Kai NRG

CDC2 CMF Kai NRG

51581036381_8da4d29a44_c.jpg

Avalonia

Fishmaid

GOH%20CMF%20Avalonia1.JPG

"Who wants feet?  I'd give my hair for a pair of hands though, you bet."

The Mystic Isles of Avalonia are home to many an unusual creature, including the fishmaids.  They're said to tend beautiful sea gardens deep in labyrinths no human could survive in.  Other people claim that they spend most of their time sunbathing.

Forestman

GOH%20CMF%20Avalonia2.JPG

"Deer haunch or rabbit stew?  Who am I kidding, I'm too soft-hearted to do anything but hug trees."

The forestman is always dreaming of bringing down big game, but he's never yet been able to shoot at anything with eyes.  Someday he plans on going to Nocturnus to hunt monsters or some violent creature he can feel good about killing.

Farm Boy

GOH%20CMF%20Avalonia3.JPG

"From peep to pot, I love my chickens!"

The farm boy is rustic and dirty, but he loves seeing the cycle of the seasons on the farm.  He's tender as possible to the little critters, but it's true that he also likes to see them again, tender as possible, on his dinner table.

Brownie

GOH%20CMF%20Avalonia4.JPG

"The stupid humans still think it's the rabbits who get into their gardens.  Ha!hahhaha!"

The wee brown men of Avalonia carry off loads of garden produce every year... but in return, they sneak into human houses and mysteriously do the chores.

Kaliphlin

Astrologist

GOH%20CMF%20Kaliphlin1.JPG

"Sir, I have to tell you that your destiny is a most unique one.  Unparalleled heights await you if you continue on your journey.  --That will be two hundred gold denars."

The astrologist loves to stare at the stars and try to understand their orbits with complex mathematical formulas.  But no one pays him for stargazing, so he's also learned how to give great noncommittal advice.

Warrior

GOH%20CMF%20Kaliphlin2.JPG

"Do you call that a weapon?  My grandmother's kitchen knives were sharper than that."

Now that the Queen has come to power, the warrior is getting tired of life.  He's got nothing to do but coach kids who've never known what it was to charge into battle under the blazing Kaliphlinian sun with fifty pounds of armor on and life on the line.  Oh for the good old days of the Kali Civil War!

Desert Mummy

GOH%20CMF%20Kaliphlin3.JPG

"Oooozzz, gooooo, blop!"

The slimy desert mummy is the last thing you want to see on a trip into the Siccus Badlands.  His bright green goop will dissolve you from the outside in!

Mitgardia

Dragon Trainer

GOH%20CMF%20Mitgardia1.JPG

"Dragons are quite a handful... the more they bite off, the more they chew!"

The dragon trainer loves his dragons, but foraging enough food for them in the tough Mitgardian tundra can be quite a chore.  But wherever you go, his dragons are known for their tame obedience to their owners and their dreadful ferocity to their foes! 

Viking

GOH%20CMF%20Mitgardia2.JPG

"If I find you snitching cookies one more time, kiddos, you'll find out that this spike isn't just for looks!"

The viking is ready for anything, from a terrible toddler to a runaway chicken to a drow invasion.  With her spiked nunchuck in hand, nothing scares her on the farm or off it.

Algus Fighter

GOH%20CMF%20Mitgardia3.JPG

"Seems like the more heads you chop off, the more heads they grow!"

The Algus fighter lives for the joy of hearing his axe bite into crunchy ice.  He'll never let his homeland be overrun by those monsters.   And he'll also never let his moustache go untrimmed.

Nocturnus

Four Armed Monster
GOH%20CMF%20Nocturnus1.JPG

"No... please don't run... I won't hurt you!  Snap, there goes dinner.  Again."

The four armed monster either has a rough sense of humor or a tremendous appetite.  Most people don't stick around long enough to find out!

Pottery Merchant

GOH%20CMF%20Nocturnus2.JPG

"Only the finest clays... what's that?  Queen Ylspeth's advisor?  Let me guess, you're not here for the pottery..."

The pottery merchant uses her trade to cover a far more delicate business.  She roams every corner of the guilds, gathering news and scandal from high and low and selling it whenever she can make a profit.

Wannabe Magician

GOH%20CMF%20Nocturus3.JPG

"Oh boy.... I'm really looking forward to regretting this."

The wannabe magician knows less about mushrooms than your average cook, but that doesn't stop him from seeing how they combine with other rare plants.  So far, he's only burnt down his mother's hut twice and the chicken coop three times.  Oh, and he poisoned the well, which killed all the sheep...

Varlyrio

Chef

GOH%20CMF%20Varlyrio1.JPG

"Tis food, tis food, that makes the world go round."

Even suspicious, backstabbing Varlyrians need the chef's services.  Some of the most suspicious claim that he's sometimes looked the other way with that innocent face when servants dump suspicious ingredients into his sauces, but except for the one or two people who haven't survived his meals, everyone agrees that they're delicious!

Courtier

GOH%20CMF%20Varlyrio2.JPG

"If I could venture a remark, I would remind my lord that with his great wealth, he can well afford to be comfortable."

The courtier is an expert at saying whatever you want to hear in the smoothest possible voice.  In return, all he asks for is a comfortable meal, a comfortable chair, and a comfortable bed.

Noble

GOH%20CMF%20Varlyrio3.JPG

"Double-cross me, and you'll wish you'd nailed yourself into a coffin instead."

Nothing scares the noble's enemies worse than his minefield of a smile.  Whenever his hair is just right and his smirk is at its handsomest, you know that trouble is brewing.

There we are, all 16.  I don't know how Avalonia got an extra one, it just worked out that way.  :laugh:  Here's a repetition of the group shot:

51581036381_8da4d29a44_c.jpg

This series is @soccerkid6 's fault... I had no intention of building minifigures until he mentioned that he was having fun with some (by the way, I hope there's a series coming there!).  As you can see, I was too lazy to try to get all my minifigures to stand up at the same time, so I edited them into a group shot instead and had a lot of fun styling it like the official series.  Some of these figs are still lying around, maybe they'll make their way into a build or two. :grin:

C&C welcome, can't wait to hear which ones are your favorites!

First, great poster!

Having a simple guild banner in each individual photo is a nice touch too.  Overall, NPU in all the accessories!  The harp is my favorite by far (though quite illegal) but the broken egg, dragon, pottery merchant pot and wannabe magician explosion are all terrific.

p.s. the little triangle table is great technique!

Nice bunch of people - and the "official" poster is, of course, great.

My favorite is that courtier guy with his harp-thingy. Do I spot some illegal building techniques here and there? :laugh:

Love the Brownie, Dragon Tamer, Chef and Courtier the best. But these are all really good!

Nice work!  Love the overall shot.  The brownie, astrologist and dragon trainer are my favorites.  I like the creative builds and the banners with guild colors on each.  Also points for remembering the Algus and tying everything together!

A fantastic CMF series, with great editing and entertaining descriptions! The chef, algus hunter, and pottery merchant are some of my faves.

What an impeccable presentation! And the minifig themselves are spot-on too. My favourite is the goo mummy - very original, excellent idea and excellent realisation!

You have a great number of impressive side-build/accessories. I especially admire the telescope, very nice choice of individual parts, the whole looks absolutely gorgeous with those distinct pearl gold colours!

Nice series Kai. That poor soft-hearted Avalonian hunter! I like the rig for the astronomer and the brick build dragon. Overall my favourite is the pottery master. She’s wearing a Ninjago outfit, right?

Thanks everyone!  Glad to hear several of you mention the edit, it's one of the more challenging edits I've tackled!

On 10/12/2021 at 3:10 PM, jtooker said:

First, great poster!

Having a simple guild banner in each individual photo is a nice touch too.  Overall, NPU in all the accessories!  The harp is my favorite by far (though quite illegal) but the broken egg, dragon, pottery merchant pot and wannabe magician explosion are all terrific.

p.s. the little triangle table is great technique!

Thank you!  I loved coming up with the little accessories for these figs (I enjoy that more than the actual figbarfing), in fact some of them are little table scraps I've had around for a long time!

On 10/13/2021 at 3:41 AM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Nice bunch of people - and the "official" poster is, of course, great.

My favorite is that courtier guy with his harp-thingy. Do I spot some illegal building techniques here and there? :laugh:

Thanks Captain!  Yes, some illegal techniques... but no sticky putty!! :grin:

On 10/17/2021 at 6:12 PM, Grover said:

Nice work!  Love the overall shot.  The brownie, astrologist and dragon trainer are my favorites.  I like the creative builds and the banners with guild colors on each.  Also points for remembering the Algus and tying everything together!

Thank you!  The astrologist is one of my favorites too,  I really love that hairpiece. :laugh:

On 10/19/2021 at 12:06 PM, Aurore said:

What an impeccable presentation! And the minifig themselves are spot-on too. My favourite is the goo mummy - very original, excellent idea and excellent realisation!

You have a great number of impressive side-build/accessories. I especially admire the telescope, very nice choice of individual parts, the whole looks absolutely gorgeous with those distinct pearl gold colours!

Thanks Aurore!  The goo mummy was fun, one of my first ideas as I really wanted to finally get some use out of those trans-lime parts.  There's actually a complex rig behind him holding up a pair of horns under his hat and behind his head, but sadly my angle was too high for those to be visible and I didn't notice until editing time.

7 hours ago, BardDandelion said:

An instrument you made for Courtier  is astonishing!

Thank you!  I have to disclaim credit for that, I borrowed it from another builder although sadly I cannot find it again now!

6 hours ago, Eyrezer said:

Nice series Kai. That poor soft-hearted Avalonian hunter! I like the rig for the astronomer and the brick build dragon. Overall my favourite is the pottery master. She’s wearing a Ninjago outfit, right?

Thanks Eyrezer!  Yes, that's the outfit from Unagami (from the video game wave).  This kind of figure was my first thought when I got that minifigure!  I also loved getting to exploit the tiny hole in the cape by sticking a plume in it.

Oh, you did some great work with the poster edit!  My thought process went exactly in the other direction, I thought about doing something like it, but then decided it would way easier to get all the figs lined up properly for one overview camera shot + edit than it would be to shoot individually, then edit individually, then edit all together.  Sure does look nice though. :thumbup:

My favorites are the Courtier and the Noble.

The dragon technique I can't quite make out.  Any chance for a breakdown?

On 10/26/2021 at 2:20 AM, mrcp6d said:

Oh, you did some great work with the poster edit!  My thought process went exactly in the other direction, I thought about doing something like it, but then decided it would way easier to get all the figs lined up properly for one overview camera shot + edit than it would be to shoot individually, then edit individually, then edit all together.  Sure does look nice though. :thumbup:

My favorites are the Courtier and the Noble.

The dragon technique I can't quite make out.  Any chance for a breakdown?

Evidently I intended to shoot a breakdown shot for you and never got to it :laugh:  It's much too late now, but if I recall correctly, it's got two of the standard bar clips in red for the body and legs (wings and a bandana fit snugly in there, with a 1x1 round plate with hole as a stopper + tail connection), and then the head is grey-red lipstick with another bar clip in black and a hand to attach the red "hair" piece.