day-glo yellow works great with the emergency vehicles, and partnering it with teal is a great approximation of the colouring i’m used to on ambulances around me, for sure.

More to the point though - colour and how we see it is HUGELY subjective. Yes some people intrinsically don’t like some colours. Which is fine, y’know, don’t paint your bedroom that colour or whatever. But there are also massive variations in how all of us see, interpret and enjoy colours, both separately and in combinations. Then there are of course people who simply can’t deal with, or distinguish between certain colours, because of colourblindness, neurodivergence, or whatever - which makes a lot of the heated debate here a bit moot, in my opinion. It’s also a common  occurrence for colours to look different in different media and contexts. 

But hey ho, like what you like, I like the new colours. 

Cue Elsa’s well-known song “Let it goooooooo”

Anyways, word. 

10 hours ago, LegoDW said:

I hope TLG offers more bricks in the "Flesh" color as in the new Modular

Yesssss we need a good selection of these!

It is likely that we will be getting at least two more colors in addition to 368 Vibrant Yellow. There’s a site somewhere (currently down) that had ‘Medium Tan’ and ‘Medium Brown’ with IDs 370 and 371. Who knows what 369 could be? I’m not sure why they bothered with ‘Medium Brown’ if they already had 217 Brown to bring back. They look pretty similar, but I do want to compare them when this new one comes out. 

23 minutes ago, notabrick614 said:

It is likely that we will be getting at least two more colors in addition to 368 Vibrant Yellow. There’s a site somewhere (currently down) that had ‘Medium Tan’ and ‘Medium Brown’ with IDs 370 and 371. Who knows what 369 could be? I’m not sure why they bothered with ‘Medium Brown’ if they already had 217 Brown to bring back. They look pretty similar, but I do want to compare them when this new one comes out. 

If that's true then it's possible that that supposed new skin tone in one of the Harry Potter sets IS legit and not just a rendering issue.

No idea what Medium Tan is, though, or its relationship to other colors—I don't even recall if there was any previous color "officially" called tan, since earlier "tan" colors were officially Brick Yellow and Sand Yellow. If it turned out to be another new skin tone for licensed themes/Friends, it might be something intended to closer resemble a typical Chinese/Japanese skin tone (i.e. a lighter tone but less "pinkish" than Light Nougat), since the existing options Lego has opted for for characters such as Cho Chang or Shang Chi in recent years haven't always been that accurate to the on-screen actors portraying them. But of course it's equally possible that Medium Tan could be something quite different from a skin tone. Or for that matter "Medium Tan" might be the skin tone from that Harry Potter set, and Medium Brown might be a new shade of brown entirely (something a shade lighter than Reddish Brown but darker than Sand Yellow or Medium Nougat).

On 12/29/2021 at 1:47 PM, notabrick614 said:

There’s a site somewhere (currently down) that had ‘Medium Tan’ and ‘Medium Brown’ with IDs 370 and 371. Who knows what 369 could be?

That sounds awesome!!

On 12/29/2021 at 2:24 PM, Lyichir said:

Or for that matter "Medium Tan" might be the skin tone from that Harry Potter set, and Medium Brown might be a new shade of brown entirely (something a shade lighter than Reddish Brown but darker than Sand Yellow or Medium Nougat).

That would be great too. 

i just…… want….. more….. colors….

don't give me hate. All i am saying is That I personally want more colors. :)

There’s a site somewhere (currently down) that had ‘Medium Tan’ and ‘Medium Brown’ with IDs 370 and 371. Who knows what 369 could be? I’m not sure why they bothered with ‘Medium Brown’ if they already had 217 Brown to bring back. 

On 12/14/2021 at 10:00 AM, Soupperson1 said:

BC3485-FC-A491-4638-A210-E817-AD4-C0553.

The potential new shade of brown ("Medium Brown"?) looks similar to the BrickLink colour of the same name

On 12/29/2021 at 2:24 PM, Lyichir said:

No idea what Medium Tan is, though. . . If it turned out to be another new skin tone for licensed themes/Friends, it might be something intended to closer resemble a typical Chinese/Japanese skin tone (i.e. a lighter tone but less "pinkish" than Light Nougat), since the existing options Lego has opted for for characters such as Cho Chang or Shang Chi in recent years haven't always been that accurate to the on-screen actors portraying them. 

I really hope that this is what Medium Tan turns out to be - We need an accurate skin-tone for Asian characters (and characters played by Asian actors) that is not either too dark (Cho) or too light/pink (Shang-Chi). 

Comparison: 
XDyE3pMirphdFUZXjkQeHY-1024-80.jpg.webp

BL’s ‘Medium Brown’ is LEGO’s 217 Brown, introduced in 2004 and retired in 2007. I noticed that the head in that new Harry Potter set is far too similar to 217, which is why I’m beginning to question whether this new color is 217 but under a different ID, if this new color has already been scrapped and Brown is back, or if this is a new color for 2022. Guess all we can do is wait and see! 

The new yellow color is officially called vibrant yellow as per Bricks and Pieces

It is likely that we will be getting at least two more colors in addition to 368 Vibrant Yellow. There’s a site somewhere (currently down) that had ‘Medium Tan’ and ‘Medium Brown’ with IDs 370 and 371. Who knows what 369 could be? I’m not sure why

Oops just saw you had mentioned it before :)

On 12/18/2021 at 11:09 PM, DBlegonerd7 said:

Just go to your profile and you will see “Ignore User” - you won’t see any posts and/or get messages from individuals. 

Lady Iron Dragon?

Thank you. That's a weird way to do it, but it worked. I have no time to listen to LEGO cultists who defend every damn thing LEGO does. The money that LEGO cost they can, and should get things right.

On 12/19/2021 at 11:14 AM, Mylenium said:

Why would you that? Ignorance may be bliss, but there's always the chance that even the biggest jerk might have something valuable to say one day that you might miss by blocking/ ignoring people.

In my experience cult members never listen, even when faces with facts and reality. Just like several members here. If they don't want to listen to facts and reality then I have no reason or desire to listen to their ignorant opinions.

4 hours ago, Maple said:

In my experience cult members never listen, even when faces with facts and reality. Just like several members here. If they don't want to listen to facts and reality then I have no reason or desire to listen to their ignorant opinions.

*lol* Too true, unfortunately...

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium

12 hours ago, notabrick614 said:

The site is back up and running! This website contains helpful information regarding LEGO colors and also includes links to his Flickr site if you click on their names. Very helpful reference!

https://ryanhowerter.net/colors.php

I noticed that this morning (though I've been referencing an offline copy I had).  Also, couldn't help but notice this:
image.thumb.png.bd683a9e686c24f2409fee25dd54b2ef.png

13 hours ago, Maple said:

Thank you. That's a weird way to do it, but it worked. I have no time to listen to LEGO cultists who defend every damn thing LEGO does. The money that LEGO cost they can, and should get things right.

Okay, if you're going to keep going on like this and describing me as a "cultist"... should I point out that according to the inventory the 60324 Mobile Crane set that started that ridiculous argument for supposedly being "false advertising" DOES in fact use Flame Yellowish Orange for the yellow details? Meaning that the set pictures were in fact a correct depiction of the parts it contains? And that it was even more absurd to suggest Lego be sued over them?

Obviously this is going to be ignored but I may as well defend myself if you're going to slander me for daring to have some perspective.

20 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

should I point out that according to the inventory the 60324 Mobile Crane set that started that ridiculous argument for supposedly being "false advertising" DOES in fact use Flame Yellowish Orange for the yellow details? Meaning that the set pictures were in fact a correct depiction of the parts it contains? And that it was even more absurd to suggest Lego be sued over them?

Well, look at that, that crane actually was flame yellow.

I think the whole confusion over a box art vs 3d art vs product was a bit silly from my side, and in the end LEGO was actually correct, parts list will have the last word, and is why I waited for it before claiming False Advertising myself. :thumbup:

Edited by TeriXeri

On 1/2/2022 at 1:38 PM, Lyichir said:

Okay, if you're going to keep going on like this and describing me as a "cultist"... should I point out that according to the inventory the 60324 Mobile Crane set that started that ridiculous argument for supposedly being "false advertising" DOES in fact use Flame Yellowish Orange for the yellow details? Meaning that the set pictures were in fact a correct depiction of the parts it contains? And that it was even more absurd to suggest Lego be sued over them?

Obviously this is going to be ignored but I may as well defend myself if you're going to slander me for daring to have some perspective.

Just throwing this out there: Libel is a defamatory statement that is written. Slander is a defamatory statement that is oral.

Not to mention, some random person calling “you” a cultist, is not hurting your reputation or ability to make money. 

Now back to your brouhaha. 

On 12/29/2021 at 6:47 PM, notabrick614 said:

Who knows what 369 could be?

It's very possible 369 never sees the light of day. There are other gaps in the numbers, as well as colours which are known but were never included in sets; it's entirely possible that 369 was a pigment that was considered for production and maybe even made into test bricks before being passed over

3 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

It's very possible 369 never sees the light of day. There are other gaps in the numbers, as well as colours which are known but were never included in sets; it's entirely possible that 369 was a pigment that was considered for production and maybe even made into test bricks before being passed over

Some material ID numbers in Lego exist for ink colors for prints/stickers that do not have a corresponding plastic color—some examples include 332 Fluorescent Red Ink and 333 Fluorescent Green Ink. There may be others along these lines occupying some of the "unknown" gaps (such as, for example, the metallic light blue and red ink colors that have been used on various Ninjago and Chima figures, among others).

There's also the possibility that there are other recent colors that do not yet show up numbered in inventories due to only showing up in "multicombination" parts, One example is Transparent Bright Green with Glitter, which has been used in a Ninjago spinner and the geode piece from Lego City sets, but has not yet appeared on any single-colored parts.

16 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

Probably irrelevant, anyway. Unless you verifiably know the actual manufacturers production numbers or can correlate that to an existing color reference system like Pantone, FS or RAL it really doesn't mean much to most people.

Mylenium

12 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Some material ID numbers in Lego exist for ink colors for prints/stickers that do not have a corresponding plastic color

Probably even more complicated than that, as printing certain color combinations might require to compensate for degradation when fine details get overwhelmed by other colors or the occasional semi-transparent printing...

Mylenium

7 hours ago, Mylenium said:

Probably irrelevant, anyway.

Agreed, for 90% of Lego users knowing the ID numbers of Lego colours is not helpful - but it's useful for bearing in mind that Number 370 being used doesn't necessarily mean Number 369 will ever make it to production!