Megbricks

Lego colors - coming and going

That new fluorescent yellow color appeared in its first set today. It os used for a torso along with what seems to be a few pieces in the ne Monkie Kid car/thing set. Its reaaaaallllyy flashy. I love it!

11 hours ago, Megbricks said:

That new fluorescent yellow color appeared in its first set today. It os used for a torso along with what seems to be a few pieces in the ne Monkie Kid car/thing set. Its reaaaaallllyy flashy. I love it!

I saw the color and love it, I do hope that City replaces it's light yellow with the neon yellow for the stripe on the vehicles, or at the very least that the color becomes common enough.

Edited by TeriXeri

26 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I saw the color and love it, I do hope that City replaces it's light yellow with the neon yellow for the stripe on the vehicles, or at the very least that the color becomes common enough.

Yes i hope so too!!! The use on this set seems to be very limited. Maybe to 2 pieces only. But its just the beginning. Like coral, we will probably get lots of this yellow in the next years🤞

This color is indeed more suitable for vehicles than the light yellow. 

17 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I do hope that City replaces it's light yellow with the neon yellow for the stripe on the vehicles

Why would they do that? It's not that every emergency vehicle is driving around in neon colors and the pale yellow is pretty appropriate for a lot of "non-critical labeling and demarcations", as it's called in norms and standards papers as they e.g. apply to fire trucks. Should they throw in the Neon Yellow for warning vests and some elements? Sure! But should they fully use it as a substitute for other established colors? I certainly hope not...

Mylenium

1 hour ago, Mylenium said:

Why would they do that? It's not that every emergency vehicle is driving around in neon colors and the pale yellow is pretty appropriate for a lot of "non-critical labeling and demarcations", as it's called in norms and standards papers as they e.g. apply to fire trucks. Should they throw in the Neon Yellow for warning vests and some elements? Sure! But should they fully use it as a substitute for other established colors? I certainly hope not...

Mylenium

Neon yellow is pretty common colour in real life ambulances though, so making an ambulance set with the new colour would add variety to the whiteness of the theme.

4 hours ago, Mylenium said:

Mylenium

Here, most cities have neon yellow on emergency vehicles. A city close to here even has their firetrucks completely neon yellow. The provinces ambulances are also neon yellow.   

Neon yellowNeon yellowAmbulance

It depends on where you live i guess. I never related as a kid to the lego ambulance  colors because to me they should be neon yellow. I think its a good idea to vary the color scheme to make it more representative of regional differences.  But anyways. What ever they use the color for, I am very happy that they made this color:)

I actually think the Monkie Kid set would look a lot better if it didn't needlessly add neon yellow. The color is nice, but just having it in a set that didn't need it is annoying. I think I'd like the set more if it was a different color.

8 hours ago, Mylenium said:

Mylenium

I never said replace the color entirely, just would be nice to see some neon yellow stripe on the 2022 vehicles.

Fire Helmets will be Neon Yellow in 2022.

Neon Yellow is used a lot in European vehicle designs, especially newer ones.

Germany : 

50701918438_12fbbca8be_o.jpg

Sweden: 

Swedish police deploy Volvo V90 - International Fleet World

UK:

863620.jpg

Netherlands Ambulance : 

Emergency numbers in the Netherlands | Expaticaanwb_ec135.jpg

UK Fire Truck : 

LFB_Pump_Ladder.jpg

Denmark Fire Truck : 

fire_truck_scania_d94_260_4x2_bronto_skylift_f32rl_2000_6923884.jpg?format=jpg&quality=70&w=265&h=199

Edited by TeriXeri

15 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Neon Yellow is used a lot in European vehicle designs, especially newer ones.

But so is pale yellow, which kind of is my point. Again, I'm not against the new color, but rather the total substitution and abolition of pale yellow, which funny enough is and has been the default color for EMTs for 20 years or so here in Germany (before it was that old beige/ ivory). Point in case: In many situations pale yellow would still be more appropriate than neon yellow, even more so since this stuff is highly regulated and the emergency services can't apply those markings at whim.

Mylenium

1 hour ago, Mylenium said:

But so is pale yellow, which kind of is my point. Again, I'm not against the new color, but rather the total substitution and abolition of pale yellow, which funny enough is and has been the default color for EMTs for 20 years or so here in Germany (before it was that old beige/ ivory). Point in case: In many situations pale yellow would still be more appropriate than neon yellow, even more so since this stuff is highly regulated and the emergency services can't apply those markings at whim.

Mylenium

I doubt it would be replacing ALL instances of Cool Yellow/Bright Light Yellow in the City theme. @TeriXeri was specifically proposing that it could replace the sort of narrow Cool Yellow accent stripes we've seen on recent Police and Fire sets like 60276 or 60282. That'd be a pretty subtle change, and it's a far cry from the sort of German EMT vehicles you mention that use yellow as one of the main colors, not just for high-visibility stripes. Moreover, a lot of ambulances in the UK have light yellow body paint AND high-visibility chartreuse yellow decals — a distinction that would be lost if LEGO had to use just one color in both of those roles.

Beyond the context of emergency vehicles, a high-visibility fluorescent yellow color like the one we're beginning to see next year could be a great fit for all sorts of other uses. Next year's fire helmets are a good example, as are the printed stripes on firefighter jackets, which LEGO was already using fluorescent yellow ink for even before they had a matching plastic. But additionally, it would be a pretty good color for hazmat suits, road worker / crossing guard vests, factory equipment, power tools, bicycle helmets, police tape/barricades, caution signs, tennis balls, etc.

6 hours ago, Megbricks said:

Here, most cities have neon yellow on emergency vehicles. A city close to here even has their firetrucks completely neon yellow. The provinces ambulances are also neon yellow.   

Neon yellowNeon yellowAmbulance

It depends on where you live i guess. I never related as a kid to the lego ambulance  colors because to me they should be neon yellow. I think its a good idea to vary the color scheme to make it more representative of regional differences.  But anyways. What ever they use the color for, I am very happy that they made this color:)

Yooooo! If the ambulance from the new hospital looks like that, it would be in "Shut up and take my darn money!" territory. 

2 hours ago, Poodabricks said:

Yooooo! If the ambulance from the new hospital looks like that, it would be in "Shut up and take my darn money!" territory. 

Hehehe:) for me too!

My wish seems to have come true, the 2022 Police vehicles having a neon yellow stripe , and the medical vehicles are partly neon yellow and turqoise. :pir-love:

10 hours ago, Maple said:

Every set with the neon yellow that's been revealed as been horrible.

Haha wow it really depends on the individual preferences i guess! I was about to say the opposite. :) 

11 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

My wish seems to have come true, the 2022 Police vehicles having a neon yellow stripe , and the medical vehicles are partly neon yellow and turqoise. :pir-love:

I know!! I loooove them. 

Interesting that the coral colour doesn’t seem to be used in ANY of the new 2022 City sets, and only appears very sparingly as an accent colour in the 2022 Friends sets. 

5 hours ago, williejm said:

Interesting that the coral colour doesn’t seem to be used in ANY of the new 2022 City sets, and only appears very sparingly as an accent colour in the 2022 Friends sets. 

I don't think that's particularly remarkable? There's been hardly any sets that have been predominantly coral—like the new Neon Yellow, a color that bright can be a little overpowering if used for anything other than an accent. And it's always been more common in themes like Friends than in City (though you're wrong about it not appearing in any of the new City sets, since one of the kids in the school has a new coral torso design).

Vibrant Coral also appears in a few of the new Dots sets, most notably in the Neon Tiger bracelet and bag tag set where it's used alongside various colors like azure and the new Neon Yellow for a very Lisa Frank-esque aesthetic.

Edited by Lyichir

I actually hate neon yellow. I found myself growing nauseous when looking at the new yellow color and also the pictures above in this thread.

I thought I was being silly but after googling it, yellow can actually make people want to throw up!

https://thevirtualinstructor.com/blog/some-interesting-facts-about-color

I can't find any real info though, other than that one site, so I would take it with a grain of salt. It's not unheard of though. A lot of people online have reported feeling the same. Could be a semi-common synesthesia thing.

But anyway. Yeah, I hate it. It's the color of bile. Which might be why it makes me sick!

Hahaha imagine if City sets make kids around the world throw up hahaha That would be a heck of a headline

Similar to the banned seizure-inducing Pokemon episode

Edited by Robert8

3 hours ago, danth said:

I actually hate neon yellow. I found myself growing nauseous when looking at the new yellow color and also the pictures above in this thread.

I thought I was being silly but after googling it, yellow can actually make people want to throw up!

https://thevirtualinstructor.com/blog/some-interesting-facts-about-color

I can't find any real info though, other than that one site, so I would take it with a grain of salt. It's not unheard of though. A lot of people online have reported feeling the same. Could be a semi-common synesthesia thing.

But anyway. Yeah, I hate it. It's the color of bile. Which might be why it makes me sick!

Yes! Join me. Come to the dark side. Or in my case the pale side because I miss the pale yellow in fire and police.

1 minute ago, Robert8 said:

Hahaha imagine if City sets make kids around the world throw up hahaha That would be a heck of a headline

Similar to the banned seizure-inducing Pokemon episode

If that color alone caused kids to throw up I think the bigger headline would be real-life ambulances and emergency vehicles in that color causing that...

On 12/2/2021 at 5:59 PM, williejm said:

and only appears very sparingly as an accent colour in the 2022 Friends sets. 

Well, that could be seen as LEGO coming to their senses... When Coral was fresh, they've thrown it into every package, be it just as some hidden 1 x 2 tile. Same for Dark Turquoise. Just look at how much of those colors is in the failed VIDIYO series. For a while it appeared as if they were going out of their way to produce every element in these colors, which is funny, considering how LEGO do not care to do the same for other, more mundane colors. It seems to me they are doing the same for Neon Yellow - saturate the market by producing as many pieces as they can in this color so people can't complain and then probably down the line in two years or so considerably dial it down.

Mylenium

The jump bar in the Horse Transport set uses Coral which is interesting.

The Fire vehicles might have more neon yellow, but 1 brick thick is still a better option compared to a sticker or many 1x1 plates for some checkered pattern (like denmark fire trucks).

I think the worst use of the neon yellow in City is the neon yellow fire logos on the 2 largest fire trucks, it breaks the "stripe" and also there's a red sticker/panel on the fire station which could've been used instead.

However, there's also a clear difference between the actual photos and the renders, the renders being a lot brighter red/yellow then most lighting conditions would be.

Overall I think for the Police using 1 plate thick , the neon yellow looks best with the vehicles being mostly blue.

Edited by TeriXeri