I've been a long time lurker here and decided to finally bite the bullet and post. I don't know how tagging works or what the etiquette is for this site yet, so feel free to yell at me for that stuff it I miss something or whatever.

Anyway I've been posting stuff on twitter and other places for a while now but I thought I would break the ice here finally. So here is my most recent build, its all digital for now until I have the funds to actually start building my models.

But here is my Railway Series inspired Thomas the Tank Engine.

31.5 studs long buffer to buffer. he's a long boy, so the couplings swivel atm to make it around bends with rolling stock. currently I doubt they will work for pushing, but ill find a solution to that when I build the model physically. pulling should be fine.

15 stud wheelbase from the center of the wheels. (I know the middle isn't a blind in the images and that a physical build would require it)

Fully motorized with a PF M motor and an IR receiver and powered by a normal 9v Battery with an adaptor wire.

Full decorated cab interior.

I've also done my best to make sure he's build out of parts that actually exist and actually physically buildable and legal. This model does have a single illegal technique, the hands holding the flex tube on the left side of the boiler.

FCL7yjYXsAEnAMS?format=png&name=900x900

FCL7z35X0AUvx33?format=png&name=900x900

FCL71VPWEAAhIwU?format=png&name=900x900

FCL9H4wWEAcXrfY?format=png&name=900x900

That looks really good! It looks like a real locomotive rather than stylized Thomas, but I assume that is what you are going for. Some nice use of bricks for steam and smoke details too. That looks to be standard L gauge, no? The track colors threw me off for a second. If you keep building like that nobody will believe that you are new to Eurobricks (grin).

2 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

That looks really good! It looks like a real locomotive rather than stylized Thomas, but I assume that is what you are going for. Some nice use of bricks for steam and smoke details too. That looks to be standard L gauge, no? The track colors threw me off for a second. If you keep building like that nobody will believe that you are new to Eurobricks (grin).

Yup that's the goal! The real engines the characters are based off of. I much prefer the real things over the stylized simplifications they use for the show or some of the railway series art. And yes, standard L gauge. the custom track just looks better in renders than that giant grey slab LEGO calls track lol.

Thanks! I feel like the praise Isn't deserved because I've really not been doing this all that long. I tired my best to add as many of the details I saw on the images of the real E2 as physically possible, so I just brute forced parts with trial and error until something worked to my liking and I've really learned a lot doing it that way. Thomas is only one of a few things I've built/am building but I figured it was a good first one to post.

That's a really nice model! :thumbup:

I suppose you work with Stud.io? In that case, I think the renders would look even better if you changed the program setting from "orthogonal" to "perspective" (under "View" -> "Orientation").

5 hours ago, ivanlan9 said:

There are no links to pix.

Metta,

Ivan

I was having a hard time figure out how to get them in the post and forgot. ive got everything on my twitter atm so that's the only place i can link to.

3 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

That's a really nice model! :thumbup:

I suppose you work with Stud.io? In that case, I think the renders would look even better if you changed the program setting from "orthogonal" to "perspective" (under "View" -> "Orientation").

yeah Stud.io. I didn't even know you could do that, good to know thank you. I'll have to try it out next time I make some renders.

And there are no links to twitter.  How come others can see images to discuss them, but for me there's nothing:  no links, no images, no text saying, "Go to X and search for Y," only blanks.

Metta,

Ivan

33 minutes ago, ivanlan9 said:

How come others can see images to discuss them, but for me there's nothing:  no links, no images, no text saying, "Go to X and search for Y," only blanks.

Maybe you have blocked displaying external content in your browser settings?

43 minutes ago, ivanlan9 said:

And there are no links to twitter.  How come others can see images to discuss them, but for me there's nothing:  no links, no images, no text saying, "Go to X and search for Y," only blanks.

Metta,

Ivan

I don't know what to tell you. its all working for me and others. well if it helps, my username on twitter is the same as here.

I have an ad blocker, but have it turned off for Eurobricks. I also don't have external content blocked (that would put a serious dent in browsing!).  I see lots of others' external content with no issues at all.

In other places, I will often see a blank spot but with text that says, "View this content on Twitter," which gives me a link to click on.  But I've never seen that with Eurobricks. ...

I do Facebook but not Twitter.  I can try searching there, I suppose, as long as I don't have to sign up. ...  Your username is "The Lego Railway Series"?

Metta,

Ivan

On 10/21/2021 at 2:00 PM, The Lego Railway Series said:

Thanks! I feel like the praise Isn't deserved because I've really not been doing this all that long. I tired my best to add as many of the details I saw on the images of the real E2 as physically possible, so I just brute forced parts with trial and error until something worked to my liking and I've really learned a lot doing it that way. Thomas is only one of a few things I've built/am building but I figured it was a good first one to post.

Fine, I take it all back then... no, just kidding. Doesn't matter how long you've been doing it, it's good work. For me at least it seems that brute force and banging on it until you find the pieces that fit is the key to so many good builds.

Meanwhile, I would encourage you to set up a flickr account or similar to share your train builds in a centralized fashion. Regardless, looking forward to seeing more of your builds.

@Tenderlok Yes!  Thank you!

@zephyr1934 is right, that's good work. I'm no fan of steam, but this build is both charming and clever.  Great fun!

And yes, please, get yourself a Flickr account.  Even I have one!  It's not used, but it's there if I need it. :grin: