Sign in to follow this  
Mesabi

[COR-FB1] EnCountering the Count in Spudkirk

Type: Small Educational

It was a windy day in the Spudkirk, as RSND Chairman Ralph Clutchington and Commander Joshua walked towards the town library, where the mad Count Mesabi had arranged for a meeting.

51640781272_a709481a91_z.jpg

"Ok, so the Crown's dossier on the guy said "DO NOT make sudden movements, threaten, or talk about food in any vocation around Count Mesabi" said Commander Joshua, as the two stood on the stairs.

"Understood. I still don't understand why does the Crown hasn't done anything about him! He has all sorts of nefarious business practices, shoddy construction jobs, probable tax evasion, randomly sending a rowboat to attack Fatu Hiva.... then actually invading Fatu Hiva with a private army... the whole thing with the horses.... The bloke is a stain on the good name of Corrington." replied Ralph Clutchington.

"Well, he's rich as Hades, and he has the largest private army in all of Corrington." said Commander Joshua solemnly. 

The two reached the door. 

51642260889_354f318448_z.jpg

"After you, good sir. May the Gods let this go well."

They walked inside the library. Looted books and antiquities lined the shelves, as the majority of written texts that once graced Fatu Hiva filled the small library to the brim. The two continued through the shelves to a set of stairs.

51640782387_e38ffc569a_z.jpg

Count Mesabi sat in the well lit upper floor, having just finished parsing through an ancient text. Darby stood next to him, anticipating the arrival of the two gentlemen. 

51641823918_d954c0f713_z.jpg

"Anyways Darby, the people who created the vault on Isla Door was super into mysterious underground vaults.  Apparently, it was a huge deal for them. That and crypts. Oh yeah, we were meeting the  Royal Science Nerd Dude, and Commodore Josh today." said the Count, cheery as usual.

"Count, it's Commander Joshua, and the representative from the The Royal Society of Navigation and Discovery is Ralph Clutchington." replied Darby, slightly annoyed.

"Are you sure, it's not some guy who's nickname is RSND?" Asked the Count incredulously.

The footsteps of the two men grew closer as they walked up a set of stairs. 

51642460745_f7a44e6de5_z.jpg

"Greetings, Count Mesabi, we're very glad to finally meet with you." said Commander Joshua in a very  formal tone. 

"We're quite pleased to hear that you're offering the use of the WTC marines and shipping logistics for the conflict with the Lotii." Added Ralph Clutchington. 

"Yes of course gentlemen. I am always pleased to send my rancorous ranks into glorious conflict with other nations. Corrington has red on the flag you know."

"We should have over 200 men by the end of the next cycle. replied Darby proudly. This is in addition to the soldiers brought at the last cycle."

The Count stood and walked to the window.

51642460670_e0f7fbe02b_z.jpg

"That's most excellent." said Ralph Clutchington, "We can certainly use the support." though he wondered how many innocent horses would die in the campaign.

"The WTC Marines, while far less organized than Corrington's Redcoats proper, will certainly do their part against the Lotii" Said Commander Joshua. 

"The WTC always relishes the chance to help Corrington by breaking things." The Count Replied. "But I have a far more urgent question for you. What's the most popular restaurant in this Tubular Town? I wish to buy it out, and shake up their menu..."

51642460520_9c1ee3ab96_z.jpg

"Uh..." Stuttered Commander Joshua.

"There has never.... uh... ever been a restaurant in Spudkirk.... ever... Everyone does home cooking. No inns, no taverns... no uh.... pubs." improvised Ralph Clutchington. 

51642460670_e0f7fbe02b_z.jpg

"Then I'll do it myself...." he said, eluding to what the Commander and the Chairmen could only assume was a restaurant that served horses. 

"The WTC is always happy to assist." finished Darby awkwardly. 

The Count chuckled evilly.

51642261254_3d8fa3a648_z.jpg

FIN

Thanks for viewing my build! This continues Count Mesabi's story from Fatu Hiva. 

I really had fun building this one. I'm especially proud of doing the window wells for this, it added a bit of a challenge to the build for me. I regret making it so grey (which is why there is moss on the build), but I think it turned out well otherwise. 

I also did not have the proper minifigures for Commander Joshua, and Ralph Clutchington, unfortunately, so they look a little generic. 

Comments and Criticism Appreciated!

Edited by Mesabi

Interesting photo story, I'm curious how it will go on. Very good photos of the outside and inside. I like the elaborate construction with the columns, arches, windows and the light shafts to the basement. The moss was a clever idea. In the office I like the wooden floor with the carpet.

Edited by NOD

Welcome back to BotBS! Superb story. I'm glad you're joining in the war with the Lotii, whatever the Count's reasons!

5 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Looted books and antiquities lined the shelves

How did they end up in Spudkirk? :pir-look::pir-grin:

I'll need to get a restaurant set up in the town for the Count, though I am not sure they can meet his particular tastes.

Also, remember to post it in the Spudkirk settlement post!

The greenery really helps tie it together (and those green 1x2 round plates!). Those windows are pretty cool - where are they from?

12 hours ago, evancelt said:

The greenery really helps tie it together (and those green 1x2 round plates!). Those windows are pretty cool - where are they from?

Thank you! I appreciated the suggestion in the pm, and I'm glad it helped add some colour. 

The windows came from this Dimensions set. I'm always a tad worried they look to modern for BoBS, but I think they fit in well here for sure. 

20 hours ago, Spud The Viking said:

Welcome back to BotBS! Superb story. I'm glad you're joining in the war with the Lotii, whatever the Count's reasons!

Thanks! I like staying on the fringes a bit, and building when the urge strikes me. 

21 hours ago, Spud The Viking said:

How did they end up in Spudkirk? :pir-look::pir-grin:

I'll need to get a restaurant set up in the town for the Count, though I am not sure they can meet his particular tastes.

Also, remember to post it in the Spudkirk settlement post!

The ancient manuscripts and books were moved to a proper Corrish settlement (Instead of Mesabi Landing) aboard the Count's ships to Spudkirk as they left Fatu Hiva, since it would be harder to and create diplomatic kerfuffles if they tried to recover them, they would be properly appreciated in a proper Corrish Settlement. 

I might do that one on my own, but I've never been good at building restaurants for some reason. 

I have posted it there! I think it should fulfill the educational  requirements of the settlement for large town too. :pir-classic:

On 10/30/2021 at 1:21 PM, NOD said:

Interesting photo story, I'm curious how it will go on. Very good photos of the outside and inside. I like the elaborate construction with the columns, arches, windows and the light shafts to the basement. The moss was a clever idea. In the office I like the wooden floor with the carpet.

Thank you! I am looking forwards to see how the conflict with the lotii goes too. For my build style, you can't go wrong with arches, columns, and windows. 

Those window pieces are really cool!  Great use of that shield over the door too.  The vines definitely help break up the grey, good call. :thumbup:

On 10/30/2021 at 11:38 AM, Mesabi said:

I really had fun building this one. I'm especially proud of doing the window wells for this, it added a bit of a challenge to the build for me. I regret making it so grey (which is why there is moss on the build), but I think it turned out well otherwise.

The windows are great. And I don't think it is too grey; working with one dominant color is a good challenge to make us build in more texture and details, which you've done. The moss/vines are one of my favorite parts of the build. This is one of my favorites of your builds. :thumbup:

Well done @Mesabi! Fun story accompanied by a great build as well. While generic, both Commander Joshua and VP Clutchington are easily distinguishable and I think the personalities are properly expressed.  

On 11/1/2021 at 10:03 AM, Kai NRG said:

Those window pieces are really cool!  Great use of that shield over the door too.  The vines definitely help break up the grey, good call. :thumbup:

Thank you!

On 11/1/2021 at 10:08 AM, Capt Wolf said:

The windows are great. And I don't think it is too grey; working with one dominant color is a good challenge to make us build in more texture and details, which you've done. The moss/vines are one of my favorite parts of the build. This is one of my favorites of your builds. :thumbup:

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I certainly enjoyed building this one, and I'm glad the texturing shows.

On 11/1/2021 at 1:09 PM, LM71Blackbird said:

Well done @Mesabi! Fun story accompanied by a great build as well. While generic, both Commander Joshua and VP Clutchington are easily distinguishable and I think the personalities are properly expressed.  

Thank you!