TalonCard

New Pirate River Quest ride at LEGOLAND Florida!

I see that LEGOLAND Florida has just announced a new Pirate themed ride coming to the park with a nifty little video. LEGOLAND as always is keeping the LEGO Pirate spirit alive between set releases. :grin:

54 minutes ago, TalonCard said:

I see that LEGOLAND Florida has just announced a new Pirate themed ride coming to the park with a nifty little video. LEGOLAND as always is keeping the LEGO Pirate spirit alive between set releases. 

Have you purchased your ticket yet? :pir-grin:

5 hours ago, Captain_SoyBeard said:

Why couldn't they have included some in the actual set?

Ahhhh... which set?

Wait a minute... I think I recognize those Tentacles!

Did they get the same guy who did the Kraken attacks stop-motion video on Youtube to do some stop motion for this promo?!

Also, I believe they were talking about the Pirates' of Barracuda Bay Set, Mr. Phes.

On 11/2/2021 at 2:10 PM, Mister Phes said:

Ahhhh... which set?

The video is clearly showing the ship from the set 21322: Pirates of Barracuda Bay. However as far as I remember there where no brown monkeys included in that set?

1 hour ago, Captain_SoyBeard said:

The video is clearly showing the ship from the set 21322: Pirates of Barracuda Bay. However as far as I remember there where no brown monkeys included in that set? 

Right you are! There are no brown monkeys included in 21322 Pirates of Barracuda Bay.

I assume that's because molds for that particular monkey are no longer available and the monkeys used in the animation were produced years ago.

From what I gather, the below monkey is the one currently in production, and being a single piece, they're more cost effective to produce... but lacking poseability, they're not as effective for animation.

image.png

1 hour ago, Captain_SoyBeard said:

That was probably the last chance with the old mold then.

Never say never!

Sometimes these things make a return due to popular demand. :pir-wink:

1 hour ago, TalonCard said:

Thanks, TalonCard - I've updated the Classic-Pirates.com blog post.

Also announced is that Calico Jade, a LEGOLAND original character who is Brickbeard's second in command, will be involved in the attraction's storyline somehow.

Could Calico Jade be this new wench minifig seen in the promo video?

image.png

Ah, good catch! I don't think so, though--Calico Jade is an existing LEGOLAND Florida character with a pretty established look. She's featured in the marketing materials for this attraction specifically in an illustrated minifigure form that's consistent with her previous appearances. And while a 100% accurate Calico Jade minifigure isn't possible since her torso print doesn't exist in green, it is easy enough to make a reasonable approximation if you're willing to overlook the "Jade" in "Calico Jade." :pir_laugh2: Here's my version from awhile back. (Calico is one of my favorite of the non-minifigure pirate characters so I had to make one for Brickbeard's crew!)

I suspect that the minifigure here is actually a version of Robin Loot from the Barracuda Bay set like the others in the video--the apparent new torso print is possibly a result of the green screen compositing used to make the video. (It's about the same color as the water in the background.) Robin appears with her usual green torso in other shots.

Edited by TalonCard

And while a 100% accurate Calico Jade minifigure isn't possible since her torso print doesn't exist in green

That's probably a good thing  - what are they thinking by putting a splash of pink in her hair?  It totally throws the character from a pirate to just a regular person in fancy dress.

image.png

On 7/4/2022 at 4:21 PM, Mister Phes said:

That's probably a good thing  - what are they thinking by putting a splash of pink in her hair?  It totally throws the character from a pirate to just a regular person in fancy dress.

Even worse, that scowl on her face... remember when all minifigures used to smile? I miss those days. I'm not saying we need to go back to the plain smiley faces, but for Pete's sake, could they smile?

7 hours ago, jodawill said:

Even worse, that scowl on her face... remember when all minifigures used to smile?

Yeah, I noticed that facial expression as well. I get that she's supposed to be a cutthroat pirate and all, but the character looks like a moody teenager who is discontent with their job and doesn't want to be there.

Maybe I'm missing content not having see the live performance, but is that the kind of character people really want to bring their kids to see?

10 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Yeah, I noticed that facial expression as well. I get that she's supposed to be a cutthroat pirate and all, but the character looks like a moody teenager who is discontent with their job and doesn't want to be there.

Maybe I'm missing content not having see the live performance, but is that the kind of character people really want to bring their kids to see?

Right. Pirates can look sinister even with a smile on their faces. She doesn't look angry or mean. You're exactly right. She looks like a moody teenager. It's more like a sour disposition than an actual emotion. I can't imagine being a six year old kid, excited to be at Legoland for the first time, and then be greeted by this minifigure. It doesn't set the mood I'd want to have at Legoland.

This has been a general problem with minifigures recently. In the new roller coaster set, one of the women has a scowl on her face, and the other looks like she has self esteem issues. Why can't they just smile?