MookiMoo

Best course of action with missing parts.

Good Afternoon,

I'm currently building the 42100 Leibherr Excavator and I am on stage 3, step 636 where I require 2 short connectors. However, I have checked everywhere and not found the second one. I see there are plenty in the bags for stages 4 and 5 so I'm not sure what to do. Do I open the other bags and continue, hoping there's enough to complete the build or do I wait until I find a way of replacing the missing bit(s)?

This question may seem as a bit lame, but out of the handful of builds I have done I've never encountered a shortage before.

--
Bill

If it's just a pin or axlepin or something of that size or smaller, you will probably be alright to use one from the next bag. There are usually extras of such parts, especially in a set as big as that. Most likely it is just misplaced somewhere or other. In the hundreds of new sets I have put together or assisted with, I have never seen a set shorted. I don't know how they (TLG) do it so well.

Thanks @1963maniac for taking the time to respond. I did suspect that this may be the case, so I'll continue with the build using an joint from another bag.

--

Bill

I think the only time I truly had a "missing" part was a set where I had a wrongly coloured 1x4 plate. I had a black part and not a tan part. Those little parts bounce around even if you are extra careful, so you'll probably come across it in a shoe or somewhere else as absolutely ridiculous!

Hopefully you have been able to complete the set?

I only had 1 case of a missing part, and in that case I got a grey 1x6 plate that doesn't belong in the set in that color,  instead of a 2x2 white corner brick.

LEGO did send me a brick once I contacted them.

It was set 31069 , which was supposed to have 30 of those corner bricks, so probably a packing error of some sort.

Edited by TeriXeri

@Ajf350d Thanks for the link, good to know the service is there, if needed. As for my 'missing' part then it is in fact the axle joiner, the short grey tube.

@Peppermint_M I've not finished the build yet, I've other distractions. But as soon as I do I'll post a picture here.

It also seems that the general consensus is that it's very rare to get parts that need replacing, which is reassuring to know.

Unfortunately this is a problem that seems to be increasing in frequency. My Bad Batch shuttle was missing 7 parts, making it impossible to finish. this being my third set with missing piece problems I now make notes on the part list during the build process if I find anything missing. It helps to also note the 4 character factory number on the tape on the box before you discard the box, so when you call them for the new parts they can know which factory is creating the errors.

After a quick phone call they've usually expedited the missing parts to me.

SD

On 10/24/2021 at 8:27 AM, MookiMoo said:

@Ajf350d Thanks for the link, good to know the service is there, if needed. As for my 'missing' part then it is in fact the axle joiner, the short grey tube.

@Peppermint_M I've not finished the build yet, I've other distractions. But as soon as I do I'll post a picture here.

It also seems that the general consensus is that it's very rare to get parts that need replacing, which is reassuring to know.

Probably won’t have a spare of that left at the end, it’s usually bits like the black/blue pins etc.
Worth getting a replacement requested now as can take a week or two for them to come. I did have a look through my spare parts just in case, but none of those!

Missing  parts do happen, but often it turns up in a bag or carpet later. I think I’ve had two pieces actually missing across 40+ sets in the last 12-18 moths.
one was an incorrect piece so technically still had the correct number😄

I completed the build and I've added a picture of it to the Technics Photography thread here.

If you look at the gantry over the fan housings you'll see that it ends abruptly with a gap down in to the hydraulic hose pit (or whatever it's real name is) as there were no extras of this part. Thankfully it's a very subtle issue and isn't screamingly obvious but all the same I've placed an order for the missing bit just so I know it's complete.

I have only had it happen twice, just called LEGO and they gladly offered to send replacement part. Fortunately out of over 600 sets, I have only had two issues, once with a common part and once with a sticker sheet.

Lego is really good about replacing missing parts. You just go to the web site and enter in the applicable information. So long as you aren't trying to scam something rare or valuable such as minifig parts they will send it right out. It does typically take 2-3 weeks to arrive though.