KaiW

Evans Auto-Railer E-2 Locomotive

Hello everybody!

First post here, I want to show you a little model I am building up. I browsed the forum for quite some time and it is great to see what you guys here a modelling with Lego. I grew up with the 9V train system and have many old sets from the 90s, we recently bought a house what means less time for hobbies but actually more space for them :classic:

I set up a small 9V layout in the hobby room recently, about two years ago I came back to the hobby with some BlueBrixx models (I know this is a Lego forum, please don't blame me if there might be some BlueBrixx-sets in background photos).

My contribution here is a "locomotive" I wanted to model since I saw it the first time, because I like this odd looking little streamlined design.

Here is a link to a (probably recolored) photo from flickr (not my photo!):

Evans Auto-Railer M2 1937

Although named "M-2" in several sources, I came across this old brochure from Evans clearly naming it the "E-2":
www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/evans-auto-railer-locomoti...

My first try was 8-wide, but as said above I have 9V era 6-wide trains that I do not want to rebuild (including Super Chief, BNSF, Metroliner...). After a few rebuilds and re-thinking of solutions and parts, I finally came up with a 6-wide version that has enough space to include motorisation:

OcTRAINber_2021_Evans_M-2V5_ZB_5OcTRAINber_2021_Evans_M-2V5_ZB_6

I created custom stickers and all missing parts are ordered (all original Lego of course). Curcuit Cubes will arrive today :classic:

This will be my contribution to this years OcTRAINber as well.

Thanks for reading!

Kai

20 hours ago, ivanlan9 said:

It's also sufficiently ugly to win some hearts.  :wub_drool:

I like the body for your model, and think that it's about the best anyone could do.  But I wonder about the windscreens.  Couldn't you use https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6567c01#T=C ?

It's definitely made for 6-wide models.

i think that one looks too square to match the prototype

On 10/29/2021 at 5:44 PM, zephyr1934 said:

That is a crazy prototype you chose and excellent recreation in bricks. What a great first post too.

Thanks a lot!

On 10/31/2021 at 2:24 AM, ivanlan9 said:

It's also sufficiently ugly to win some hearts.  :wub_drool:

I like the body for your model, and think that it's about the best anyone could do.  But I wonder about the windscreens.  Couldn't you use https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6567c01#T=C ?

It's definitely made for 6-wide models.

I intended to use this, but one part is at roughly 45€ currently. That was way too expensive for me. In the end I have very limited space inside this model, so my solution worked out pretty well to route the Curcuit Cubes cables.

On 10/31/2021 at 10:20 PM, XG BC said:

i think that one looks too square to match the prototype

You are probably right as well, although my 6-wide version is limited in details nevertheless.

In the meantime all bricklink orders arrived. The design has changed in many spots from the virtual model to make it work. There are 3 Curcuit Cubes motors installed, two for driving and one for lifting/lowering the rail wheels. As this is a hy-rail vehicle in real live, I wanted to make it fully working in Lego as well.

The steering is a skid-steer solution, as this was the best compromise for me in this scale and works just fine.

The rail-wheel mechanism was not as simple as I intended though. First idea was to use the third motor as a winch and pull the wheels up while bringing them back in lower position by a rubber band (large traction tires from train wheels). However, the winch blocked the motor from time to time. A solution with gears was not possible due to the available space. I came up with a system of small traction tires. One issue I had was the rubber bands did not press the rail wheels onto the tracks enough, what lead to derailsments in curves. Finally, I added a locking today. You can see it in action in this small video:

Lego Evans Auto-Railer working Chassis

Lego Evans Auto-Railer working Chassis

And here are some photos of the final model and some building technics used. There is only one non-Lego part, which is a small piece of wire inside the pneumatic hose on the front right side to hold the clip in position and hide the connector.

51664788799_9f49dffef3_b.jpg51664341813_3d07df41f1_b.jpg51664985855_d96b506bd7_b.jpg51664341923_af5f12da1b_b.jpg51664110501_01d59bde6f_b.jpg51664110476_2f9ecf961b_b.jpg

The roof is removable for easy access:

51664341948_08ae7c9acf_b.jpg

Now I just need to print stickers and take some final photos. :classic:

53 minutes ago, KaiW said:

In the meantime all bricklink orders arrived. The design has changed in many spots from the virtual model to make it work. There are 3 Curcuit Cubes motors installed, two for driving and one for lifting/lowering the rail wheels. As this is a hy-rail vehicle in real live, I wanted to make it fully working in Lego as well.

That is insanely cool! Not only do you control the rail wheels, but it drives on road too

Now there's some impressive work - I don't think I've ever seen a fully-motorised LEGO road-railer before*! And you've achieved some really tricky shaping with the bodyshell - it looks as bizarre as the prototype!

*As a side-note, it's great to see what people are doing with these Circuit Cubes, I definitely need to get myself some when I'm next reunited with my real bricks...

6 hours ago, KaiW said:

And here are some photos of the final model and some building technics used. There is only one non-Lego part, which is a small piece of wire inside the pneumatic hose on the front right side to hold the clip in position and hide the connector

if i where to nitpick here the other non lego parts are the cirquitcube components. in all seriousness though great model with an awesome mechanism inside!

On 11/8/2021 at 4:42 PM, zephyr1934 said:

That is insanely cool! Not only do you control the rail wheels, but it drives on road too

On 11/8/2021 at 6:20 PM, ColletArrow said:

Now there's some impressive work - I don't think I've ever seen a fully-motorised LEGO road-railer before*! And you've achieved some really tricky shaping with the bodyshell - it looks as bizarre as the prototype!

*As a side-note, it's great to see what people are doing with these Circuit Cubes, I definitely need to get myself some when I'm next reunited with my real bricks...

Thank you both! Yes, I intended to make it fully working from the beginning. This can also work on very small switching layouts and is a lot of fun to play with!

On 11/8/2021 at 10:25 PM, XG BC said:

if i where to nitpick here the other non lego parts are the cirquitcube components. in all seriousness though great model with an awesome mechanism inside!

You are right, of course! Let's say the only non-brick part :laugh:

In the meantime I printed stickers and took some final photos and made a small video of my model. Hope you like it!

Lego Evans Auto-Railer E-2

Lego Evans Auto-Railer E-2

Edited by KaiW

Not sure how I missed this build, but it's really good. That's a lot of functionality squeezed into a small package. Congratulations and best of luck in the competition.

man i love that circuit cube allows really fun builds like this, smart idea to use tank controls for the driving wheels to. Very fantastic build you got.

COOL!

What a technique for the small space, madness. And it still looks good.

Thomas

An original prototype and a fantastic Lego model!!! I love to see it in action...a bit left, a bit right....wheels down! :wub: 

Great work and great use of internal room to fit everything inside the body!:thumbup::laugh:

Ciao!

Davide

Many thanks for all your feedback, I am overwhelmed! :blush:

Here are some bonus photos with some calssic Lego models and a video switching a Sante Fe RPO. You can see it handles curves and switches well.

Evans Auto-Railer and classic Lego

Evans Auto-Railer and classic Lego

51670621907_b8f4ce53fb_b.jpgEvans E-2 Switcher by Kai W., auf Flickr

Edited by KaiW

Great model!

Amazing what has been done with the circuit cubes in the least weeks.