Sign in to follow this  
Gazzalene

Spare parts in kits?

Just building my first kit, a technics 42100.

After completing the first section i have apx 6 - 8 of the small connector tubes and colars over.

Now, i have missed some bits? OR do you get a few bits extra?

Thanks

The smallest parts are too light for TLG quality control to detect, so extras are always included to avoid missing parts. 

I've built a lot of sets, and some sets have extras of 1x1 (and other small) pieces in each bag (example are advent calendar), while other sets have 1-2 spares total of the same piece even while used in more then 2 bags.
Most of the time I end up with 1 of each spare of a small piece unless its a very large set.

For 42100 :Rebrickable lists 6 spare, Bricklink lists 5 extra of this : 85x85p.jpg?1626703291.2710698   (I think the spares section on those site is manually updated, not an official LEGO source, which could explain differences)

Some spares are pretty weird, like 2x 85x85p.jpg?1626703331.862003in 31109 which is a part usually not as a spare, and it's also not used in alternate builds, maybe 2 are added in the case they break long term from having the sails attached.

Edited by TeriXeri

9 hours ago, Gazzalene said:

OR do you get a few bits extra?

Perfectly normal. For Technic sets on average you end up with three or four extra black pins and at least one extra pin of the other types used in the model when the build is finished plus likewise one of each bushing/ nut type. If there are different colors for some elements, that number can grow further.

Mylenium

22 hours ago, Gazzalene said:

Just building my first kit, a technics 42100.

After completing the first section i have apx 6 - 8 of the small connector tubes and colars over.

Now, i have missed some bits? OR do you get a few bits extra?

Thanks

When lego sets are backaged the numbered bags are filled using precise weight, not actual part count. The smallest of parts are inside the possible margin of error of the filling stations. So the machine will always dispense an even number of those parts. With a minimum of 2. This happens with 1×1 studs, technic pins, very small minifig parts suck as helmet visors, etc. 

Thanks for the info. About to start the second section now. When i see the remaining bits i thought i had messed up and forget them!

1 hour ago, Agent Kallus said:

I've had plenty of spare parts, but yesterday I had a spare bag. I though I might be missing a bag but no all accounted for but an extra of bag 4, from set The-Legendary-Flower-Fruit-Mountain.

Lucky! Pretty decent selection of free landscaping parts.

10 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

I've had plenty of spare parts, but yesterday I had a spare bag. I though I might be missing a bag but no all accounted for but an extra of bag 4, from set The-Legendary-Flower-Fruit-Mountain.

Interesting. That rarely ever happens with LEGO sets and in a way you're even lucky that they didn't catch it when weighing the box...

Mylenium

9 hours ago, Mylenium said:

Interesting. That rarely ever happens with LEGO sets and in a way you're even lucky that they didn't catch it when weighing the box...

Mylenium

Well my first thought when I realised was panic, thinking they must have omitted a different bag but then I finished the model with no hiccups.

17 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Lucky! Pretty decent selection of free landscaping parts.

I'm very pleased, especially as I'm in the process of moccing a rocky hill for a fantasy town, so these are perfect parts for that.

21 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

That's pretty exceptional! I've heard of a case where a bag was replaced with another bag so there were a bunch of extra parts while other parts were missing. Customer service replaced the missing bag without issue though.

When I built the Evil Macaque Mech, I got"blessed" with a second copy of the sticker sheet.

I have no use for it, but it was funny to see (and better better than having no stickers at all).

Today I had 1 extra 2x2 slope in a set, while a 1x2 brick with clip was missing.

In 2018, it was a 2x2 corner brick replaced by a 1x6 plate that wasn't even part of the set.

In both cases the weight diference was less then 0.2 gram between parts. (bricklink weight)

Edited by TeriXeri

I have had that happen a couple of times myself, one part missing but a extra of some other part, most recently with the Fiat 500, set 10271. Unfortunately the missing part is usually more rare than the extra part, lol.

Edited by Johnny1360