Sign in to follow this  
Robert8

LEGO The Office (IDEAS) 2022

1 hour ago, Borex said:

I just want a Ricky Gervais figure because i have a friend that just looks like an exact copy of him. I don’t care for Steve Carell. 

Let's hope he's like Ricky only in looks only :laugh_hard:

I don't understand the amount of comments I've seen, a little here but mostly on other sites, wondering/wishing this was the UK Office and not the US one. I get that a lot of LEGO fans online seem to prefer the UK Office, but one show lasted two seasons and 14 total episodes, and the other ran 9 seasons with 201 episodes. 

Obviously this was only ever going to be the US Office.

The submission was for the US version, so the set will be the US version.

as for figures, you’d hope for the whole squad. So many side characters it will be difficult to include them all. And would they be going off an earlier season with Easter eggs, or a later season because that would change availability of some characters if they went full office.

6 hours ago, PGBQW said:

Let's hope he's like Ricky only in looks only :laugh_hard:

I don’t know if having the looks of Ricky is a good thing :laugh:

On 10/16/2021 at 9:10 AM, Samus Aran said:

This is total BS! Why not the Samus ship or Hyrule Castle ?

Because LEGO Ideas isn't always about great builds. Sometimes, like obviously in this case, it's about hitting an IP that will sell.

13 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

I don't understand the amount of comments I've seen, a little here but mostly on other sites, wondering/wishing this was the UK Office and not the US one. I get that a lot of LEGO fans online seem to prefer the UK Office, but one show lasted two seasons and 14 total episodes, and the other ran 9 seasons with 201 episodes. 

The length of time it ran for is probably less important than what was in the approved submission. If a UK The Office set got to 10K and was approved, it would be outrageous if they later changed it to the US version.

Not that there is that much difference between the characters by the time you have minifigurised them. And decorations around the office can easily be changed if they use US graphics (Froggy 101, etc)

17 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

The original series is the same number of episodes as Fawlty Towers, as Ricky Gervais saw that as the ultimate sitcom benchmark and stopped there.

4 hours ago, The Jersey Brick Guy said:

I can see the annex people not being included. (Toby, Ryan, Kelly)

The question is does the set have Pam or Erin sitting at the front desk. 

date mike: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=90386#T=C&C=11

Probably Pam, mostly because I legit forgot Erin was a thing.

The set is probably going to be based on the first seasons, I think

If anything I can see us getting characters from the newer seasons as referencer or easter eggs

4 hours ago, PGBQW said:

Probably Pam, mostly because I legit forgot Erin was a thing.

If anything I can see us getting characters from the newer seasons as referencer or easter eggs

We don’t need any character that was introduced past season 5. 

There were 13 characters in the main part off the office not counting the annex. I’d pay extra to get all of them. 

1 hour ago, The Jersey Brick Guy said:

We don’t need any character that was introduced past season 5. 

Extremely based.

Other than Erin, a later season character doesn't immediately come to mind as being all that relevant enough for a one-time set.

You had the main cast of the office + Darryl when he was in warehouse from the beginning, then Andy in season 3 and then Erin in season 5.

As for the annex crew, I hope they do get in, it's a shame if they don't, partly because the characters are iconic and also the actors were also writing and producing the show. 

I think LEGO will have thought about it like this:

Main characters only: Michael, Pam, Jim, Dwight (100%)

Important characters/fan faves: Andy, Darryl, Angela, Kevin, maybe-Ryan-but-can't-see-him-without-Kelly (I'd say I'm like 75 - 95% sure we'll get them)

All the other original Dunder Mifflin employees: Stanley, Phyllis, Oscar, Meredith, Creed, Toby, Kelly (Maybe like 50% sure but I think it will be all of them or none of them)

Less chance but still potential: Erin (40-50%, if they do the whole office they could fit Erin in reception and have Pam take up the empty desk in the set).

Can't see it happening but who knows: Jan, Holly, David Wallace (0-30% chance of these, but all MOCable so meh)

I will say about the main cast is you get a lot of diversity of gender, race, religion and sexuality, so LEGO might see it as a real win for their D&I numbers to produce the whole office.

Edited by drewdotexe

Really excited for this. I hope they don’t waste minifigs slots on characters that appear later in the series like Nelly or Clark and Pete. I would even consider Erin extremely non-essential. It might be too much to hope for Robert California though… but maybe Jan and David Wallace?

Suppose it depends, Daily Bugle had 25 minifigs, Diagon Alley had 14? plus two Quidditch bodies for nearly 16 minifigs, so they could do a large amount again. Maybe they'll go really all-out with this and price it in the £200+ mark

Edited by drewdotexe

7 hours ago, PGBQW said:

Honest question: why does it need to be based on specific seasons? Aside from the little window where Jim had his own office, the floor plan pretty much never changed, and a minifigure of Dwight or Jim or Pam or whoever isn't going to be very different from Season 1 to Season 9. To my mind it would make the most sense to just do whatever minifigures and easter eggs they want, without worrying about whether it fits in one season or not.

1 hour ago, Alexandrina said:

Honest question: why does it need to be based on specific seasons? Aside from the little window where Jim had his own office, the floor plan pretty much never changed, and a minifigure of Dwight or Jim or Pam or whoever isn't going to be very different from Season 1 to Season 9. To my mind it would make the most sense to just do whatever minifigures and easter eggs they want, without worrying about whether it fits in one season or not.

I meant characters wise

I hope they can make the characters not look too generic. The Friends sets are pretty cool builds but the figures, nobody would really know who they are without the context of the build. Dwight is easy but the rest might be kind of hard!

I want Creed to be in it...

Michael, Dwight, Jim, Pam are 100% in.

I honestly think the rest are at risk. But I would bet there's more than those 4, but there won't be all of the characters we want! I can't actually choose, they're all important!

I'm pretty sure I'll buy this set.

Also just because I'm a slight Troll... US Office >>>>> UK Office! Also 100x more well known. >:)

Edited by BrickG

Ross from Friends is quite recognizable out of context

They nailed the face

Ross from Friends' face is so good, one of my favourite LEGO prints. Easily recognizable Ross.

Luckily the Friends have iconic outfits, with the Office that is harder unless they pay attention to detail like print Pam's tennis shoes, and get the specific colours of the suits right. Jim in a blue-shirt. Phyllis in purple. Andy in some Crayola nightmare. If they reuse the existing LEGO businessmen torsos it's going to look so lazy.

Edit: I shouldn't say harder because when I think of the Office characters I generally think of their colour schemes which is testament to the costume design for something as mediocre as everyday office clothing. Like, Meredith = Green, Angela = Grey/White, Oscar = Grid-check, Creed = Grey, Kelly = Print/Fun, Toby = That weird brown colour. I just mean that they could be real lazy with it.

Edited by drewdotexe

The real question, would they get the rights to use Cornell for Andy's sweater vest or something (or maybe Dwight when he pretended to go there)...

It begs the question, do they go with the typical look of the characters or one off caricatures of some of the stuff they do like in Friends. The Central Perk set wasn't all inclusive of their wardrobe at that particular moment, but took different scenes and pushed them together, just like the apartments. So they could do that with Office. The unfortunate bit is they work in an Office, so people tend to wear pretty generic outfits there. But could be neat to see some new suit prints at least.

Also, I wouldn't expect it, but would love to see a Robert California figure haha. He might be an acquired tasted and as much as I liked Michael, RC is a presence for sure.

I hope they don't go one-off, I'd rather have a standard set. 

Just imagine the CMF potential of this :laugh: You could do a 12-minifigure set off Michael Scott alone, but the likes of Blond Ryan and Florida Stanley would be awesome. I'm not a Funko fan but they've done a lot of obscure Office figures now.

I know it will never happen but they could do so much with the theme.

Edited by drewdotexe

Most LEGO faces don't really evoke their characters out of context - I'd say the vast majority, in fact. They've gone through numerous designs and iterations for Han Solo for instance, but I wouldn't say any of the Han heads on its own obviously evokes Harrison Ford. The problem is that Ford has a generic handsome look, so distilled into a LEGO figure, it doesn't look like anyone in particular.

Only those people with very distinct features, either genetically or because of adornments like facial hair and accessories, translate recognisably into LEGO. David Schwimmer has very distinct features, as did Sean Connery by Last Crusade with facial hair, glasses and his deeply furrowed brow.

Dwight will be easy because of the glasses. Michael has pretty thick/low eyebrows, and I bet they'll go with some distinct facial expression for the reverse. Jim and Pam will be tough because of their generic looks, which is kind of the point of them.

I hope they have two sided heads. Half of them have a noteable expression that can help the minifigures.

Jim looking at the camera look.

jim-halpert.jpg

Stanley being done with it:

stanley-hudson.jpg?w=1200&h=1200&auto=co

Michael realizing Toby is back:

michael-scott-feature-image-for-the-offi

There's a lot of reference options that might fit the characters a lot. 

On 10/27/2021 at 8:45 AM, PGBQW said:

Extremely based.

Do you mean biased?

On 10/27/2021 at 10:37 AM, Alexandrina said:

Darryl took over Jim’s office after Gabe was in there for a cup of coffee. 

This for me, feels one of those sets that sounds a better idea than it actually looks. I like the show, but in model form it looks very generic