Sign in to follow this  
KRS-3284

[MOC] Las Fuentes - Mexican Modular Building

Hi everyone! 

I've been a long time lurker here, and I am very proud to share my first ever MOC! This is a modular building inspired by Mexican and Italian architecture. I was originally inspired by the architecture from my home town in Mexico and I wanted to represent that here. Eventually, I mixed in a bit of Italian elements in the facade as well. I initially started with the water fountains (hence the name) incorporating the shell pieces. Next I designed the duomo using the hot air balloon panels which, thankfully, exist in dark orange. The color scheme is a very traditional Mexican palette. My absolute favourite part of this build, however, is the extremely rare Technic 12-tooth gear in green which is the perfect piece for a cactus. That was also the most expensive element in this model! So without further ado...

51628177030_257f697ce5_c.jpg

51628177060_9fd2e5c28e_c.jpg

51627319586_e53c9c74ee_c.jpg

51627970259_838b7cef5b_c.jpg

51628177120_d20b0a9e1d_c.jpg

51627319681_0164804499_c.jpg

51628176975_9a20bd2064_c.jpg

51627540498_9872b74386_c.jpg

51627540403_48ea47e7e2_c.jpg

51627970424_240dfc41bf_c.jpg

51627319606_fe11f8d53e_c.jpg

51626491252_11a236a946_c.jpg

As this is my first full MOC, I am completely open to suggestions. I can also answer any questions about the build. I am currently working on the interior, I have not yet decided on whether I want to make this into a cathedral or a library. I will update this when I have completed the interior. 

Cheers!

Edited by KRS-3284

Beautiful building, congratulations. Lots of beautiful details. But those fat, rounded cactus.... I'm in love with them. So clever.

Some clever details here. Yes, the cacti look neat using the gear. I hadn't thought of that (granted I didn't know they came in green). I like the fountains and use of the energy element as water spouting out. I like the dome on top. I like the white arched awning pieces on the middle floor.

A lot of neat ideas here. Well done.

4 hours ago, Gongoro73 said:

Beautiful building, congratulations. Lots of beautiful details. But those fat, rounded cactus.... I'm in love with them. So clever.

Wow, thank you! Yes, it was really fun to finally put those cacti in the build. 

3 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

Some clever details here. Yes, the cacti look neat using the gear. I hadn't thought of that (granted I didn't know they came in green). I like the fountains and use of the energy element as water spouting out. I like the dome on top. I like the white arched awning pieces on the middle floor.

A lot of neat ideas here. Well done.

Thank you so much!

Well done. Good styling, it flows well, and appears complete. I picture it as a small religious building. The way you did the fountains and the cacti are superb. Does it have an interior?

Beautiful building. A different style and color combination make it stand out. The dome is built using those odd baloon parts, that was a surprise for me. It works well with the color.

My favourite detail are the flower beds in front of the house. The cacti look georgous, especially the little "gear-like" with flowers.

Gorgeous building! So many great details, especially the dome roof, front door and fountains.  The cacti are perfect!

First build? Man that looks great! As others have mentioned the gear cactus is genius. I particularly like the influence of Italian churches (at least that's what it looks like to me) on the façade. The dome looks very tightly built too. It's funny because I think that in theory itlaian and mexican architecture styles mixed shouldn't really work but it does! Same with the colour palette. If you hadn't added the white façade and had kept going with dark tan, it would have looked way too cluttered and without a main point for the viewer to focus on. I like the fact that the eye has both the white façade and the dome as main points of interest.

Great job!

On 10/26/2021 at 8:44 AM, Feuer Zug said:

Well done. Good styling, it flows well, and appears complete. I picture it as a small religious building. The way you did the fountains and the cacti are superb. Does it have an interior?

Thank you! I'm currently working on the interior and will update the thread once that's done, although I haven't quite yet decided what I want to include. 

17 hours ago, Kristel said:

Gorgeous building! So many great details, especially the dome roof, front door and fountains.  The cacti are perfect!

Thank you!

On 10/26/2021 at 11:57 AM, Redhead1982 said:

Beautiful building. A different style and color combination make it stand out. The dome is built using those odd baloon parts, that was a surprise for me. It works well with the color.

My favourite detail are the flower beds in front of the house. The cacti look georgous, especially the little "gear-like" with flowers.

Thank you for the comment, I'm glad you like it!

10 hours ago, paupadros said:

First build? Man that looks great! As others have mentioned the gear cactus is genius. I particularly like the influence of Italian churches (at least that's what it looks like to me) on the façade. The dome looks very tightly built too. It's funny because I think that in theory itlaian and mexican architecture styles mixed shouldn't really work but it does! Same with the colour palette. If you hadn't added the white façade and had kept going with dark tan, it would have looked way too cluttered and without a main point for the viewer to focus on. I like the fact that the eye has both the white façade and the dome as main points of interest.

Great job!

Wow, I've long admired your work, so this means a lot! And yes, Italian churches were a huge reference point for the facade. Also, Mexican architecture is essentially Spanish architecture, which is a lot more eclectic than Italian, so yes it was interesting balancing them out. With the color choices too, a lot of it basically came down to what pieces were available to certain colours, like the shells, the round 3x3 corner slopes, and of course, the domed roof. 

Thank you for the feedback! 

Very stylish MOC that captures so many architectural elements beautifully! I think it's time again to pack my travel boots... 

Very interesting style of architecture I'm not familiar with. Really like the colour palette, thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

I love it. The fountain on the side. The little plants made from gears. The balloon pieces as the center of the roof. Really awesome.

The shell fountains and dome roof are indeed just fabulous. The density of detail in general is outstanding: not too cluttered, but enough to fool the eye on the scale of the build at a glance. It commands much more of a presence than its size alone would suggest!

I also have used those green gears as cactus! I used them on an older / first draft version of this build from 11 years ago (the version I linked is a redesign I did last year), and I can tell you they were still rare, but much cheaper back then. I seem to recall paying a couple bucks each for mine.

Edited by Carbohydrates

Nice building, lots of beautiful details. Sad for the rarity of the cactus gear part :laugh:

On 10/31/2021 at 11:19 AM, snaillad said:

Very interesting style of architecture I'm not familiar with. Really like the colour palette, thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Wow, thank you! I've admired your work for a long time, so I really appreciate that!  

17 hours ago, Carbohydrates said:

The shell fountains and dome roof are indeed just fabulous. The density of detail in general is outstanding: not too cluttered, but enough to fool the eye on the scale of the build at a glance. It commands much more of a presence than its size alone would suggest!

I also have used those green gears as cactus! I used them on an older / first draft version of this build from 11 years ago (the version I linked is a redesign I did last year), and I can tell you they were still rare, but much cheaper back then. I seem to recall paying a couple bucks each for mine.

Very kind words, thank you! And yes, those two gears alone cost me $16 CAD :iamded_lol: well worth it in the end tho!

Btw, I love your MOC! I'm hoping to do a Wild West town sometime soon. 

12 hours ago, antp said:

Nice building, lots of beautiful details. Sad for the rarity of the cactus gear part :laugh:

Indeed haha! Hopefully they come back in that color sometime in the future!