Sign in to follow this  
Quotenotto

[MOC] Dark-red imperial Frigatte (WIP)

51572808700_e0f2b8959a_c.jpgWIP Lego Frigatte, auf Flickr

51572566499_e6dee0f246_c.jpgWIP Lego Frigatte, auf Flickr

51571884701_2b52a69197_c.jpgWIP Lego Frigatte, auf Flickr

51571075807_f1c1709dc6_c.jpgWIP Lego Frigatte, auf Flickr

This is a work-in-progress project of an 18th century 26 gun frigatte with 14 heavy guns on the gundeck aswell as 10 small guns on the upper deck and two foreward facing chasers. I chose the dark-red color sceme as a tribute to the 2009 Brickbeards Bounty, because i liked the dark-red and gold colors and I used one of those as a base with two added hull-parts. Next, I'm giong to start on the masts and connect them to the rigging and figure out the dimensions of the sails. The upper deck will be modular and easily removable for access to the gundeck. I have yet to work on the interior.

Very well built, I look forward to seeing more photos as construction progresses.

Very nice! :pir-stareyes:

Do you have it in LDD or .io file?

I'm interested in the front part of the ship.

I think your construction approach is what I'm looking for modding the front part of my 10210 Imperial Flagship!

On 10/10/2021 at 2:46 PM, Mister Phes said:

Very nice start! :pir-thumb:

What shall ye make the sails from?

I've got some fine cotton cloth wich I'm either gonna starch or maybe apply some acrylic color to strengthen it. For a different ship I used transfer paper to iron on a red striped design onto the sails, but I'm not really 100% satisfied with the results, because the color wasn't as bright as I had hoped it would be. But if you know better ways of making sails I would be glad for some insight.

On 10/11/2021 at 11:18 AM, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Very nice! :pir-stareyes:

Do you have it in LDD or .io file?

I'm interested in the front part of the ship.

I think your construction approach is what I'm looking for modding the front part of my 10210 Imperial Flagship!

I have started on an .io file, but it is in a verry early stage in wich I haven't completed the bow and with a totally different stern. But I plan to create instructions for this ship, once I've finished it.

On 10/16/2021 at 12:28 PM, Quotenotto said:

I have started on an .io file, but it is in a verry early stage in wich I haven't completed the bow and with a totally different stern. But I plan to create instructions for this ship, once I've finished it.

Nice!

Can you post some high quality photos of the interior?

Update:

I am now mostly fineshed with the design of the build, i just need to make the sails (the part i hate the most...) and add the small upper deck guns for wich i'm missing some parts.
The ship is designed modular, the upper decks are removable while the two big masts stay connected to the hull, wich makes them relativly stable.
The guns are on wheels and moderately secured, they roll out easily when the gun ports are opend and the ship is tilted. The two quater deck guns are able to be pushed out by levers.
The anker can be hoisted and the wheel actually turns the rudder.

51843264362_2d99fb6828_c.jpgWIP Lego Red imperial frigate, auf Flickr

51844936630_39421db081_c.jpgWIP Lego Red imperial frigate, auf Flickr

51843264357_0153b23f1f_c.jpgWIP Lego Red imperial frigate, auf Flickr

51843264322_3fa53a41a6_c.jpgWIP Lego Red imperial frigate, auf Flickr

51844310648_c96c008090_c.jpgWIP Lego Red imperial frigate, auf Flickr

51844936655_5bdd5a5aa5_c.jpgWIP Lego Red imperial frigate, auf Flickr

This is very clever design from what I see. You certainly made a great effort to make the rudder actually turn, and by doing that you sacrificed the captain cabin on the stern... or you didn't?

I have only one thing which makes me worry looking at your latest pictures, and it the sails, or more precise, the spanker sail (the one above the wheel). Connecting it to the mast via two ball-joint connection could be an issue when trying to move the sail left or right (if you intend to 'borrow' the ship for light play). The design of the 'Boom' and 'Gaff' is quite different of the other 'Yards' on the mainmast and foremast.

Similar technique for yards and masts was used on Barracuda brig. Take a look at their design of the Boom and Gaff for the spanker sail. They used one ball-joint connection which is more secure and still offers the same room for moving the sail left or right (it is less flimsy than two ball-connection). Plus the design of Gaff and Boom is in the spirit of other yards of the sails (no need for tiles).

Maybeissue.jpg

I really like the overall design and good luck with the sails :pir-thumb: