Ngoc Nguyen

42136 - John Deere 9620R 4WD Tractor

I haven't built much Technic lately so weirdly the most exciting part of this for me is that dark tan steering wheel (a nice alternative for a part that mostly only comes in grey and black).

Seems like it’s becoming a bit of a in vogue thing to have your product made into LEGO, thus the looks are more important than what the product should be about.

Also why would they make a green 5x7 frame? Just for this model or is there something else coming up to warrant a re colour? (Love the re colour of course though!)

if it’s a re colour for this small set only, why can’t they re colour a few pins and axles every now and then to get rid of those nasty primary colours for us adults in the ‘18+’ sets.

One word: Underwhelming.

I really hoped for a surprising detail, but this comes down to the easiest unimaginery functions ever. Very sad....

yes, for the sake of about 20 additional pieces, they probably could have added a simple tailgate on the trailer that opens when it tips, and a simple adjustable height hitch on the tractor.  pretty sad looking set, but ironically one of the only sets which is not a car or bike.

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

I'm guessing it wasn't.

Since no one reacted but you then you are probably right

I know I should stick to JCB...

Well, the model was pretty poor on functions, so, as for me, I already had a full list of details and how the functions work only having the images released before the video reviews.

I appreciate you found the time to put it here (many thanks) but personally for me, being quite busy these days, I couldn't afford to spend time watching the video that brings nothing new for me :look:

So it's 4 gears and a small turntable? That's sad, because this could have been a great Technic set. Well at least it has more gears than the bigger Porsche and Ford pullbacks.

19 minutes ago, Gumalca said:

So it's 4 gears and a small turntable? That's sad, because this could have been a great Technic set. Well at least it has more gears than the bigger Porsche and Ford pullbacks.

It has some interesting parts (recolored), but since I have lots of green panels and liftarms I can make Deere harvester in future... personally I don't see need to buy this set, but it's up to everyone to decide for himself / herself

20 minutes ago, Gumalca said:

It is but they also have literally a single function at all... For me, they kept the biggest mystery till the very end of how exactly the "lock" is made in a such limited space. 

advertised as 4WD in the product name, but lacks 4 wheel drive as a basic function?  I suppose the person in the copywriting department at lego correctly identified it as having 4 wheels......

I suppose no different than a helicopter with spinning rotars than won't fly.....

would have liked to have seen a couple more simple functions here, even just a support leg on the trailer, etc.

11 minutes ago, paul_delahaye said:

advertised as 4WD in the product name, but lacks 4 wheel drive as a basic function?

Yeah that's pretty much LEGO nowadays. The F150 Raptor lacks the one function that differentiates it from the normal F150: 4WD. It's even written all over in the instructions. And it took fans no more than a few weeks to fix that issue. 

On 3/1/2022 at 1:47 PM, LvdH said:

Yeah that's pretty much LEGO nowadays. The F150 Raptor lacks the one function that differentiates it from the normal F150: 4WD. It's even written all over in the instructions. And it took fans no more than a few weeks to fix that issue. 

It happened before; just remember 8435 set https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/buildinginstructions/8435

Edited by 1gor

Why is this set only available on lego shop? Have not found it anywhere else...

Wouldn't mind getting it there, but it's on 60 days backorder!:ugh:

1 hour ago, Polarlicht said:

Why is this set only available on lego shop? Have not found it anywhere else...

Wouldn't mind getting it there, but it's on 60 days backorder!:ugh:

It's not available from regular retailers in the UK either. The only place it's available is TLG Shop or sites like eBay.

Often for a serious premium in the latter.

Why has TLG done this?

Thanks @Ngoc Nguyen for discovering the thread after it is buried deep in the sea :tongue:
The biggest takeaway from the video for me is this part. Oh they are so shine-y!
400x176.png

And the correct target age group is mentioned by @1gor here:laugh:

On 1/30/2022 at 10:19 PM, 1gor said:

It should be 3-8

Honestly I think those who will buy this are actually smarter than this kit. It has nice parts pack, people who are familiar with or are fans of John Deere can go for it, and, people who can make it much better. This set's modifications thread is a clear evidence of it (while the main thread is almost dead).

Anyways, another awesome video from Racingbrick :thumbup:

Edited by thekoRngear

Thanks again for another great review @kbalage. I appreciate your clarity on the sets, and your quick visuals on the build process.

I want to thank you for using your platform to highlight a builder who is not yourself in a video. It's great that you were able to share @SaperPL Fast Track, and share with your vast audience another builder who is coming up with creative designs. Thanks for supporting another person in this community. 

On 4/7/2022 at 2:40 AM, thekoRngear said:

This set's modifications thread is a clear evidence of it (while the main thread is almost dead).

I really thought the mods and improvements page was going to take off once these became readily available but its been completely neglected.