Alex Ilea

[WIP] Apricus V8 Supercar- Final Update!

Hello everyone,

Today I present you a new supercar I am building, Apricus V8...

800x600.jpeg

Features:

-suspension on all wheels with caster angle

-adjustable ride height

-HoG with working steering wheel

-4 speed vertical gearbox with paddles 

-working mini V8 engine

800x600.jpeg

800x600.jpeg

I am planning that on top of these advanced features, I will create a violent design for the bodywork, which will be in orange most likely with a black roof. This project has been in the making for about 2 months as of now and I am really happy with it so far. Some parts of this car are really crazy IMO, for example the steering, which has so many extra gears just get a HoG in...

800x600.jpeg

When I first thought of building this concept car I was worried abut the feasibility of this project, since the "extra" features are some quite intricate brain-twisters.

At last, here is a comparison between max and min of the suspension:

800x600.jpeg800x600.jpeg

And a close-up of the seats:

800x600.jpeg

Thank you for viewing!

Edited by IA creations

Hi!

Just did for fun a quick side view sketch of what I imagine the real build would look like:

800x600.jpeg

Thank you!

34 minutes ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

Somehow reminds me these

I did get inspiration from the dodge viper, but also from ferrari f12 and some aston martin cars. Thank you!

There is some Viper in there, but to me it's a C7 Corvette on the front and a Mercedes-AMG GT on the back.

Looks awesome by far, though I'm a bit worried how the bodywork will fit there, the front chassis takes up quite a lot of space.

I know, that's not the best edit ever but still it's at least a collage of those cars above made to the shape of @IA creations's sketch :sweet:

collage.png

I looked at the drawing several times and I must say, that the axles seem to be quite too far from each other, but again it's just an imagination how it could be, not the final car.

Wish you good luck in capturing those streamlined curves :wink:

Edited by MP LEGO Technic creations

I am conflicted on this one. I like the attempt to put so many funtions in a 1:10 car.

The suspension system is really impressive, from almost 2 studs lowereed to basically 0 is WOW. :thumbup:

But that steering setup has to be the most overcomplicated I have ever seen. Way too much gears and u-joints used, the play must be bad.

And what I dislike most is the design, but that's probably a personal thing. I can't stand cars that basically stop right behind the rear wheels. Looks like the rear was chopped off. Compare that to rear of the NA1 Honda NSX :drool:

Anyway, I will be waiting for the next update. Maybe you can change my mind :wink:

6 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

a Mercedes-AMG GT on the back.

On the money :)

6 hours ago, Lipko said:

Looks awesome by far, though I'm a bit worried how the bodywork will fit there, the front chassis takes up quite a lot of space.

Great point! I will see what can be done.

Thank you @MP LEGO Technic creations , but I can’t see the photo you posted.

48 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

The suspension system is really impressive, from almost 2 studs lowereed to basically 0 is WOW. :thumbup:

That part took the most time, it’s really difficult to make it so small and also pushrod style. When the car is lowered nothing touches the ground on a flat surface ( there is half a cm left I believe). You are right, the car should have more volume in the back, thanks for the point!

Hi! At first I thought you implemented front lights using those blue gears :laugh:

The chassis looks very complex! 
About the sketch - for my personal taste I would build a longer back only :)

Keep building and I/m keep looking for this thread now!

1 hour ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

Tried to fix it. Is it OK now?

Yes, thank you for your time!

1 hour ago, Aleh said:

Hi! At first I thought you implemented front lights using those blue gears :laugh:

The chassis looks very complex! 
About the sketch - for my personal taste I would build a longer back only :)

Keep building and I/m keep looking for this thread now!

Haha! It is for sure, I’ll do a quick video showcasing the features when I have time. Thanks for the feedback!

Looking good! Have you tested the suspension and steering system with some weight on it so simulate the bodywork weight? I always use 2L of Milk to stress test my chassis :grin:

In your case 1Liter should do it :wink:

9 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

In your case 1Liter should do it :wink:

I do 1L on my 1:8 cars :)) i think half a kg of body should be good enought

@IA creations I like to use system and technic for the bodywork, so my 1:8 cars are all over 3kg. But I do test at an earlier stage than this too. I just noticed the suspension looked quite soft, but thanks to your cool suspension system you won't get any fitment issues if the weight makes the car sag a little :grin::thumbup:

I also care did you develop the drivetrain (Gearbox + shifters) by yourself or took and upgrade somebody's solution?

14 hours ago, Aleh said:

I also care did you develop the drivetrain (Gearbox + shifters) by yourself or took and upgrade somebody's solution?

The gearbox is my own idea, it is a 4 speed that I built in 2019 for the Audi in my profile photo. And as for the shifter I tried myself to build a reliable one but with no succes, so I did a highly modified version of this (smaller, better paddles, secured steering wheel, more connection points): https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-66230/TechToth/simples-high-torque-paddles-shifters/#details 

Hi, 

here's an update on the car! I worked on the roof for the most part, to get a nice curvature and I reinforced it to make sure the bend is minimal when picking the car from it.

800x600.jpeg

Also worked on the interior/dashboard a bit:

800x600.jpeg

On the 2x4 plate a sticker can be applied...

I also played a bit with the bodywork, just to get a feel: 

800x600.jpeg

Next steps are to build the doors (I am not sure which style to use; butterfly, swan, regular, scissor), add a thing to show which gear is engaged and work on the front.

That's all for now!

On 10/22/2021 at 8:29 AM, IA creations said:

The gearbox is my own idea, it is a 4 speed that I built in 2019 for the Audi in my profile photo. And as for the shifter I tried myself to build a reliable one but with no succes, so I did a highly modified version of this (smaller, better paddles, secured steering wheel, more connection points): https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-66230/TechToth/simples-high-torque-paddles-shifters/#details 

Oh, my bad I've abandoned the forum for a several weeks. Cool that you can develop such a complex mechanism by yourself!

Do you have any progress of the car?

13 hours ago, Aleh said:

Do you have any progress of the car?

Yes I do ;) 

800x600.jpeg

800x600.jpeg

800x600.jpeg

Did quite a bit of work in the front, but almost everything needs to be reinforced...

I believe that the overall shape looks great but I dislike the headlights and the huge vents, they look purposeless imo, made just for looks...

Thank you!

I don't have anything to add, other than to say thanks for taking the time to share progress; I'm following this thread with interest :thumbup:.

@IA creations I like JDM tuner cars. There is just something about a nice cooling setup that is visible from the outside. It just looks awesome, like big brakes or GT wings. I know this is a NA V8 so there isn't really a need for a big intercooler, but I still think a upgraded Radiator could look good behind these front vents. It would give them some "purpose" too :wink:

Wow! IMO that is VERY good looking. I’m not sold on the proportions yet, but eagerly looking forward to seeing a rough build of the entire body before I judge.

The hood is gorgeous!  The overall proportions - especially the cabin being so far back - definitely give me Mercedes AMG GT vibes.