Ts__

OcTRAINber 2021 WiP: Köf II

Hello, it´s OcTRAINber-Time....

WIP story and progress of "my" Köf II:

I wanted to build a Köf for a long time. Yes, I know, it's not a special locomotive and has been done well in Lego. But not by me.

From the beginning, it was clear to me: a locomotive must be able to drive alone, not a freight car with an engine behind it as a drive!
This is not really feasible for a Köf in scale 1:41 with pure Lego means. 9V motor would be a solution, but since I am not a 9V driver, have 0 track material for it, the 9V solution is out for me.
All known conversions with PF/PF Lego Technic are too big for me and would not fit to scale next to my other models.

About a week ago came the announcement for the competition OcTRAINber 2021: small shunting locomotives or maintenance cars etc. were the topic.
I combine: I have an unused Circuit Cube engine lying in front of me, I want to build a Köf and there is just a suitable Wettberb. Ok, then I'll build the Köf now and put other topics on the back burner for now.

Ok, let's go....

at the beginning is the research. The Köf II is really very small.
Link to a sketch, I come there in my scale to about 16 studs length without buffers / coupler

Circuit Cube + motor is small, but somehow the Köf II is even smaller. So I thought about the placement of the motor.
The first try went wrong. The motor builds up too deep at the bottom and grinds on the top of the rail. This does not work with switches and level crossings.

Köf II v00 (WIP)

Ok, so set the motor higher and roughly mark out the outer edges. The disadvantage of this motor position are the many necessary gears (friction losses), the advantage is, I can drive both axes.

You can also see nicely how small the Köf is to become.

Köf II v01 (WIP)

One day later:

I didn't like the many gears and I also had a crazy idea for the front. It needs space and therefore the engine has to give way:

Köf II v03 (WIP)

Motor is now 90° tilted. I have fewer gears in use and can still drive both axles. Nice. But the installation there is also difficult and I need MORE space on top for pretty design....

So radically new approach thought out. Motor comes down again, but turned to the side, so that it has 1/2 plate distance to the top of the rail.
Advantage: one gear less (even less is not possible^^), both axles can be driven, lots of space on the top.
Disadvantage: does it hold? The whole thing is also not so nice from a constructional point of view, because I have to leave the grid inside for the motor, too. The cabin sits all the time also already 1/2 plate in the grid shifted (in height), so that everything becomes very interesting.

Köf II v05 (WIP)

This was the moment when I also had to test the whole thing with real stones: yes, it works and the thing drives:

Köf II v05 (WIP) Chassis Test

Now I have a LOT of ;-) Space and can be filled with stupid ideas. But that's another story....

Thomas

19 hours ago, Ts__ said:

Hello, it´s OcTRAINber-Time....

WIP story and progress of "my" Köf II:

I wanted to build a Köf for a long time. Yes, I know, it's not a special locomotive and has been done well in Lego. But not by me.

From the beginning, it was clear to me: a locomotive must be able to drive alone, not a freight car with an engine behind it as a drive!
This is not really feasible for a Köf in scale 1:41 with pure Lego means. 9V motor would be a solution, but since I am not a 9V driver, have 0 track material for it, the 9V solution is out for me.
All known conversions with PF/PF Lego Technic are too big for me and would not fit to scale next to my other models.

About a week ago came the announcement for the competition OcTRAINber 2021: small shunting locomotives or maintenance cars etc. were the topic.
I combine: I have an unused Circuit Cube engine lying in front of me, I want to build a Köf and there is just a suitable Wettberb. Ok, then I'll build the Köf now and put other topics on the back burner for now.

Ok, let's go....

at the beginning is the research. The Köf II is really very small.
Link to a sketch, I come there in my scale to about 16 studs length without buffers / coupler

Circuit Cube + motor is small, but somehow the Köf II is even smaller. So I thought about the placement of the motor.
The first try went wrong. The motor builds up too deep at the bottom and grinds on the top of the rail. This does not work with switches and level crossings.

Köf II v00 (WIP)

Ok, so set the motor higher and roughly mark out the outer edges. The disadvantage of this motor position are the many necessary gears (friction losses), the advantage is, I can drive both axes.

You can also see nicely how small the Köf is to become.

Köf II v01 (WIP)

One day later:

I didn't like the many gears and I also had a crazy idea for the front. It needs space and therefore the engine has to give way:

Köf II v03 (WIP)

Motor is now 90° tilted. I have fewer gears in use and can still drive both axles. Nice. But the installation there is also difficult and I need MORE space on top for pretty design....

So radically new approach thought out. Motor comes down again, but turned to the side, so that it has 1/2 plate distance to the top of the rail.
Advantage: one gear less (even less is not possible^^), both axles can be driven, lots of space on the top.
Disadvantage: does it hold? The whole thing is also not so nice from a constructional point of view, because I have to leave the grid inside for the motor, too. The cabin sits all the time also already 1/2 plate in the grid shifted (in height), so that everything becomes very interesting.

Köf II v05 (WIP)

This was the moment when I also had to test the whole thing with real stones: yes, it works and the thing drives:

Köf II v05 (WIP) Chassis Test

Now I have a LOT of ;-) Space and can be filled with stupid ideas. But that's another story....

Thomas

the drive system looks like something right up my alley like trying to cram as much gearing into impossibly small models is my thing aswell awesome ideas for the drive system!

Indeed, they should have considered having a separate Kof class given the popularity of this model (grin). But it looks like you are well on track for building the smallest self-propelled Kof I've ever seen, and highly detailed. Amazing work!

On 10/12/2021 at 2:41 PM, Ts__ said:

I totally understand, the circuit cube definitely was not designed for trains, some of the connection points can be very challenging. You've done a great job surmounting those challenges though. It is surprisingly powerful though, I wound up with a long gear train in a build and it did not seem to slow it down at all.

Thanks for the nice comments

Yes, the Köf is certainly the most boring prototype at this year's OcTRAINber, but I'm building primarily for myself and not for the competition.

19 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

But it looks like you are well on track for building the smallest self-propelled Kof I've ever seen, and highly detailed.

I try my best...

Köf WIP-story:

After I have written a lot about the now available space, it was also time to use the space....

What I like about the Köfs are the distinctive flaps / lids on the stem. The first thought about this structure was: make that with a sticker. But before there is an outcry here: I had another idea from the beginning for it:

Köf II v05 (WIP) Flaps?

I was just the first few days not clear how I could fix the triangular tiles so...
But it must be tried. After the engine was gone from up there, there was room for something like that:

Köf II v05 (WIP) Flaps

Difficult was the attachment inside with simultaneous rear so that you can not see through the gaps. And the whole thing on 3 studs width (total).

Not bad, but still far from perfect.
Zb the flaps should be slightly further out than the cover on the stem. And also missing the small slope at the front of the stem:

Köf II v05 (WIP) Flaps

So again sat down and built the whole inside completely different. Should now already slowly look like a Köf II.
What I still do not like is the front upper lamp. The lamp module is quite large and the lamp could be a nub further back. But I'm still missing the construction solution...

Köf II v08 (WIP) Flaps

Köf II v09 (WIP)

And as a bonus, a picture from the test drive the day before yesterday:

Köf II v09 (WIP) test drive

Thomas

4 hours ago, Ts__ said:

Not bad, but still far from perfect.

However, you reached at least "excellent" :wub:

Great build, the attention to details is fantastic!

22 hours ago, Ts__ said:

Yes, the Köf is certainly the most boring prototype at this year's OcTRAINber, but I'm building primarily for myself and not for the competition.

The Kof is hardly boring, it is a standard that many people eventually take a stab at because it is beloved. Though I must say, you gone beyond what I thought was possible.

Nothing here is "Boring". As noted, the Kof is a fun little critter to have. Your advancements are outstanding. I'd have a slab sided "boring" piece and still think it was wonderful. Your work puts my concepts to shame.

On 10/14/2021 at 4:14 PM, Ts__ said:

Boring…? I’ve not seen anything boring here. Anyone else?

I think that this is a brilliant build to a very high standard. It may only be a Kof but it’s shaping up to be one helluva Kof. 

8 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Though I must say, you gone beyond what I thought was possible. 

5 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Nothing here is "Boring"

1 hour ago, Hod Carrier said:

It may only be a Kof but it’s shaping up to be one helluva Kof. 

Thx! I'm glad that I'm not boring everyone with another Köf.

In a German forum, the justified criticism came that the side surfaces would have to be pyramid-shaped. This is correct, of course, but was not possible for me in the first attempt.

I spent two full days and evenings pyramiding the sides on the stem. Sometimes the angle was too steep, sometimes too flat, often it has not held and even more often I ran out of space inside....
I had solutions where you can adjust the angle more, however, it then only goes on one side. For two sides I would have needed either a nub more width in the stem or parts that are not (yet) available from Lego.
I even thought about cutting up 3mm Rigged Hoses, but discarded it again (before the knife). Experiments with Lego rubber parts caused further failures...

The solution shown now is buildable with Lego parts without machining and holds even better than the solution with the turntables. You can touch it. The angle is relatively small, but I find the solution denoch an advance over a flat version. The internal structure was very exciting, does it hold? Yes and I have even been able to build the upper lamp back further back again....

Köf II OcTRAINber Side Panel II (WIP)Köf II v13 Side Panel II (WIP)

Thomas

Hello all,

today there is a new update to the WIP story and a few pictures about the history of the Köf II. Have fun with it.

Köf II OcTRAINber Idea (WIP)

Köf II OcTRAINber History (WIP)

Köf II OcTRAINber Air Tank (WIP)

On the size to the compressed air tank or other ideas for it I would appreciate suggestions/opinions from you guys, thanks.

Thomas

Even though no one here had said it: the compressed air tank was too big and it can't stay that way.

But the road to the successful change was long...

Köf II OcTRAINber Air Tank II (WIP)

Now the compressed air tank should have the right size and I can change things again at other parts of the Köf ;-)

Thomas

a small update, slowly I am approaching the final model...

Köf II OcTRAINber Operator´s Cap (WIP)

Thomas

Drooling over this. I wanted to build a Köf II as well using the Circuit Cubes since every single Lego Köf is far, far too big and the cubes finally make it possible to build one that fits scale wise. Truly, a work of art and easily the best rendition of this icon I've seen so far.

super cool model! i especcially like your status updates they are wayy more proffesional than mine

4 hours ago, XG BC said:

super cool model! i especcially like your status updates they are wayy more proffesional than mine

Agreed. It's been a fascinating process to follow how your design has evolved over the weeks.

5 hours ago, XG BC said:

Thank you, I over but also still and marvel at other artworks and presentations

1 hour ago, Hod Carrier said:

Agreed. It's been a fascinating process to follow how your design has evolved over the weeks.

Also many thanks. But after the change is before the change^^

I changed the tail again today and it probably won't be for the last time....

KöF II v19 Hecküberarbeitung

Thomas

The tail was not really fitting and the cabin was too long. After a few days of rebuilding with several intermediate steps, the appearance of the rear has hopefully improved a lot:

KöF II OcTRAINber Operators Cap II (WIP)

Slowly it is time to do the final touches. Still waiting for revision the buffers and deco...

Thomas

October is over, luckily we have half of November as extra time ;-)

KöF II OcTRAINber Assembly

KöF II OcTRAINber New Parts

I have also made the last changes to the attachments, I think it should fit now ;-)

Thomas

... time to show us the brick build version soon. Fantastic KöF MOC. Hopefully we can have a shunting party with your KöF and my Vollert Robot some day ...

7 hours ago, Ts__ said:

October is over, luckily we have half of November as extra time ;-)

KöF II OcTRAINber Assembly

KöF II OcTRAINber New Parts

I have also made the last changes to the attachments, I think it should fit now ;-)

Thomas

this one is perfect! it just has something the other köfs online lacked idk how to describe it the proportions are just perfect

As predicted, that's one helluva Kof II. You've got to be happy with the results of all your hard work. It's clear that you're not prepared to settle for just "good enough" but keep pushing for those alterations to make it right. Congratulations!!