ord

[MOC] String-Ball Winding Machine

Based on the machine invented by Sir Marc Isambard Brunel in 1802:

medium_SMG00065482.jpg

"The thread is carried round the ball by means of the flyer and at each revolution is laid in a different place owing to the slow rotation of the spindle, which is connected with the flyer through worm gearing. The inclination of the spindle can be adjusted by the hand lever to control the shape of the ball produced."

Science Museum Group (UK)

20211015_191148_1.gif

22 minutes ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

Wow, amazing! What does the angle of attack do?

It changes the shape of the ball. With the handle in a more vertical position a rounder ball will be produced, with it in a more horizontal position the ball will be more of a cylindrical shape. It also changes how the pattern of the strings look. 

Very nice, and practical too for knitting enthusiasts. I've seen some Lego ball-winders before, but not one like this.

Well done! I like these kind of Technic builds that do a certain job that can/is used with real machines.

How many minutes did you have to turn the crank to get 1 ball finished?

Thank you all. It took about 2 minutes to wind 1 ball. I just noticed now that the full speed can't be realised from the video because it's sped up, but it goes really fast. That GIF is 1:1 speed.

It would be easy to motorise :wink:. In fact, string balls are still wound today using the same method, just motorised.

I really enjoy seeing these machinery type builds, especially when they are so functional that they could actually be useful. Just one small suggestion, could you add another roller to prevent rubbing/friction of the string where it exits the orifice in the middle? I'm thinking it might reduce wear and make winding easier, especially if you did want to add a motor.

Awesome MOC !! I really like such functional models. Also loved the minimalistic design. Thanks for sharing !!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

17 hours ago, allanp said:

Just one small suggestion, could you add another roller to prevent rubbing/friction of the string where it exits the orifice in the middle? I'm thinking it might reduce wear and make winding easier, especially if you did want to add a motor.

It could be done, but there really isn't much friction between the string and the curved part of the liftarm/connector. 

3 hours ago, williamyzfr1 said:

Great model.

Was this the same Brunel that designed ships and bridges etc?

No it was his father, 

3 hours ago, williamyzfr1 said:

Great model.

Was this the same Brunel that designed ships and bridges etc?

You're thinking of Isambard Kingdom Brunel, Marc Isambard Brunel's son.