Alex Ilea

[WIP] Apricus V8 Supercar- Final Update!

On 11/5/2021 at 11:29 AM, Brickend said:

22 hours ago, sm1995 said:

19 hours ago, Hrafn said:

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

On 11/5/2021 at 11:31 AM, Gray Gear said:

@IA creations I like JDM tuner cars. There is just something about a nice cooling setup that is visible from the outside. It just looks awesome, like big brakes or GT wings. I know this is a NA V8 so there isn't really a need for a big intercooler, but I still think a upgraded Radiator could look good behind these front vents. It would give them some "purpose" too :wink:

That’s a cool idea! I would need some mesh pieces to make that happen… I thought about adding a huge wing to the car but I think a duck tail will suffice.

Hi,

here's an update on the front, I added some vents:

800x600.jpeg

Although I really like the smaller intakes, I am not sure on the main big one, what are your thoughts?

Anyways, I've also done some work of the doors and I am happy with the result:

800x600.jpeg

800x600.jpeg

Also I reworked the front bumper to make it sturdy (so not it is safe to pick the car from the front bumper/spoiler).

Here's an underside shot: 

800x600.jpeg

The hood and headlights need an internal rework and the hood needs some sort of prop rod:

800x600.jpeg

That's all for now, thanks for viewing!

I really like those headlights :wub:, using the 13x3 panel is a stroke of genius. The airintakes I am less sold on. What happens if you turn the small panel at the bottom of the side intake 90 degrees (or replace it with a combination of #1 connectors and axle-joiners? That downward slope to the middle somehow feels wrong to me.

The front airintake could maybe benefit from a continuous orange line at the top. Now there is a 2 stud gap between the hood and the headlight. Adding an orange #1 connector or 2L axle-joiner will make that area more continuous.

36 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

I really like those headlights :wub:, using the 13x3 panel is a stroke of genius. The airintakes I am less sold on. What happens if you turn the small panel at the bottom of the side intake 90 degrees (or replace it with a combination of #1 connectors and axle-joiners? That downward slope to the middle somehow feels wrong to me.

The front airintake could maybe benefit from a continuous orange line at the top. Now there is a 2 stud gap between the hood and the headlight. Adding an orange #1 connector or 2L axle-joiner will make that area more continuous.

Thank you so much! This means a lot coming from a pro like you.

I do agree the intakes still need some work. And about the orange line, my original front view(before building it sturdy) had the #1 conectors to cover the gaps, but I removed them for now as the connection interfered with the bumper.

Update time!

Today I want to show some progress on the bodywork (sides and front intake): 

800x600.jpeg

800x600.jpeg

The side view must be my favorite shot, it just looks right imo:

800x600.jpeg

I spent a lot of time on the intakes behind the front wheels and in the end I ended up with that simple design which looks cool.

Here's a top view and a rear 3/4:

800x600.jpeg

800x600.jpeg

Next I need to rebuild some sections properly, add some details and build the rear part. (Maybe I will do a cover for the trunk?)

Thank you for viewing!

This is coming along very nicely. I want to ride this hot machine around town !

My only concern is the area around the rear wheel arch ... but on the other hand, it has nice flowing lines in the side view, so maybe it's fine as is.

4 hours ago, iLego said:

This is coming along very nicely. I want to ride this hot machine around town !

Thank you!

Just seeing this submission and loving what I am seeing. Few questions.... I hope you haven't already answered these.  I did read through the whole post, but I would not put it past me to miss something.  :laugh:

"Apricus" - why this name?  Do you have a plan for this vehicle so that the car fits it name somehow?   I guess it looks somewhat light, smaller, aggressive, like an Mercedes-AMG GT, but the AMG-GT (and this car, to me at least) is also aggressive, somewhat menacing.  "Apricus" as I understand it is more sunny, light, akin to spring and warm and cute bunnies etc.... rather than like how I see an AMG GT.  If I had to pick a season to reflect the AMG I would pick summer, the dead of summer... hot, mean, aggressive, sweltering... perhaps a little ornery.  Perhaps your car more fits that description.   I dunno.... 

Also, I love the orange. Do you know how much of the bodywork panels will come from 42056?  I have 42056, sitting on my shelf, don't really like it... and would love to take it apart and build this if there is a lot of shared parts....

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

Just seeing this submission and loving what I am seeing. Few questions.... I hope you haven't already answered these.  I did read through the whole post, but I would not put it past me to miss something.  :laugh:

"Apricus" - why this name?  Do you have a plan for this vehicle so that the car fits it name somehow?   I guess it looks somewhat light, smaller, aggressive, like an Mercedes-AMG GT, but the AMG-GT (and this car, to me at least) is also aggressive, somewhat menacing.  "Apricus" as I understand it is more sunny, light, akin to spring and warm and cute bunnies etc.... rather than like how I see an AMG GT.  If I had to pick a season to reflect the AMG I would pick summer, the dead of summer... hot, mean, aggressive, sweltering... perhaps a little ornery.  Perhaps your car more fits that description.   I dunno.... 

Also, I love the orange. Do you know how much of the bodywork panels will come from 42056?  I have 42056, sitting on my shelf, don't really like it... and would love to take it apart and build this if there is a lot of shared parts....

First of all, thank you for the kind words!

Secondly, I was just looking on the internet for cool words in latin when trying to come up with a name for this build, and that one seemed pretty cool to me. From the begining I wanted a car that would, on one hand, have a violent design, and on the other, be beautiful and well proportioned. I am really happy how that vision turned into reality! (It somehow looks much better in real life than in photos)

I still have a lot to work on this MOC, especially on the rear. I will resume work when I get back home from vacation.

Lately I am trying to use a new color every  big MOC I am building, so orange was chosen for this one! There are a lot of shared parts, even in the chassis if you switch some colors (I am obsessed with a full black chassis).

Hope this clarified you questions..

Thank you for your interest and time!

So complrx and realistic headlights, but where are the rear ones? Doy ou plan to design them?

I really liked this from the start. There is just something about a crude mass of axles, gears and liftarms fitted in to create these complex mechanisms that makes this model so attractive. And then that lovely bodywork! I absolutely adore the mix of Orange and Black, with the occasional DBG mixed in. The curves are nice, but there are some slight gaps. Overall everything looks amazing. I can't wait to see the finished product. 

On 11/30/2021 at 5:23 PM, nerdsforprez said:

Well, I am liking what I am seeing.  If instructions were made I likely would build this as well.  Be nice to replace my 42056...

I think you might have a have a replacement ;)

20 hours ago, Aleh said:

So complrx and realistic headlights, but where are the rear ones? Doy ou plan to design them?

Of course! I was brainstorming something like a thin long strip like a bugatti chiron, but I think I need to be creative and not just copy something.

14 hours ago, Scoar Sonander said:

I really liked this from the start. There is just something about a crude mass of axles, gears and liftarms fitted in to create these complex mechanisms that makes this model so attractive. And then that lovely bodywork! I absolutely adore the mix of Orange and Black, with the occasional DBG mixed in. The curves are nice, but there are some slight gaps. Overall everything looks amazing. I can't wait to see the finished product. 

Thank you! I always enjoyed creating dense builds in technic, they feel good when you look at them, when you pick them up… I also really like the color combo as well! From a visual inspection I think the car can be built in red, white and black.

4 hours ago, IA creations said:

Of course! I was brainstorming something like a thin long strip like a bugatti chiron, but I think I need to be creative and not just copy something.

Of course! This is just a matter of taste - I prefer wide rear lights for example :)

6 hours ago, IA creations said:

Not that anyone asked me, but... I love using those transparent bent liftarms... Tacky like the rest of my tastes! :grin:

85x85p.jpg?1626717779.4500723

Hi everyone!

I am really excited to post (probably) the last update of this build! The model just needs some details to be finished and it will be ready. Since the last update I have built the rear end (I can still take suggestions if you have any), secured all of the panels (besides the ones under the tail lights), added a hood prop, gear display (it needs stickers) and trunk cover: 

800x600.JPG

Side view:

800x600.JPG

Rear end:

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

Trunk and hood prop:

800x600.JPG

And finally the gear display, which is a square brick built element, and I added a red tooth to make it more clear which gear is engaged (upwards position):

800x600.jpg

As always, thank you for viewing and any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Very nice overall! I'm not convinced about the rear window, though--it looks too solid to me, like there'd be no rear visibility, which would be unusual for a front-engine car. Maybe that's not something you can change, but it's not a big deal.

That looks quite cool. You have some great panelwork skills. The lights are shaped very well, and I like the (300SL inspired?) grille on the sides. My only real complaint is that the hood/bonnet/engine cover/whatever you call it, is quite boring. Some kind of air intake or grille would work well there. The soft axles also stick out a bit far above the wheels, but you do have the adjustable ride height so guess that doesn't really matter.

15 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Very nice overall! I'm not convinced about the rear window, though--it looks too solid to me, like there'd be no rear visibility, which would be unusual for a front-engine car. Maybe that's not something you can change, but it's not a big deal.

Thank you! I thought about that myself but I think it looks way cooler this way.

14 hours ago, LvdH said:

That looks quite cool. You have some great panelwork skills. The lights are shaped very well, and I like the (300SL inspired?) grille on the sides. My only real complaint is that the hood/bonnet/engine cover/whatever you call it, is quite boring. Some kind of air intake or grille would work well there. The soft axles also stick out a bit far above the wheels, but you do have the adjustable ride height so guess that doesn't really matter.

Thanks! Unintentionally it turned out be a similar side grille design.

14 hours ago, GerritvdG said:

Really impressive and nice photographed. 

13 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

I really like the L-Panel over the exhaust tips. Looks great!

10 hours ago, Scoar Sonander said:

*huh*

Thanks everyone!