Cobalt Usagi

Powered Up Hub Bluetooth Disconnecting While Running Custom Program

Problem: Powered Up hub Bluetooth disconnects shortly after running a custom program in the Powered Up app

Details: I have the Crocodile locomotive that runs perfectly when I'm using the Lego Crocodile program. It will run without the Bluetooth disconnecting. Recently I made a small custom program in the Powered Up app and noticed that the Bluetooth was disconnecting frequently.

I've tried a lot of different combinations to see if I could isolate the fault of the problem.

1. (Android device) Ran the Crocodile locomotive using the Lego Crocodile program and timed how long it would run before Bluetooth disconnected - Ran until I stopped it.

2. (Android device) Ran Croc using custom program and timed how long it took for Bluetooth to disconnect - Disconnects in about 30 seconds.

3. (iOS) Ran the custom program with my iPad and Bluetooth stayed connected longer, but still disconnected after about 2 minutes.

4. Got a reply from Lego Tech Support - Mostly checking settings, etc. (I checked settings and didn't find anything I needed to change).

5. Did some more testing - Verified with Android and iOS that the Lego crocodile program will run without Bluetooth disconnecting. Works perfectly (Ran the train for >5 minutes)

6. I tried putting iOS and Android device in different locations to see if that would make a difference; it didn't. I am <5 meters away from the hub.

7. My Android is up to date and so is the Powered Up app.

I've probably tried some other things that I forgot to list. I've searched for others with the similar problem but I haven't found anything that matched.

Any guidance on why the Bluetooth works fine when using the Lego crocodile program, but when using a simple custom one, it loses connection within minutes?

I am planning to run a multi train set up with programmed stops, etc.

Thank you in advance for any replies!

And it doesn't disconnect with a LEGO remote or? I did some tests using a Raspberry Pi with Python and it seems to hold it's connection well.

On 11/2/2021 at 9:55 AM, JopieK said:

And it doesn't disconnect with a LEGO remote or? I did some tests using a Raspberry Pi with Python and it seems to hold it's connection well.

The hub's bluetooth will work perfectly while using a Lego remote, or using Lego PoweredUp app program. The problem only happens when using a custom program in the PoweredUp app. 

It's strange that I'm the only one it seems to be having this problem. I've checked my android phone's settings multiple times and everything is enabled for bluetooth/location, etc. (Other bluetooth devices work fine on my android phone).

I just got a new Lego hub and tested it in my train. The same issue happens.

Hi, could you please send a pic of the program?
Perhaps this gives a hint....

1 hour ago, Cobalt Usagi said:

The hub's bluetooth will work perfectly while using a Lego remote, or using Lego PoweredUp app program. The problem only happens when using a custom program in the PoweredUp app. 

It's strange that I'm the only one it seems to be having this problem. I've checked my android phone's settings multiple times and everything is enabled for bluetooth/location, etc. (Other bluetooth devices work fine on my android phone).

I just got a new Lego hub and tested it in my train. The same issue happens.

So then it must be an Android issue. Next would be to test it against multiple Android devices (to see if it is caused by Android indeed or just your type op device), and against iOS. As I remember there is some kind of 'ping pong' going to a devices knows the other device is still alive or not. I hope to test Raspberry Pi - PUP soon. I did some initial tests there, but not for longer durations for now.

9 minutes ago, JopieK said:

So then it must be an Android issue.

It's the same with iOS, only later

10 minutes ago, JopieK said:

hope to test Raspberry Pi - PUP soon. I did some initial tests there, but not for longer durations for now.

I never faced such problemes, App (android), RaspPi, ESP32.

I'll test later what happens here....

@Lok24 you did a lot of testing already on different platforms, did you by any chance notice any 'alive' messages?

Hi @Cobalt Usagi,

now found and Android device and tested your program, no disconnect at all.
With motor running, with motor stopped, more than 5 minutes.

Conclusion: the program is ok.

But I could oly test with app Version 3.6.0, suppose you have 3.7.0?

1 hour ago, Lok24 said:

Hi @Cobalt Usagi,

now found and Android device and tested your program, no disconnect at all.
With motor running, with motor stopped, more than 5 minutes.

Conclusion: the program is ok.

But I could oly test with app Version 3.6.0, suppose you have 3.7.0?

Thank you for testing it out. That's right, I'm using PoweredUP app version 3.7.0 on my Android device.