Ayrlego

[GoC ] Semaphore Telegraph Station, Port Woodhouse

On a small island in the Garma Strait, the Royal Navy operates a semaphore optical telegraph, sending information on shipping in the busy strait back to the mainland and Port Woodhouse. The system was adapted in the Garma Strait after authorities received reports of the success of the stations on Hussar's Isle.

51610520125_f9fbc55c48_c.jpg

Recently I started to play around with layers in GIMP to remove the backgrounds on my builds - I like to have a perfectly white background but often my builds with a lot of white bricks appeared over exposed or washed out when I tried to achieve this. Mostly due to my constant frustration I recently tried a new method on a GoH build and now wanted to try it on something a bit bigger. So what better than a typical Port Woodhouse scene! I am very pleased with the results, although the top arm of the telegraph isn't perfect. 

Built for GoC task 4 - Purser's Network, build one. Not sure what I will license it as - maybe commerce? It will be licensed for the faction.

A lovely build, everything feels right in the scene, but more fleshies!? :pir-oh3::pir-laugh:

I also use GIMP for my photos, I shall need to look into how to remove the background without the overexposed white also being removed!

Nice build! This is a :thumbup: from me for GoC! Love the yellowed whites in the mix. The little touches of green around the base really pull the entire build together with some color.

As @Professor Thaum said, great continuation of the semaphore tower idea. I like the stud look on the mast that you used here as opposed to my rectangular tile method in the Hussar's Isle build.

What's your GIMP technique to remove backgrounds? The edges around the top arm are a little rough, but the outcome is good overall! Definitely richer colors this way - not as blown out.

I shoot against a plainish background and then use remove.bg to get rid of most of the background. If it it removes too much, I then touch up the foreground layer to add back parts it may have removed by accident. I also use Camera Raw in photoshop to mess with lighting and shadows per Mark of Falworths guide on Youtube.

The building with the telegraph on the tower has a nice architecture. The scene looks alive with the soldiers and accessories.

Somehow I had missed Evancelt's semaphore so I thought this was new to BoBS--in any case, it's a fun bit of technology to see make its way into our world.  Lovely job on the rest of the build, I particularly like the small amount of light grey at the bottom of the house, and the way you kept the green plates on the SNOT sections of the base on either side but away from the center.

A lovely build as usual! The terrain is nice, just enough around but also clean for the army to move around. The non-symmetrical building is great with the red roof, and the tree in the background helps break up all the white building from the white background.

Overall a :thumbup: from me!