Port Wilks, June, 621

51567440104_a51350acac_z.jpg

It has been some time since we've seen our young first mate - now captain of the Fog-Breaker - Myles Bowditch, but in the last few years he managed to build up a little fortune in trading both for himself and for the ETWC, and now with a part of that - inspired, possibly, by the activity around the new ETWC agent just arrived in the area - he had just built and outfitted a new flour mill on the river that skirts the Port Wilks settlement. 

51567439609_208d413c32_z.jpg

It was bright and early one morning soon after the mill had been fitted out and begun to run that Myles stood awaiting the arrival of a certain well-known and eccentric Eslandolan captain, and as the sound of a coach's wheels rattling along the path met his ears he looked up to see Captain Whiffo rolling up in a carriage that probably belonged to the mayor (if you know why then kudos for following the storyline and having a crazy good memory! :grin: :tongue:).

DSC00992.JPG

"Well, Captain Bowditch - so things have been sailing fairly with you, mate?" inquired Captain Whiffo after the first cordialities were dispensed with. 

"Excellently indeed, captain," reply our hero, "but I'm afraid the sinking of our one company's ship seems to have been a bit of a damper on the general spirits."

"Oh right - the WSWHPTOE.  'Twas a most unfortunate turn for it to go down on its first expedition," Captain Whiffo stroked his chin thoughtfully.

"I think it was the WDTPTOE?"

"Right," replied Captain Whiffo, shaking his head - "the WDTSTOP.  At any rate, whatever they named it we really ought to sistership it promptly, and the Henri as well.  Arr, but have I been out of a ship for too long!"

DSC00993.JPG

"Indeed," replied Myles pensively (thinking, perhaps, about how difficult it would be to spell the WDTPTOE II - of was it the WDTSTOE II?)

"I heard you bought some tulips recently, Capt'n?"

"Oh yes, quite the rage," replied Captain Whiffo contentedly, quite happy to hear that the news had got about.  "Now there is a notion for the cargo of the WDTPTOS II!"

"Not a bad idea at all," Myles answered, beginning to pace up and down, "I might have to buy a cargo hold of it for the Fog-Breaker's next voyage as well."

"A capital idea," and Captain Whiffo began to clang his saber in his hook, as he always did when excited upon the subject of capital, "just the thing once we get the ETWC once more to its rightful place plying the trading seas!"

DSC01004.JPG

"Have you heard of the new currency in Corrington?" asked Captain Bowditch after some more details had been satisfactorily settled.  

"No."

"You wouldn't like to," laughed Myles, his mind running on schillings and six-pnence.

The clanging stopped and Captain Whiffo's face grew serious, for the topic of money always was extraordinarily important to him - but ask as he would he could get no more out of Myles about it, for the young captain had decided he'd rather not be around when that explosion took place.  

A few more details later the two parted ways amiably, the one to prepare his vessel for its next voyage and the other to ask everyone he met about the new currency until he had gotten to the bottom of it.

But unbeknownst to them, a small, unseen pair of ears had been listening carefully all this while.

DSC01010.JPG

"Pieces of eight!" ejaculated Captain Nordau's parrot softly in surprise, with a low whistle...

Hey y'all!  Another build from me - I really wanted to use this waterwheel for BoBS after building it for the Summer Joust and am really happy with how the scene came together!  So fun to use a bunch of Kai's yellow leaves as well! :grin: :laugh:  Otherwise just a medium mill for Port Wilks and a list of all the stuff I need to build for my convenience (and to help me remember)! :tongue: :laugh: - and a sistership build for the Henri (now the Whiffo's Riposte).  Haven't forgot about Captain Whiffo's duel storyline either, but it's about time that one way or another we finally get our captain back on the seas! :pir-classic:

Thanks for viewing, C&C are welcome as always!

Stunning @Garmadon! I've been admiring this one on Flickr for a few weeks. I really like the use of the big 3x3 round pieces for the rocks and the upside down plates for the roof. What mechanism did you use to attach the upside down plates? Are they just sitting on top with the studs holding them in place?

Nice and well and elaborately built watermill. I like the first floor with the wood and stone combination. Interesting story that also includes tulips and currency. Captain Nordau's parrot will have a lot to tell.

Very nice house, great walls. With, as already said, a terrific roof !

And clever cantilever corbelled wooden parts as well !

The base is gorgeous too.

anyway, the whole is wonderful !

What an incredible build! The color scheme, the details on the building, the round rocks. Everything is so we'll done!!!

Brilliant work Garm, I've been waiting for this one to drop here since you published on Flickr! I really love the inverted plates as roof tiles. I've experimented with this idea in the past, but nothing ever made it to the production stage! How are they attached? I suspected it might be via nets, but I don't see any net ends visible. The large round bley pieces make for really good looking rockwork and that is a cleverly done waterwheel. Lastly, great call borrowing the leaves - you can't go wrong with yellow leaves! All round great work!

12 hours ago, Garmadon said:

by the activity around the new ETWC agent just arrived in the area

Speaking of which, I must get back to him! I've just had some interesting clone brand wild boars arrive from China which are begging to make an appearance on pig island! Actually this build is giving me lots of great ideas for Port Wilks.

It's a lovely waterwheel, the dark blue roof is of course top notch and it does go super well with the autumn leaves.  Great stonework and rockwork too, the only thing I wish is that the pictures weren't quite so blue. :pir-grin:

This must be the absolutely best version of a watermill yet as I believe it has near perfectly dimensions (aka "wood" thickness)! We really need a building guide!

Coming with a really detailed building, fantastic rockwork and an era appropriate carriage helps tremendously too!!!

:pir-love:

"Not bad", the English would say expressing extreme euphoria :pir_laugh2:

And I can only agree with them.

This is a great, very atmospheric build. Good combination of aesthetic feel and brilliant building abilities. :pir-huzzah2:

On 10/20/2021 at 12:18 PM, evancelt said:

Stunning @Garmadon! I've been admiring this one on Flickr for a few weeks. I really like the use of the big 3x3 round pieces for the rocks and the upside down plates for the roof. What mechanism did you use to attach the upside down plates? Are they just sitting on top with the studs holding them in place?

Thanks evan, appreciate the compliments!  I've been wanting to crack out those huge rock pieces for a while and this seemed like a great opportunity!  As to the roof, I've got a little tutorial of sorts here (as I've got asked that a lot :pir-grin:)!

Spoiler

Basic side view.  As you can see, about every other 1x2 plate is not completely pushed down (but still quite well attached), both so that the white doesn't show through on the outside and to get the more consistent shingling texture going up.

Roof%20Technique%20%281%29.JPG

Once you've got a bunch of those you can start connecting them together to form the roof, angling each line up or down a little using the little bit of flexibility you can get using 1x2 plates on the backside.

Roof%20Technique%20%282%29.JPG

Here's what it looks like from the back.  Just make sure that when you go to connect it to the building you get ahold of two or more lines that in the same position as each other so that your whole roof isn't tilted!  (e.g. you could attach it from the first and third rows on the left here via 1x1 rounds and then a longer plate or something of that sort).

Roof%20Technique%20%283%29.JPG

Yep, it is quite parts intensive, :grin: :laugh:  The good news is that (unless you're crazy and want to do a complete interior too! :pir-grin:) the plates on the underside are completely invisible except maybe a few on the edge/gable, so a rainbow down there is perfectly fine! :laugh:

On 10/20/2021 at 2:51 PM, NOD said:

Nice and well and elaborately built watermill. I like the first floor with the wood and stone combination. Interesting story that also includes tulips and currency. Captain Nordau's parrot will have a lot to tell.

Thank you, and of course! :pir-huzzah2:  Tulips are all the rage right now :pir-grin:

And yes, Captain Nordau will obviously be very happy to have all this information.  We'll have to see what comes of it... :pir-classic:

On 10/20/2021 at 3:53 PM, Professor Thaum said:

Very nice house, great walls. With, as already said, a terrific roof !

And clever cantilever corbelled wooden parts as well !

The base is gorgeous too.

anyway, the whole is wonderful !

Thanks Professor! :pir-blush:  I loved working with the wooden parts, especially those protruding beams, and as I said above, it was lots of fun getting to use those big rock-work pieces as well!  Aw, glad you liked it! :pir-sweet:

On 10/20/2021 at 4:16 PM, Spud The Viking said:

Brilliant build, and great banter throughout!

The upturned plates work very well as roof tiles!

:pir-laugh: Thanks mate!  Glad you enjoyed it!

On 10/20/2021 at 8:22 PM, CapOnBOBS said:

What an incredible build! The color scheme, the details on the building, the round rocks. Everything is so well done!!!

Thanks Cap! :wub:

On 10/20/2021 at 11:53 PM, Ayrlego said:

Brilliant work Garm, I've been waiting for this one to drop here since you published on Flickr! I really love the inverted plates as roof tiles. I've experimented with this idea in the past, but nothing ever made it to the production stage! How are they attached? I suspected it might be via nets, but I don't see any net ends visible. The large round bley pieces make for really good looking rockwork and that is a cleverly done waterwheel. Lastly, great call borrowing the leaves - you can't go wrong with yellow leaves! All round great work!

Speaking of which, I must get back to him! I've just had some interesting clone brand wild boars arrive from China which are begging to make an appearance on pig island! Actually this build is giving me lots of great ideas for Port Wilks.

Thanks Ayrlego, yeah, I've been wanting to do a roof like this for a long time, but I don't have nearly enough tiles to do those and barely enough 1x2 plates in a decent color either, but these in dark blue have been begging to be used like this for a year or two now and just waiting for me to think up a way to attach them!  Nope, not nets (don't have nearly enough of those either, sadly!) - they're actually just simple lines of plates varied up and down on the backside (yes, that's a terrible explanation - hence why I decided to take pics to explain, haha, check the spoiler above! :grin: :laugh:)  And yes, love those yellow leaves! :wub:  Hope Kai doesn't mind somebody borrrowing them a bit more in the future... :innocent: :laugh:

Ooh, that sounds great - not familiar with the clone boars but looking forward to it!  I've been wanting to do something with that pig rumor for a long time - gotta scrounge around and see how many pigs I can get together here! :grin:  It's about time Port Wilks gets some love (from me in particular, I mean! :laugh:)!

On 10/21/2021 at 5:51 PM, Kai NRG said:

It's a lovely waterwheel, the dark blue roof is of course top notch and it does go super well with the autumn leaves.  Great stonework and rockwork too, the only thing I wish is that the pictures weren't quite so blue. :pir-grin:

Thanks Kai, I do love this color scheme!  And yes, you're totally right about the blue - didn't notice how bad it was until I was posting them here and then I was too lazy to try to edit them :grin: 

On 10/22/2021 at 3:44 AM, blackdeathgr said:

This must be the absolutely best version of a watermill yet as I believe it has near perfectly dimensions (aka "wood" thickness)! We really need a building guide!

Coming with a really detailed building, fantastic rockwork and an era appropriate carriage helps tremendously too!!!

:pir-love:

Aw, thanks mate!  I actually hadn't meant for the watermill to be nearly this big (I built it before any landscape to go with it) but was just going with my inspiration pic and it kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger!  Really happy with how it turned out, and I really am flattered by your compliments but I really haven't built nearly enough buildings myself! :blush: - for some reason they seem to be the thing I build least overall (not including interiors, now that I do a lot of).  I'm not sure why, but I really should do them more often and round myself out as a builder a bit more! :pir-sweet:

And yes :pir-grin:  I love that carriage (a slightly modified version of the PoTC one) and usually have it just sitting around on my desk waiting for a build to be put in so of course I had to include it here! 

On 10/24/2021 at 6:59 AM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

"Not bad", the English would say expressing extreme euphoria :pir_laugh2:

And I can only agree with them.

This is a great, very atmospheric build. Good combination of aesthetic feel and brilliant building abilities. :pir-huzzah2:

:rofl: :iamded_lol: Thanks so much Captain, such high praise! :blush:  Always glad to hear you like it!!!

On 10/26/2021 at 5:54 AM, Ross Fisher said:

That's a fantastic build. Really nicely done. 

Thanks Ross! :pir-sweet:  Here's hoping to keep it up! 

17 hours ago, Garmadon said:

I really should do them more often and round myself out as a builder a bit more!

Yes please!

On 10/21/2021 at 5:53 AM, Ayrlego said:

I've just had some interesting clone brand wild boars arrive from China which are begging to make an appearance on pig island!

Join the club! :pir-tongue: Goats aren't that good since armor won't take off but boars with detachable saddles are beasts of their own and easily usable anywhere! TLG better read our comments and come out with more varied molds!!!

5 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Yes please!

Join the club! :pir-tongue: Goats aren't that good since armor won't take off but boars with detachable saddles are beasts of their own and easily usable anywhere! TLG better read our comments and come out with more varied molds!!! 

Exactly! Although with the boar, I've discovered that when you remove the saddle the hole created is too big for a 1x2 tile but too small for a 2x2 tile - very frustrating!

Spoiler

51634926407_475284c70b.jpg