snaillad

MOC: Mediterranean town square

Hello users of EB!

Here I present my latest build, a Mediterranean town square with a trio of intertwined buildings. A restaurant, a shop and various apartments fill the scene. I can't say its any one particular European style, more a hybrid mix of styles.

Anyway onto the pics;

Mediterranean town squareMediterranean town squareMediterranean town square

They can also all be view on my flickr stream here

Andy comments or queries about techniques are welcome.

Regards!

I have always liked your design that is always clean and well cared for! This moc could easily be a building in my Italy. Congratulations on your work.

A great blend of colors and architecture. I also really like the stair in front of the buildings!

I really like that the tiles on the square are a bit uneven. It looks a lot more realistic that way.

Edited by STHLM

Nice little plaza and building set you've created. I like the two levels of dining and the stepped walk it a superb touch.

On 10/11/2021 at 7:35 AM, _TLG_ said:

Awesome build, I like all the details and those pants on clothesline :)

Thank you, hopefully they don't fall into someones dinner!

On 10/11/2021 at 11:00 AM, sdrnet said:

I have always liked your design that is always clean and well cared for! This moc could easily be a building in my Italy. Congratulations on your work.

Yeah Italy was definitely a prominent influence on me for this build!

On 10/11/2021 at 6:53 PM, Ecclesiastes said:

A great blend of colors and architecture. I also really like the stair in front of the buildings!

Thank you!

On 10/11/2021 at 8:54 PM, STHLM said:

I really like that the tiles on the square are a bit uneven. It looks a lot more realistic that way.

Yeah if anything I found it difficult to make it more rustic!

On 10/12/2021 at 2:43 PM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

This is sooo fantastic. Very inspiring. I should build something similar (or buy the necessary bricks first...)

There are not too many unusual bricks here, most of the fun was combining colour combinations!

On 10/12/2021 at 3:09 PM, Feuer Zug said:

Nice little plaza and building set you've created. I like the two levels of dining and the stepped walk it a superb touch.

Thanks, the steps were just something to break up the monotony of flat plaza. Glad you liked it!

Looks like you made good use of the 1x1 sand blue tiles which are currently in many PAB walls! ;-)

Superb as always!

Fantastic work as always, huge fan of the architecture, your snotwork and the bush arch especially (I'm assuming it's a combo of Travis bricks and a flex tube)! The way you made use of white to highlight the gables and the detailing around the windows on top of the great sand green, sand blue and red combo (which surprisingly works extremely well) is really pleasing to the eye! If I had one thing to nitpick, it would be about the integration of the masonry bricks on the sand green building, especially in the very middle. Here's an example to how it can be blended better by Ralf Langer, it's very simple yet extremely effective in my opinion: 

50142976503_48e124f65d_n.jpg3 by Ralf Langer, on Flickr

Phenomenal collection of buildings overall though, definitely very much reminiscent of Italy. Would love to go and have a pizza there minifigurized! :laugh:

Edited by LegoModularFan

This build is incredible. The use of different colours and varied design in the building is simply awe inspiring. I like the way you have stepped the buildings and the uneven surface of the square is genius! The cafe patio is also a splendid idea... this scene really looks as though it can be small Italian town.... :)

How do yo come up with such an idea and do you build your Mocs in LDD? 

Love this. I really like the use of 1x1’s on the walls of that blue building. That dark grey design in the sidewalk is a neat detail as well. And the outdoor seating area is a nice addition. 

On 10/14/2021 at 8:14 PM, peedeejay said:

Looks like you made good use of the 1x1 sand blue tiles which are currently in many PAB walls! ;-)

Superb as always!

Yeah I've seen them in several walls, some finally useful small pieces to fix those pesky gaps in my cups!

On 10/14/2021 at 9:56 PM, BlackGloveBricks said:

I'm in love with this design! You've done such a beautiful job with this! 

Thanks, glad you like it!

On 10/15/2021 at 3:11 PM, LegoModularFan said:

Fantastic work as always, huge fan of the architecture, your snotwork and the bush arch especially (I'm assuming it's a combo of Travis bricks and a flex tube)! The way you made use of white to highlight the gables and the detailing around the windows on top of the great sand green, sand blue and red combo (which surprisingly works extremely well) is really pleasing to the eye! If I had one thing to nitpick, it would be about the integration of the masonry bricks on the sand green building, especially in the very middle. Here's an example to how it can be blended better by Ralf Langer, it's very simple yet extremely effective in my opinion: 

50142976503_48e124f65d_n.jpg3 by Ralf Langer, on Flickr

Phenomenal collection of buildings overall though, definitely very much reminiscent of Italy. Would love to go and have a pizza there minifigurized! :laugh:

Yeah perhaps I could of detailed a little more on the green, if anything in this build I tried to make it more rustic - I still have to learn how to make things seems weathered! The archway is made of flexi tube and standard 'bar with clips' in black. Glad you liked the colour combinations too!

13 hours ago, TK4235 said:

This build is incredible. The use of different colours and varied design in the building is simply awe inspiring. I like the way you have stepped the buildings and the uneven surface of the square is genius! The cafe patio is also a splendid idea... this scene really looks as though it can be small Italian town.... :)

How do yo come up with such an idea and do you build your Mocs in LDD? 

Thank you, I don't build my mocs in LDD or any software so its made up as I go along. I suppose its an update of sorts of an old moc of mine from a few years ago -  Piazza Maria Some of the ideas I used then have been used here too but with maybe a bit of emphasis on newer building techniques I've learned since then.

10 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Love this. I really like the use of 1x1’s on the walls of that blue building. That dark grey design in the sidewalk is a neat detail as well. And the outdoor seating area is a nice addition. 

Thank you, I think the grey pattern is common in former areas of ancient greek/roman influence.

9 hours ago, lightningtiger said:

Love it, wonderful architecture work indeed. 

BRICK ON "snaillad" ! 

Cheers @lightningtiger!

Amazing architecture. I'm always fascinated with your MOCs, they're full of color and interesting design. The raised terrace is a nice touch to add more variety to the buildings. Well done!

Thank you for sharing.

I'm surprised and impressed that you don't use any software in advance. When it comes to colours the digital build helps me a lot.

Fantastic building(s), love it!! 

On 11/9/2021 at 1:05 PM, Zork said:

Thank you for sharing.

I'm surprised and impressed that you don't use any software in advance. When it comes to colours the digital build helps me a lot.

Fantastic building(s), love it!! 

Thanks, I tend to build from what I have. I think I'd find it a bit expensive to design something virtually and then have the source all the pieces, I would probably not bother. I guess this keeps me working with some limitations.