XG BC

Octraintober 2021 e69 005 "Adolphine" (update: now in real bricks!/7720 recreation)

My model is basically done so here is the summary of the progess/background info about the prototype for it. First off all i will do the summary:

Summary:

It all started when @Paperinik77pk started his topic about the e69 "spielzeug" locomotive. i was thinking to make a really nice e69 locomotive myself. I did one as a kid but it obviously wouldnt hold up to moy standarts today. i always liked the e69 because it kinda looked like the crocodile but wasnt as big and i really like small locomotives. i then posted my thoughts about building the e69 in a more "realistic" fashion in the topic that @Paperinik77pk was posting his progress in and he really encouraged me to participate in this competition. I choose the 005 like him because of all of the locos in this "baureihe" this one looked the best to me. my first step was designing the basic shape of the loco:

octraintober 2021 first design

this is the first screenshot i took of the design. first model had the hoods non inset compared to the body. the whole loco was 6w in this step i tried to make the hoods 5w inorder to create the offset between the cab and the hoods fom the prototype but this resulted in an ugly gap because  the top half of the hoods is completely snotted. my next steps where primarily aimed at reducing the gaps:

next prototype for octaintober

as you can see here i was able to eliminate the gaps completely in this one. next up where improving the looks of the headlights and adding the vents:

next step of the way!

this further complicated the snot design. in this step i also added some details to the undercarrige of the model like improved looks of the snowploghs and the sanding boxes. next step of the way was by far the most time consuming and frustrating one:

rear hood vent redesign

i dint post all the iterations i went through but i can tell you there where many! this one is one of the many iterations i went through:

just a small gap...

this one was tantalizingly close just a gap of 1/4 plate but still a gap. for the next design i finally caved in and stopped trying to make the rear hood half snotted which made things work:

rear hood done

inbetween the two i also posted a pic of the last attempt and the model i did all those years ago as a kid:

comparison first attempt vs current

really shows my moccing skills improvement! anyways next model was all about detail and another livery:

Latest progress

i added the earthing pole for the overhead line and some more details to the two liveries. here is the other side with some sort of radiator

other side

in the next iteration i added the tan stripe to the red one:

adding the stripe and removing detached sections

next step was improving the looks of the pantograph and making it look more like the "einheitsstromabnehmer"

improved roof electricalsthis is the first render of the red livery:

render #1

@zephyr1934 encouraged me to do a dark red one so here it is:

dark red

these are the final renders for this model. I had to change some colors due to them beeing not available:

final render 1

rear view:

final render 2

As i am done with the model here is the file for all the versions:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0gvbojy3d6ihmz/e69 v6.io?dl=0

History of the prototype:

Here is a quick summary of the history of this loco and her sisters. All five locos where bought by the LAG (localbahn aktien gesellschaft) and where used on the small branch line from murnau to oberammergau. They where given female nicknames. the line was first electrified in 1904 with a single phase electrical system with the voltage of 5.5kv and a frequency of 16 Hz. the frequency was later increased to 16 2/3 Hz to make conversion from the national grid with its frequency of 50 Hz easier. Later, in 1954/55 the voltage was raised to 15kv to match the rail overhead voltage in the rest of germany.

Locos:

E69 001 (LAG 1, Katharina)

b02-LAG%201.jpg?=1540401205

this was the first loco purchased and was notably the first single phase electric locomotive in germany. it had a very weird pantograph with two lyra style arms touching the overhead line. this one is also the only one thats not able to run today due to the increased voltage where its drive motors and electrical systems would have to have been replaced which was never done.

E69-01_Freilassing.jpg

it now resides in the lokwelt in freilassing right at the border to austria. i actually have seen this one in person already.

e69 002/e69 003 (LAG 2, Pauline/LAG 3, Hermine)

the next locos purchased by the lag to cope with the increase in traffic for the "passionsspiele" in oberammergau where the e69 002 and the e 69 003. these where basically identical except for their color. the 002 was green and the 003 was red. the 003 was also the  oldest regular running locomotive of the DB when it went out of service in 1982.

e69 002

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmrSIZZLS_IjsbNCsXTHs

e 69 003

b05-169%20003.jpg?=1317553288

e 69 004 (LAG 4, Johanna):

the LAG 4 has a bit of a weird history. it originally was built by combining one half of the 3 phase trial locomotive produced by siemes for the trials at marienfelde-zossen and a new electrical system to form a quite odd looking locomotive with a cab in the rear of the loco. the other half was used to create this industrial shunter for siemens in berlin which gives you an idea what it looked like as no picture of it in this configuration exists:

sie-existiert-schon-lange-nicht-80639.jpi

it is the right one with the cab on one side. later it was converted to look more like the others with a central cab but higher hoods to acomodate the bigger electrical systems needed for more horsepower:

E69_004_2014.jpg

the loco now looks like this and isnt able to drive sadly.

e69 005 (LAG 5, Adolphine)

this one is the one i built and is by far the most powerful one of them all with over 820hp and a design that looked bulkier. it at first had a green livery but this was later changed to red with a tan or yellow stripe depending on the picture you look at. this loco was also a longer than the others and was one of the first to include a modern safety system by default. here is what she looks like today:

Elektrolokomotive_E_69_05_im_Bahnhof_Kob

she is all up and running today and occasionally pulls historic trains.

edit: here is some further background info from a german book about locomotives:

Some more backstory to the e69 005

Edited by XG BC
finalized

I saw your flickr posts of your train and it looks really nice! I did notice that there is a yellow stripe near the bottom of where the red part begins, but perhaps you are creating a different model/year of it! I do like the little plow(?) you made under the buffer.:thumbup:

Edited by AlexxInc

8 minutes ago, AlexxInc said:

I saw your flickr posts of your train and it looks really nice! I did notice that there is a yellow stripe near the bottom of where the red part begins, but perhaps you are creating a different model/year of it! I do like the little plow(?) you made under the buffer.:thumbup:

you are obviously correct with the stripe it is more of a tan color though depending on the picture you are looking at and very thin so idk whether i should include it or not and yes it is a little plow underneath the buffer as the prototype was used in the german alps where it snowes more.

Edited by XG BC

I think you should print out a vinyl sticker for the stripe, but that is totally up to you! Thanks for the clarification. I did not know what it was used for. You learn something new every day!

i will edit the first post to a sumary of the progress and some background information to the original once i am done with the model.

On 10/17/2021 at 4:29 PM, XG BC said:

i choose the red livery for the competition it just looks more detailed and less boring than the green one:

I think the red one is a good choice. I love the dark green, but it is partly priceless, e.g. the ripples bricks...

Thomas

1 hour ago, Ts__ said:

I think the red one is a good choice. I love the dark green, but it is partly priceless, e.g. the ripples bricks...

Thomas

i wasnt going to build it irl anyways i am participating digitally for this year but yea the dark green one got expensive fast!

Good summary and presentation! 

I really think the red color is a very good choice and that side strip made in plates really makes the model...genuinely Lego.

Great Job!!!

Ciao!

Davide

I'm late to the game on this but it looks great with clean curves, really reminds me of an updated 7720. Just one thought, the prototype you showed looks closer to dark red, it would be neat to see your build in dark red too.

10 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Good summary and presentation! 

I really think the red color is a very good choice and that side strip made in plates really makes the model...genuinely Lego.

Great Job!!!

Ciao!

Davide

thank you

6 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

I'm late to the game on this but it looks great with clean curves, really reminds me of an updated 7720. Just one thought, the prototype you showed looks closer to dark red, it would be neat to see your build in dark red too.

the 7720 is loosely based on the e69. for the color you are right i was kinda torn between dark red and red but dark red looked to dark especially when compared to pictures of the loco in service:

b11-169%20005.jpg?=1317553307

i can make a dark red render and see how that looks though

6 hours ago, Asper said:

Great model, and thank you for presenting the history of all five engines.

thx for the kind words!

1 hour ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Very cute! :wub:

thx!

rendered it in dark red for you:

dark red

dark red doesnt look bad aswell i am kinda torn between the two right now

i now shared the studio files for the model as i am done with it. Enjoy them and have fun building it!

Congratulations on getting your build finished. She's a handsome thing for sure and you've done an excellent job on capturing the shape and the detail too. Dark red is a very classy colour and suits the style of the loco very well.

Best of luck in the competition. :classic:

thanks for all the compliments. now the only thing left to do is to publish the loco in the flickr discussion. i wish you and everyone else participating good luck in the competition

Edited by XG BC

5 hours ago, XG BC said:

rendered it in dark red for you:

dark red

dark red doesnt look bad aswell i am kinda torn between the two right now

Looking good! One thought, while you might use a single color scheme for most of your submission, why not include a render with all three variants next to each other (classic red, dark red and dark green)?

9 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

Looking good! One thought, while you might use a single color scheme for most of your submission, why not include a render with all three variants next to each other (classic red, dark red and dark green)?

this might be an option but i am not shure how the rules are interpreted. i will post a render with all three here if it doesnt take too long with cpu rendering on my laptop ryzen 7 because for whatever reason opencl isnt supported and i cant use my igpu for it.

On 11/2/2021 at 11:26 AM, XG BC said:

this might be an option but i am not shure how the rules are interpreted.

You could submit a question to them to make sure.

I would think if you make most of your presentation about a single color combination and then end with something like, "this model can be painted/built in many different liveries," clearly presenting multi-variant as an extension.