Sign in to follow this  
Hobbythom

Metroliner rebuild

Hi everyone,

Ever since I was a kid I dreamt of owning the metroliner train. When I picked up the hobby a few years ago I finally bought it.. And.. it did next to nothing for me. It is an iconic set but I felt it was to big, to clunky for my city. So I decided to modernise is. Make it a bit more like a regional train. Below are the results. For those who regard the metroliner as a untouchable classic, this might seem blasphemic. Sorry in advance :pir-classic:

https://flic.kr/p/2mAEyah

metroliner mod wagon

metroliner mod loc

I like it. I always loved the Metroliner, but have largely given up on the idea of owing one. The re release was still 20 years ago so it is pretty much impossible to afford one now. But I managed to get two sets of he Horizon Express, so I'm happy!

That being said, I don't dislike the idea of building my own at some point. I would use only modern pieces, so getting that front right would be a bit of a challenge. The Old Light Grey and new Light Bluish Grey for me are too different to mix, although on yours here it is not as noticeable as I thought it would be, so maybe I could use that front piece?

I love the idea of reimagining it as a regional train. I don't have anything like that currently as I have modified all my trains to be fast, mainline express versions, but I like this. Using the 34 stud low train bases is a good choice here to get those low opening doors in. Really great work.

Thanks for the reply. The difference between old and new gray is even less noticable in real life than in photo's. Besides.. when did you last see a pristine looking train? Therefor I don't mind slight disoloring.

The base is actually built with plates, no prefab train bases used.

1 hour ago, Hobbythom said:

Thanks for the reply. The difference between old and new gray is even less noticable in real life than in photo's. Besides.. when did you last see a pristine looking train? Therefor I don't mind slight disoloring.

The base is actually built with plates, no prefab train bases used.

Both points conceded!
Regarding the weathering, you are absolutely right. Every locomotive or piece of rolling stock I have ever seen has been covered in grime and dirt, so yeah, very valid point!

And, I did not notice the base was built rather than a single piece. That should prove testament to your building skills! I can see clearly now. Looks great. Gives me inspiration for a future 60197 MOC I'm working on.

Nice improvement, yet the model still keeps that authentic look!:laugh:

Edited by AlexxInc