Sign in to follow this  
The Legonater

Heroica: Glory Amongst the Stars - Mission #7: My Bleeding Hart

Zaria recoils from the panel, waving her hand in the air in pain. Looking over her hand, she realizes the pain would subside eventually and curses in her native language. "Alright, fine. We tried playing your way, door. Now we do this my way." Zaria forcibly attempts to open the door using her strength. "Varen, mind lending a hand here? Please?"

10 hours ago, The Legonater said:

MM Note: For clarity, are you using Healing Light, or are you just getting set up?

I assume we didn’t happen to wander by right when they are seconds from life and death hahaha. This is the same as someone unsheathing their sword or cocking their gun. Just getting ready.

10 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Zaria recoils from the panel, waving her hand in the air in pain. Looking over her hand, she realizes the pain would subside eventually and curses in her native language. "Alright, fine. We tried playing your way, door. Now we do this my way." Zaria forcibly attempts to open the door using her strength. "Varen, mind lending a hand here? Please?"

"We're looking clear down the hall." He turns to Zaria and slings his rifle. "Here, let's try this fragile hacking chip. If that doens't work, I'll try to force the door with strength too."

Zaria steps back and waits for Varen to attempt the hacking chip before proceeding with her plan to force the door open. A part of her hoped it would fail, if only so she could rip the door open.

6 hours ago, Zepher said:

I assume we didn’t happen to wander by right when they are seconds from life and death hahaha. This is the same as someone unsheathing their sword or cocking their gun. Just getting ready.

MM Note: I figured as much, just wanted to double check!

5 hours ago, KotZ said:

"We're looking clear down the hall." He turns to Zaria and slings his rifle. "Here, let's try this fragile hacking chip. If that doens't work, I'll try to force the door with strength too."

5 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Zaria steps back and waits for Varen to attempt the hacking chip before proceeding with her plan to force the door open. A part of her hoped it would fail, if only so she could rip the door open.

Varen Coding Check (DC 3) - 3, 2, 6, 3 +1 (Two successes) Fragile Hacking Chip expended

Zaria Strength Check (DC 3) - 3, 6, 6, 1, 5 (Three successes)

As Merei stays with the detached arm, Varen and Zaria get to work with the door. Despite his advantage, Varen struggles to open the door gently. He is able to budge the door open another inch, but not before the panel shocks him as well. and the chip he retrieved from the forbidden sector splits in half in his hands. Zaria, eager to do something with her hands, squeezes in the gap created between the wall and the door and pushes. It takes a moment of strain before she is able to gain leverage and work the door along its track, shoving the door back into its side of the wall. She takes a moment to stretch out her muscles before following Varen into the sick bay.

medbay_2.png

They are left in a haunting sight. It immediately becomes clear that the light they saw before came streaming from the bright medical lamp hanging over a body laying on the stretcher. The body's face is frozen in shock, and the man's legs and torso seem connected solely by a sinewy brown and black liquid. On the other side of the room, a desk lamp casts glare against a bright holographic screen, that appears to still be active.

Kirwin whispers "Great job team!" from behind Varen and Zaria. Kirwin also has a hacking chip in their hand and looks like they were about to also have a try at the door. Kirwin points at the body while still whispering, "This is spooky all right. This is a scene right out of a show like Terror Travel Team Unite!. I would definitely not get close to that body unless taking a precaution or three!. Zaria, can you make sure I don't get killed while walking over to the terminal over there?"

Kirwin takes a look around the room while standing in the doorway near Varen and Zaria.

ooc: Sorry for the delay. I got home last night and was so tired I forget to check the thread. Then got so busy at work today I also forgot to check the thread! Also yes, the media show does include the exclamation point :)

Edited by karmajay

Merei would like to make a medicine check on the arm, trying to determine if it is attached to a body and, if not, what severed it, as well as a perception check (I guess? or Engineering or Insight? Not sure what makes most sense) trying to determine what exactly caused such a massive bit of destruction to the interior of the ship. She keeps her flames low, trying not to draw attention.

2 hours ago, karmajay said:

Kirwin whispers "Great job team!" from behind Varen and Zaria. Kirwin also has a hacking chip in their hand and looks like they were about to also have a try at the door. Kirwin points at the body while still whispering, "This is spooky all right. This is a scene right out of a show like Terror Travel Team Unite!. I would definitely not get close to that body unless taking a precaution or three!. Zaria, can you make sure I don't get killed while walking over to the terminal over there?"

Zaria motioned for Kirwin to enter the room with her. "It is alright. I will be beside you if need be." Zaria steps into the room and examines the corpse closer, hoping her dark vision would give her a more clear examination of just what the liquid was without having to touch it. "This ship is looking less like a freighter and more like a morgue. Keep your wits about you, everyone."

1 hour ago, karmajay said:

Kirwin takes a look around the room while standing in the doorway near Varen and Zaria.

ooc: Sorry for the delay. I got home last night and was so tired I forget to check the thread. Then got so busy at work today I also forgot to check the thread! Also yes, the media show does include the exclamation point :)

MM Note: No problem! :sweet:

Kirwin Perception Check (DC 3) - 1, 1, 5 (One success)

In the darkness, Kirwin can't immediately make out anything more about the room. The space continues to give him a bad feeling, however.

1 hour ago, Zepher said:

Merei would like to make a medicine check on the arm, trying to determine if it is attached to a body and, if not, what severed it, as well as a perception check (I guess? or Engineering or Insight? Not sure what makes most sense) trying to determine what exactly caused such a massive bit of destruction to the interior of the ship. She keeps her flames low, trying not to draw attention.

Merei Medicine Check (DC 1) - 3, 3, 5 (One success)

Merei Perception Check (DC 3) - 1, 5, 2 (One success) 

Merei is able clearly see the arm is detached, with the body laying under a pile of rubble. While she isn't able to determine the exact cause, it seems as if there was an explosion of some kind. 

11 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

Zaria motioned for Kirwin to enter the room with her. "It is alright. I will be beside you if need be." Zaria steps into the room and examines the corpse closer, hoping her dark vision would give her a more clear examination of just what the liquid was without having to touch it. "This ship is looking less like a freighter and more like a morgue. Keep your wits about you, everyone."

Zaria Nature Check DC 5 - 3, 3, 5 (One success)

From her distance, Zaria is unable to determine anything about the liquid. 

7 hours ago, The Legonater said:

As Merei stays with the detached arm, Varen and Zaria get to work with the door. Despite his advantage, Varen struggles to open the door gently. He is able to budge the door open another inch, but not before the panel shocks him as well. and the chip he retrieved from the forbidden sector splits in half in his hands. Zaria, eager to do something with her hands, squeezes in the gap created between the wall and the door and pushes. It takes a moment of strain before she is able to gain leverage and work the door along its track, shoving the door back into its side of the wall. She takes a moment to stretch out her muscles before following Varen into the sick bay.

"oof!" Varen grunts as he tries the door. When Zaria gets it open, he gives her a thumbs up.

They are left in a haunting sight. It immediately becomes clear that the light they saw before came streaming from the bright medical lamp hanging over a body laying on the stretcher. The body's face is frozen in shock, and the man's legs and torso seem connected solely by a sinewy brown and black liquid. On the other side of the room, a desk lamp casts glare against a bright holographic screen, that appears to still be active.

Varen swallows hard at the sick bay. He takes a breath. And then another. He fights the urge to bring his hand up to cover his face from the smell. Rarely had he ever done that back when he was a lawyer and then a fixer. Crime and bloody scenes were part of the job. This was unlike anything he ever saw. He tells himself that it would be respectful to not grimace, respectful to the deceased. They wouldn't want to be remembered as a terrible smell, right?

"Ok everyone. I know we all know," he starts, "but I'm going to say it out loud for all of us. This is an active crime scene, at least until it's determined it's an accident or something else. Let's try not to disturb the victims. Did anyone bring gloves?"

5 hours ago, karmajay said:

Varen cautiously steps in to the sick bay.

Zaria scowls in disgust. A growing knot twisted in her stomach. She wasn’t sure what she was looking at with the gooey mess between the dead man’s torso and legs, but it unnerved her.

”I do not really care if this is a crime scene or a not: we can wait for the authorities or we can take action, Varen.” Zaria looks to the floor, investigating it for any trace of the goo or anything else if interest.

1 hour ago, Kintobor said:

Zaria scowls in disgust. A growing knot twisted in her stomach. She wasn’t sure what she was looking at with the gooey mess between the dead man’s torso and legs, but it unnerved her.

”I do not really care if this is a crime scene or a not: we can wait for the authorities or we can take action, Varen.” Zaria looks to the floor, investigating it for any trace of the goo or anything else if interest.

"I'm not saying we wait for authorities, let's just not contaminate anything, just in case we get caught here."

50 minutes ago, KotZ said:

"I'm not saying we wait for authorities, let's just not contaminate anything, just in case we get caught here."

"Then let us not get caught here." Zaria replies. "If keeping us safe means I need to disturb this crime scene, I am going to disturb the crime scene."

1 hour ago, KotZ said:

"That's all well and good BUT I think its ok for us to do our best to not become PART of the crime scene and sharing the same fate as these crew members."

Kirwin picks up a small piece of non metal debris from the hallway and tosses it near the body on the table.

3 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Zaria Perception Check (DC 3) - 5, 5, 6 (Three successes)

Zaria searches around the sick bay, and finds more of the viscous fluid on the floor by the stretcher. A few medical tools also seem to be scattered about. An electronic note is on the floor beside the computer, apparently a reminder that had long since fallen off the desk.

16 minutes ago, karmajay said:

Kirwin picks up a small piece of non metal debris from the hallway and tosses it near the body on the table.

Neither the body nor the fluid substance appear to respond to the intrusion of the debris.

34 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

Zaria Perception Check (DC 3) - 5, 5, 6 (Three successes)

Zaria searches around the sick bay, and finds more of the viscous fluid on the floor by the stretcher. A few medical tools also seem to be scattered about. An electronic note is on the floor beside the computer, apparently a reminder that had long since fallen off the desk.

Neither the body nor the fluid substance appear to respond to the intrusion of the debris.

Zaria, intrigued, grabs the note off the floor and reads it while squatting, but not before looking to the debris as it lands near her. The noise it makes draws her attention, looking around and pivoting towards Kirwin.

"I believe you and I share the same sentiment, Kirwin, but I wouldn't be worried about the corpse. Corpses are usually harmless... usually." Zaria lingered on the thought of the deceased crew turning undead, but turned her attention to the note while she had the opportunity.

55 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

Zaria, intrigued, grabs the note off the floor and reads it while squatting, but not before looking to the debris as it lands near her.

The note reads as follows:

REMINDER:
Follow up with Greenlaw ASAP! Send her all the data on Bugsy! Maybe send last recording? Try and get a corridor pass from Joan?? 

Zaria shows off the note she found to everyone in the room, standing up to do so. "Any of this mean anything to anyone?"

Merei leaves the arm where she found it, not wanting to separate it too drastically from the body it belongs to. Before she leaves, however, if she is close enough to the body, if it is not under too much debris, she checks to see if it had any means to cause an explosion and collapse of the tunnel. Returning to the others she looks at the note. "It doesn't mean anything to me, no. But we didn't ask the name of anyone on this ship. Apparently corridor passes were something one must request, though. And we now have some names. Greenlaw. Bugsby. Joan. I think in our very short time aboard we can already begin to draw the conclusion that something horrible happened here. Remain very alert. Have we checked this room for supplies? Once we have, I think it is best we head directly to either the Head or Engineering. Carefully."

"The names don't ring any bells. I almost expected a Daria, the woman I talked to at port. Like sending something to her as an emergency when things go sideways. As Merei said, let's search the room for supplies."

4 hours ago, Zepher said:

Before she leaves, however, if she is close enough to the body, if it is not under too much debris, she checks to see if it had any means to cause an explosion and collapse of the tunnel. 

Merei Perception Check (DC 1) - 1, 4, 7 (One success)

Looking closer at the body, Merei is unable to find any sort of explosives. She does, however, locate a Hart dog tag, labelling the man as Greg R. Wood.

2 hours ago, KotZ said:

"The names don't ring any bells. I almost expected a Daria, the woman I talked to at port. Like sending something to her as an emergency when things go sideways. As Merei said, let's search the room for supplies."

Varen Perception Check (DC 1) - 6, 2, 6 (Two successes)

In the light of the still-active computer, Varen is able to search through the drawers of the desk and finds a Plasma Potion.

5 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Merei Perception Check (DC 1) - 1, 4, 7 (One success)

Looking closer at the body, Merei is unable to find any sort of explosives. She does, however, locate a Hart dog tag, labelling the man as Greg R. Wood.

Varen Perception Check (DC 1) - 6, 2, 6 (Two successes)

In the light of the still-active computer, Varen is able to search through the drawers of the desk and finds a Plasma Potion.

ooc: So do we see Varen pass close to the body?

Zaria makes her way to the computer monitor and examines it, looking to see if any information can be immediately gleamed from it. 

“Anyone here have more than a cursory knowledge of these… computers?” It was apparent that Zaria was less than knowledgeable about what she was handling.

6 hours ago, karmajay said:

ooc: So do we see Varen pass close to the body?

MM Note: Since you were all pretty insistent on keeping some distance, I'm going to rule that Varen doesn't interact too closely with the area around the body, but you do see him pass that way at one point and the body does not seem to react.

3 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Zaria makes her way to the computer monitor and examines it, looking to see if any information can be immediately gleamed from it. 

Looking at the holographic display, Zaria sees an emergency warning displayed upon the screen:

NOTICE:
The system has undergone an unscheduled shut-down. Ship-wide communications now operating on backup power!
As standard procedure, the last 3 recorded messages have been stored in backup files. Here are your messages:

<08/27|0430> [Personal Recording: Dr Jamie C. Luce]
<08/29|1027> [Incoming Interior Message: Assistant Engineer Artemis Callaghan]
<09/01|0942> [Personal Recording: Dr Jamie C. Luce]

Would you like to playback recordings?

4 hours ago, Kintobor said:

“Anyone here have more than a cursory knowledge of these… computers?” It was apparent that Zaria was less than knowledgeable about what she was handling.

"Kirwin or myself may be of some help." Merei walks forward and peers at the monitor. "The figure in the Hall was Greg R. Wood, by the way. Our number of names is increasing. Jamie C. Luce. Artemis Callaghan. Greg R. Wood. And our aforementioned trio as well. I am worried the more names we learn, the more fatalities we are adding to this list. At this point I'm just hoping we find someone alive." She says the final part rather pointedly at Varen. "Do you think the figure there, on the medical bed, is Bugsby? And our letter was written by Jamie?" She halts, and lowers her voice to admonish herself. "No. We don't know anything truly, yet. Find all the pieces before trying to put them together," she mutters as she plays all three recordings.