evancelt

[COR-OKT] Oktoberfest Joust, Punto Sur

Isabela Montegro had grown up in an Eslandolan castle surrounded by old suits of armor. Her family's history stretched back nearly a thousand years in that part of Eslandola.

As a young girl she had loved listening to her father tell stories of chivalrous knights and proud kings.

Now the proud wife of merchant Javier Montegro, Isabela lived in the Eslandolan settlement of Punto Sur.

In order to bring a smile to her face, her husband had built their new home to look like a miniature castle. On gorgeous summer days they would sip brandy on the roof parapets.

To celebrate Oktoberfest, the Montegros sponsored a local joust!

Two stablehands volunteered to be the knights and the Montegros provided blunt wooden lances and suits of armor.

The dragons were pitted against the lions, and much of the town came to cheer on the spectacle!

joust-1.jpg

joust-2.jpg

joust-3.jpg

joust-4.jpg

---------------------

OOC: My submission to the Oktoberfest 621 competition. I may have mistaken 'Classic' in the competition description for Classic Castle :pir-grin:

To be licensed as a medium residence in Punto Sur

This is funny!:pir_laugh2: Everything is possible at Oktoberfest. You have combined Brethren of the Brick Seas and Medieval. If you drink a lot of beer you can even see dragons flying.:dhappy:

Edited by NOD

5 hours ago, Spud The Viking said:

Nice incorporation of the castle pieces into your MOC! I like the dark red rooves.

I almost had to check I was on the right forum there :pir-grin:

Thanks! The roofs were hard to get working. I had originally intended to use 3x3 round dark red bricks or double-convex 75 deg slopes, but the dimensions of those castle panels didn't work out correctly for that.

The castle parts are part of something I'm pulling together for my kids for xmas

2 hours ago, NOD said:

This is funny!:pir_laugh2: Everything is possible at Oktoberfest. You have combined Brethren of the Brick Seas and Medieval. If you drink a lot of beer you can even see dragons flying.:dhappy:

The guys from the skunk build are here - the others are close enough to them that I assume they've since bathed!

3 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

For a moment there, I thought I wandered into the LEGO Castle Forum by mistake!

I made sure to only include pirate-y hats and a few muskets to cement that either time travel had occurred or this was a renn faire type dealie :pir-huzzah2:

I think this is our first Oktoberfest joust, and I love it! (Eslandians are known for their love of horses.) And you did a great job using the classic printed wall pieces in the build. Cool border with the varied slopes creating an uneven edge.

Fun build all around! :pir-huzzah2:

:pir-laugh:  This is a fun sight to see in BoBS, great little castle and a cool concept. :pir-grin:

On 10/18/2021 at 8:16 AM, Capt Wolf said:

I think this is our first Oktoberfest joust, and I love it! (Eslandians are known for their love of horses.) And you did a great job using the classic printed wall pieces in the build. Cool border with the varied slopes creating an uneven edge.

Fun build all around! :pir-huzzah2:

Thanks! The wall panels are light bley with dark bley decals applied to them (plain panels from Bricklink and then decals bought from the Brick Monarch store - highly recommend!). My castle sets from childhood are long gone, so when I started pulling together some castle pieces to gift to my kids for Xmas I decided light bley was going to be many times cheaper than the original light and dark grays. You can see the difference in color between the dark gray classic armor on the black knight versus the dark bley in the walls.

Here's a pic of the decal application process:

Spoiler

castle-decals.jpg

Yeah the border was fun! I recently ordered a few hundred various sized green slopes for an upcoming build and they happened to arrive at the same time as I was working on this one, so figured it would be an unusual way to set a "live edge" border.

On 10/18/2021 at 7:52 PM, Kai NRG said:

:pir-laugh:  This is a fun sight to see in BoBS, great little castle and a cool concept. :pir-grin:

Thanks! The castle did end up looking way smaller in the pictures than I had intended (more like a tree house / club house haha), but I think the intention is there and it could plausibly be the end of a much larger house that continues off screen.

Would be fun to see other renaissance faire type builds in BoBs. I'm always drawn to the idea of enlightenment-era people thinking about the past - vikings, knights, dinosaurs (dragons?!), cavemen, etc.

Edited by evancelt